Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Samsung Galaxy Note 8, S8 & S8+ question.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Samsung Galaxy Note 8, S8 & S8+ question.

Old 17-09-2017, 14:59   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Samsung Galaxy Note 8, S8 & S8+ question.

On Friday I picked up the Note 8.

I cannot get Bixby to work, but I believe it only does US English ATM, do the S8, S8+ people have this issue?

On my Note 4 I had it set up to tell me who in my Favourites is contacting me, and calender notifications.

But I cannot remember where this was, I don't want to be told what button, screen i'm on etc.

Please help me find this on the Note 8.
Old 17-09-2017, 16:03   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 8, S8 & S8+ question.

I think Samsung have removed the option to read notifications out loud, which I think is what you're after. Seems to have gone since the S7.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-...-gone-t3343493

Bixby Voice is more like Google Assistant and Siri in that you talk to it and it'll reply, rather than general speech system. I have got it working on my S8, but as you say I've had to set it as US English.

Last edited by BenMcr; 17-09-2017 at 16:09.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 16:11   #3
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Bixby working on my S8 since last month. Its like Google assistant or Siri and can do a lot of system stuff,

eg I can ask bixby to set the brightness among other things.
Old 17-09-2017, 16:37   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I think Samsung have removed the option to read notifications out loud, which I think is what you're after. Seems to have gone since the S7.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-...-gone-t3343493

Bixby Voice is more like Google Assistant and Siri in that you talk to it and it'll reply, rather than general speech system. I have got it working on my S8, but as you say I've had to set it as US English.
Do you have to change Language to US English in "Language & Input"?
Old 17-09-2017, 16:53   #5
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

No its just the Bixby settings for voice that will be US English.
Old 17-09-2017, 17:01   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
No its just the Bixby settings for voice that will be US English.
Where is that as I can't find it, I press the button and it is going thorugh the set up, it recognises me saying open up the gallary etc, but I'm stuck after pressing the Bixbly button it cannot hear me say "Hi Bixby"?
Old 17-09-2017, 17:40   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quick press and release the Bixby button and it should open the main Bixby screen. In top right corner click the three dots and you should get the Bixby Settings.
Old 18-09-2017, 12:32   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

And as we're discussing Bixby - https://www.sammobile.com/2017/09/18...-bixby-button/