Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WNR2000 and EEEPC 1000H - speeds are dire via wireless

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

WNR2000 and EEEPC 1000H - speeds are dire via wireless

Old 19-11-2009, 18:17   #1
Retrovertigo
Inactive

Retrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really nice
WNR2000 and EEEPC 1000H - speeds are dire via wireless

Getting 50meg installed tomorrow and in anticipation decided to get a WNR2000 setup that I already had here (long story short, VM convinced me a while back my router was faulty - it wasn't - but was too late and had bought this router off them)

Everything was easy to set up. But wireless speeds can only be described as pathetic. I have tried changing the broadcast channel to no avail. The Asus netbook has a wireless N card onboard but setting up the higher speed on the router results in even worse performance, with webpages timing out.

I'm obviously only on 20meg at the moment - but surely any speed set on the router should broadcast ok if I have a compatible laptop?

Is the USB dongle they provide mandatory, and will possibly fix this? Or is the dongle only for machines with no N capability?

Bit gutted at the moment as the Asus is used as my primary machine. The only solution I have found so far on the Asus forums - is using a different router :/

Thanks for any help
Retrovertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-11-2009, 18:30   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: WNR2000 and EEEPC 1000H - speeds are dire via wireless

I have heard of people having issues with the inbuilt Wireless on these EEE PCs? Can anyone verify that?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 10:06   #3
bomber_g
Inactive

Services: Lots
bomber_g will become famous soon enoughbomber_g will become famous soon enoughbomber_g will become famous soon enough

only what I have read on forums - I had an Elonex one - which is basically a big calculator with Linux on it :/ and I had to upgrade the firmware on it - otherwise it would only connect to my router on channel 1 for some reason...

all a bit weird - I'd probably just check their site for updated drivers / firmware and go from there.

other than that - take it to your local bar / cafe that has a wireless connection ( varsity? ) and see if you get the same problem
bomber_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 12:19   #4
Retrovertigo
Inactive

Retrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really nice

Yeah it must be am issue with the netbook itself. I have messed around some more and can get around 25meg now (which obviously is more than enough) but no matter what I try I can't get the full 50meg or even close.
Retrovertigo is offline   Reply With Quote