Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WPA router, but no WPA compatability on laptop ... help !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

WPA router, but no WPA compatability on laptop ... help !

Old 01-04-2006, 18:30   #1
goblin
Inactive

goblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nice
WPA router, but no WPA compatability on laptop ... help !

Hi,

WinXP Home SP2 updated.

I'm hoping someone can assist me in finding the solution to this problem. I have a new (to me) laptop a Feujitsu-Siemens Amilo M704, it has wireless capability and has no problem detecting my Linksys WRT54G router.

Unfortunately, my laptop cannot communicate with my router. The router uses WPA\PKIP encryption. Whilst the laptop uses WEP.

Does anyone know how to get the laptop to use the same level of encryption that the router does? Specifically WPA.

Thank you.
goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2006, 18:35   #2
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age
Re: WPA router, but no WPA compatability on laptop ... help !

change the encryption on the router to WEP? i've got the same one - it supports both WEP and WPA.
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 20:57   #3
goblin
Inactive

goblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxbandit
change the encryption on the router to WEP? i've got the same one - it supports both WEP and WPA.
Yes, I thought of that. But ISTR when I sought advice here on which router to purchase. It was sugested that WPA was more secure than WEP and so that's what I chose to use. I haven't had any problems using this particular protocol with my Inspiron laptop, so I can only assume it's something I have to do with Windows, but I'm at a total loss as to which way to turn on this. I would rather not use WEP due to the security concerns.

So I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on getting WPA working with this laptop.

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-04-2006, 21:16   #4
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

WPA is much stronger, yes - WEP will probably only keep out a casual cracker...

i cant seem to find any mention of an amilo M704 on the web, can you check what model it is and see if there's any info as to whether the wireless adapter supports WPA? getting the latest drivers may help, i don't know.

failing all else, you could buy a usb wireless adapter.
Old 02-04-2006, 00:39   #5
goblin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxbandit
WPA is much stronger, yes - WEP will probably only keep out a casual cracker...
That is similar to what I was told.

Quote:
i cant seem to find any mention of an amilo M704 on the web, can you check what model it is and see if there's any info as to whether the wireless adapter supports WPA? getting the latest drivers may help, i don't know.
I had the same problem trying to find any information on this particular model. Reviews are somewhat elusive, the only thing I could find is this one http://www.whatlaptop.co.uk/cFEthwZo-WckGQ.html

I shall see if I can find the drivers.

Quote:
failing all else, you could buy a usb wireless adapter.
I'm trying to avoid having anything stuck out the back of this thing, as such items have a habit of catching on things which result in accidents Which is the reason for trying my hardest to get WPA working So I don't have to go down this route.

Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2006, 00:45   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

What O/S is the laptop running?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:52   #7
bmxbandit
Inactive

another possibility if you're worried about WEP, is to only allow the MAC addresses of your computers to connect to the network (but still use WEP). it's not perfect, but it'd be a lot harder to crack.

another thought: can you go into device manager (go to control panel/system/hardware) and see if it tells you the name of the wireless adapter? it *might* be 'Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG', or something similar...