Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cannot connect Netgear MR814v2 + Webstar EPC2100r2 On Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cannot connect Netgear MR814v2 + Webstar EPC2100r2 On Virgin

Old 08-05-2007, 16:48   #1
Mic-Roch
Inactive

Mic-Roch is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Cannot connect Netgear MR814v2 + Webstar EPC2100r2 On Virgin

Hello everyone, Im new to the forum so Ive had a good look around all the threads but am still stuck with my 2 problems.
Im hoping one of you friendly and more clever than me people can help.

I have Virgin Media Broadband, the modem is a Webstar EPC2100 r2. This works great and I am using it as I type.

I have purchased the Netgear MR814v2 wireless router.
After following all the installation instructions tighter than Sherlock Holmes on a mystery hunt, I am still no closer to having a working wireless network.

Whenever I connect the modem>router>pc chain, my internet is no longer accessible. I refer not to the wireless access, I havent tried this yet as I require my main PC that has the modem attached to work first and foremost.
My connection cannot renew IP, therefore limits connectivity.
If I take the router out the chain everything works fine.

I have gone thru all the tips and tricks recommended by Netgear but to no avail still. Some of this has to do with my next problem .........

The 2nd thing is that I cannot access the main setup for the router either (where you goto 192.168.0.1), but I have had access when I first tried plugging in the Router to my setup. Just not been able to access this "control panel" since.

I have tried the hard reset on the back of the router, nothing changes, nor does it allow the same access that I got the first time I hooked up the router (which according to some sources, it should after a hard reset!).

I am getting extremely confused, after reading all the topics and posts on here my head is filled with technical jargon I do not understand. So if anyone can help me I may need it spelling out to me, I apologize for my lack of intelligence on this matter. I am not a stupid person, as I run the forums for a friends business, I understand many complicated situations, just not this.. LOL

Like I said, I have gone through your forum threads but no one seems to have exactly the same problem and setup as myself.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp.
Mic-Roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2007, 18:32   #2
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: Cannot connect Netgear MR814v2 + Webstar EPC2100r2 On Virgin

you need to make sure you reboot your cable modem when you switch your connection from directly to the modem to going via the router.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 18:56   #3
Mic-Roch
Inactive

Mic-Roch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the welcome Chris.

I have already done this.

I have actually followed every guideline already given by netgear, which includes your recommendation.
I also did the whole turn off/on process, i.e. shutdown router, then modem, then pc. the turned on modem, let it boot, then the router, let it boot, then pc. still no luck.
Thanks for the suggestion tho Chris.
Can you think of anything else?
Mic-Roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:34   #4
redredpoppy
Inactive

Services: VM TV, Broadband 10kb (or feels like it)
redredpoppy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hlo.
I had the same problem as you. I tried Belkin, Linksys and Netgear routers(two of each cos they claimed that they must be 'faulty') with my then Telewest cable and powering everything up numerous times in the right order, cloning MAC addresses, you name it, it simply would not connect. I went through hours of tech support with Belkin and Linksys and they couldn't help in the end.
I phoned Telewest loads of times and they didn't help. In the end, I gave up trying to get wireless, there was nothing I could do. How come there are a lot of happy customers who use exactly the same service and the same gear and seemingly connect first time?
By the way, if anyone would like to help, I'm on Virgin cable now (as everyone) with Motorola surfboard modem and I have a Linksys laptop wireless card waiting and I'm open to any suggestions of a router that might WORK!
redredpoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 18:24   #5
mac5
Inactive

mac5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to jump on your post but am having the same problems as you but my password keeps rejecting and I have reset to factory setting but still nothing Am using a webstar modem and am on virgin broadband. i know this doesnt help u but we must be doing something wrong?
mac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 21:16   #6
cybercoffee
Inactive

cybercoffee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I have the same problem and I have tried everything myself. It is a netgear mr814v2 router and epc2100r2 modem. there has been no response to this for quite some time. if anyone has come up with a solution, plz do let me know as i have run out of options
cybercoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 02:40   #7
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic-Roch View Post

The 2nd thing is that I cannot access the main setup for the router either (where you goto 192.168.0.1), but I have had access when I first tried plugging in the Router to my setup. Just not been able to access this "control panel" since.
To access my Netgear config page I have to type 192.168.1.1
Perhaps this is why you can't access it?
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 06:20   #8
Quam256
Inactive

Services: XL,Phone and 60mb .
Quam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of light

What operating system are you lot using ? XP or Vista .
Quam256 is offline   Reply With Quote