Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL 10MB Cable with Netgear DG834G V2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL 10MB Cable with Netgear DG834G V2

Old 17-12-2005, 00:17   #1
TimBrad
Inactive

TimBrad is an unknown quantity at this point
NTL 10MB Cable with Netgear DG834G V2

hey guys, i was just wondering if someone could help me with a query, i'm currently on 1mb ADSL, getting NTL 10MB cable next week, i currently use the Netgear DG834G V2 router/adsl modem for my wired & wireless pc's around the house, i know i won't be able to use the firewall etc.. with NTL but was wondering if this would be compatible? or would i need a new router? if so, what would you guys suggest.

Thanks.
TimBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-12-2005, 00:28   #2
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: NTL 10MB Cable with Netgear DG834G V2

Hi, and to the forums.

You would need a new router.
Your router has a built in ADSL modem and NTL dont use this type of technology. NTL provide you with a cable modem instead.
Your cable modem will go into a normal cable router so that is what you need, and not an ADSL router.

Plenty of cable routers reccomended here:
http://cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33018

Most will cope with 10mb speed, but to be sure post the one you intend to buy and we'l check it.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2005, 00:49   #3
TimBrad
Inactive

Thanks for the welcome!

Since you advised looking for a new route ri looked around and found Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G SpeedBooster Broadband Router/4-Port Switch (NW-006-LS) recommended by a friend, found it for £57 on overclcokersUK, but if you think that would work, please let me know, NTL come weds so i'll get it ordered to hopefully have it here for then!
Old 17-12-2005, 01:20   #4
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I'm half falling asleeep right now, but from a quick check, that router sounds fine.
Dont know anything about their "Speed booster" technology it comes with, but it seems to support all types of Wireless connections so thats fine, as well as wired.
Looks like it shouldnt have any problems for coping with 10mb speeds.

There is an article that compares the Linksys range here if you want more info on them:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...showpage&pid=6

But yeah that looks good.
Right, Im off to get some sleep.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2005, 01:33   #5
TimBrad
Inactive

Thanks for your help mate, appreciated Wil order it first thing and hope it gets here for sat! Will it just be a case of plug & play or will it need configuring at all?
Old 17-12-2005, 09:40   #6
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=31794
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote