Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connecting 2 computers through belkin router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connecting 2 computers through belkin router

Old 14-06-2008, 14:06   #1
trader
Inactive

trader is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Connecting 2 computers through belkin router

Hello forum,
My Mac and PC were happily hooked up through a router. I moved flats, had VM installed. I cannot now connect the 2 computers through the router. Have I got the right cables - blue, green and yellow I am trying to use.
Any suggestions?
trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-06-2008, 14:25   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Connecting 2 computers through belkin router

1. to Cable Forum

2. Unfortunately you've posted this in the wrong section, I would expect that one of the Team will be along shortly to move it

3. Unfortunately there's no way to tell if you're using the right cables by the colour of them, identical cables often come in many different colours.

If these were the cables that you were using previously then there's no reason at all why it shouldn't be working - what else have you changed since you moved?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 14:31   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Thread moved

Were you previously using an ADSL (BT phone line) type Broadband. If so does your router have an ADSL modem inbuilt. That type of router will be incompatible with cable broadband.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 14:33   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Maybe I misread the OP, but I thought he was trying to connect the two computers together - you could be right though, there does seem to be some ambiguity. If he is trying to connect them both to the could be issues as you say.

Some clarification is needed methinks
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 16:46   #5
trader
Inactive

Sorry about the incorrect place. I was connected previously to cable NtL. I recall I connected the router to the NtL black box. Virgin has given me a separate modem which I have been trying to network my two computers from it to the router and then onto to the PC and the Mac.
Old 14-06-2008, 17:23   #6
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

First of all if you plug the virgin modem straight into the back of each computer one at a time, can you access the Internet ?
Remember to power down the modem and PC each time you move to the other computer.

Once we have established web is fine on both systems, then proceed.

Have you got it setup so that first you turn on modem, wait 30 seconds, then turn on router. (Make sure modem ethernet cable is connected properly from virgin modem into Wan or Internet port on router).
Then plug in your computers and power them on. Can you get Internet ?
Make sure you have settings set to automaticly detect settings in Innternet options, Control panel and that there is no proxy that is set.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 18:12   #7
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

here 1st of all... (some people are just rude here now)

okay I asume that both the mac and the pc can get on the net from the belkin router?

now with regards to sharing files between the mac and the pc that can be a bit tricky, which os have you got on the pc?
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 19:31   #8
trader
Inactive

I am not too good at this!! I have tried the PC on the "good" internet connection on my Mac. The problem is the PC has network connection settings different to the successful Mac connection. The PC has a physical address of OO-OB-CD-5D-88-28, an Ip address of 169.254.58.208 and a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.
The good connection has an IP address of 86.7.153.244 and a host address of cpc2-bror1-0-0-cust499.bmly.cable.ntl.com. How can I change the PC details and what about the subnet mask which my new VM connection does not have!
Cheers again
Old 14-06-2008, 20:00   #9
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

What is the model number of the router?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 20:07   #10
trader
Inactive

To Stuart C
Belkin model is - 4-port router - F5D5231-4
Cheers
Old 14-06-2008, 20:21   #11
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

It sounds like the router is not issuing IP addresses.

Make sure that the cable modem is connected to the WAN port (usually seperate from the four LAN ports).

Now, do the following: https://www4.belkin.com/support/arti...id=15&scid=220
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 22:20   #12
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Trader, the router have you got the Virgin modem connected to the LAN port or the WAN port?

sounds to me like its on the WAN.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 18:18   #13
trader
Inactive

To all,
Many thanks, all your clues amounted to a successful network set up.
Cheers