Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL , USB cable , Network, laptop

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL , USB cable , Network, laptop

Old 05-12-2006, 13:01   #1
PhilDPerv
Inactive

PhilDPerv is an unknown quantity at this point
NTL , USB cable , Network, laptop

Okay first post here .... Hello ..... and I'm after gleaming a bit of information from those in the know.

Okay as the title suggests , I have NTL broadband connected to my PC via USB , in the process of getting a laptop with wireless enabled. My question is this , whats the best route to take to connect it up , I would like to be able to us the laptop with the PC turned off. Ive searched here & I read about the Ethernet connection but like I say mine is USB .....

Just after a definitive answer or link to the correct post , many thanks in advance
PhilDPerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2006, 13:08   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: NTL , USB cable , Network, laptop

The Cable Modem will have two sockets, one USB and one Ethernet, the best option for you since the Laptop is wireless would be to get a Wireless Router which can be had from around £20 depending on where you look, it would allow both the PC and the Laptop to be used at the same time as well.

Ethernet is by far the best way to go for Internet anyway as this is what it was made for and USB Networking is usually dire at best.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 13:15   #3
PhilDPerv
Inactive

By cable modem are you refering to the set top box , that controls the Cable TV , its just the the wire comes out of this into the PC , no other boxes involved .
Old 05-12-2006, 13:23   #4
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Some (most) people on NTL's network have a stand alone cable modem and a separate Set Top Box. Others (like you) get TV as well as internet through their Set Top Box. The same reasoning applies though. A (wireless) router should do the job for you.
Old 05-12-2006, 13:25   #5
PhilDPerv
Inactive

Great , many thanks . are there any recomendations on which one ?
Old 05-12-2006, 13:26   #6
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

The linksys WRT54G is a popular choice...

There's a nice writeup on routers here
Old 05-12-2006, 13:33   #7
PhilDPerv
Inactive

In that case I'll have a look for that .

So I take it that the USB cable will go into the router , the this in turn will connect to my PC via USB , and by the magic of wireless connection to my laptop. Thus enabling me Internet access and file shareing ( when the PC is on ).

Sorry about all the questions, old hand at PC's but new to Networking
Old 05-12-2006, 13:42   #8
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDPerv View Post
In that case I'll have a look for that .

So I take it that the USB cable will go into the router , the this in turn will connect to my PC via USB , and by the magic of wireless connection to my laptop. Thus enabling me Internet access and file shareing ( when the PC is on ).

Sorry about all the questions, old hand at PC's but new to Networking
My linksys router doesn't have USB, just ethernet, so you'd have to check if your Set Top Box has ethernet. If that is the case, substitute USB for ethernet, and your above scenario is correct. Obviously, you could opt to connect the PC wirelessly as well (saving you a messy cable), but you still need an ethernet connection from the Set Top Box to the router.
Old 05-12-2006, 14:02   #9
PhilDPerv
Inactive

Thanks Dan , think I'll have a look at the old set top when I get in , TBH thought the box looks ancient so I wont be holding my breath for an Ethernet output , but you never know .

Would like to go the wireless route that you suggested to the PC , so I take it that means getting a WiFi card for the PC.

** Edit to above post *** come to think about it I'm sure its connected to a converter before it goes into the USB , so I'm going to assume for the mo that this is an Ethernet connection converter , if so problem solved .... rep points awarded & inappropriate thoughts passed on.
Old 05-12-2006, 14:15   #10
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Broadband supplied by STB uses an ethernet cable which has a USB adaptor plugged in at the computer end. It should be possible to simply unplug that adaptor.

To convert over to using ethernet, power off the STB, swap the cables over from USB to ethernet and plug the ethernet into the network card in your PC. If you don't have an ethernet card, these are available from any decent high street computer shop for around a tenner. When you power up the STB, let that settle, then power up the PC. The first time you then try to browse the internet you will be taken to ntl's registration page. You'll need the details ntl originally sent you for your account password and stuff.

If you connect a router so you can add your laptop, you again need to power off the STB, connect up the wiring, then power on the STB, then router, then PC(s). The router would be seen by ntl as a new computer, so again when you first browse you'd be taken to the ntl registration screen.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 14:21   #11
PhilDPerv
Inactive

Think I edited my post above whilst you were typing that Rob , just came to the same conclusion ( but in less technical words ) . Many thanks for pointing this out , looks like I should be able to sort it out no problem and with minimal expense.