Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | sharing internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

sharing internet

Old 15-05-2008, 17:41   #1
maximx86
Inactive

maximx86 is an unknown quantity at this point
sharing internet

I have recently been connected by VM. I want to share my connection as I have 3 computers at home. I am not thinking about wireless. I need cables. The black box I was supplied with is that just a modem or is it a router. Does it have DHCP? How can I log onto it and check the settings? When I go to 192.168.100.1 it shows the status of the box, nothing more...

Thanks
maximx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-05-2008, 17:49   #2
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads
Re: sharing internet

You need a cable router. In myopinion, the Linksys WRT54G is an excellent one. You can connect up to 4 things with casbles or loads of things wirelessly. It is £39.99 at www.amazon.co.uk

Link
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 17:55   #3
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

The "Box" you have is just a Modem or a Cable Network Interface, as Oliver says you will need a router, the price difference between a wireless and non-wireless router is negligible so you might as well get a wireless router and turn off/secure the wireless part until you decide (if you decide) you want to use it!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 18:47   #4
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to hold on for a week or two...

VM have recently suspended a special offer that effectively offered their own version of a popular wireless router to many customers for nothing. As in, FREE.
It was so popular that they've had to hold off further orders but it could well be back soon.

If you're too impatient to wait that long, you can order the same router from VM for £40.
(NB: The £40 is to supply and support the router, not to purchase it -- it remains the property of VM.)

The only advantage of this deal is that if you have a problem, eg. you can't get it working correctly, it'll be up to Tech Support to show you how to fix it.
ceedee is offline   Reply With Quote