Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Vodafone in talks with Openreach over FTTP investment

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

BT still laying old fashioned copper wires!

Old 14-09-2017, 19:58   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
BT still laying old fashioned copper wires!

Surely this is a false economy, as in the future it will have to be upgraded??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...per-wires.html
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-09-2017, 20:53   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: BT still laying old fashioned copper wires!

Its not BT, its openreach.

Do they still do this due to the stupid ofcom regulation that a phoneline has to work in a power cut
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 01:33   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Don't know, but the landline has always worked whenever I've had a powercut (which I've found to be very useful).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 05:53   #4
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Don't know, but the landline has always worked whenever I've had a powercut (which I've found to be very useful).

If there is a powercut in my area the VM land line dose not work, this has happened to my area twice
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 09:31   #5
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

The reason I went to Nynex was because when I was in labour with my first child there was a storm that affected my BT line and the only working phone was my neighbour's who had moved across to Nynex. Taken over by Cable and Wireless and then VM it still works when BT lines become a cropper in bad weather.
Old 15-09-2017, 11:23   #6
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Good to see the Fail are as accurate on technology as they are everything else. Using a 'city editor' and a 'finance editor' for a story that's mostly about technology, good call.

Openreach offer full-fibre to every development of over 30 properties. I emphasise offer - it's down to the developer whether they take Openreach up on the fibre or ask for copper.

Spain and Portugal do indeed have higher proportions of full-fibre solutions. They also, however, have a lot more of the population living in apartments and, unlike Ofcom, Spain's regulator allowed Telefonica a regulatory break meaning they could keep higher speed full-fibre products to themselves for a time which improved the business case.

As an aside, an indication of how moronic the UK's policies on full-fibre networks are can be found in one simple case - while Matt Hancock and the rest are banging on about full-fibre networks the government is increasing business rates on them.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote