Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media TV pricing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media TV pricing

Old 09-11-2017, 00:22   #1
Bananaman_007
Inactive

Bananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really nice
Virgin Media TV pricing

I had been a 3 service customer with Virgin Media for 7 years. Every year around price rise time i would ring and negotiate a deal. Basically keeping my prices roughly the same, however this year Virgin refused.

I had lost my loyalty discount and my bill had gone from about £55 a month to £75 i thought that was a bit much so tried to negotiate. They offered me the package for £71 and kept telling me i had a lot of discounts in the past and that is all they could do. So i told them to take off the phone and TV and after 30 day and no calls from retentions they did this and i returned the boxes keeping only the broadband.

I have now released how little i watched the premium TV offering but Virgin are calling me, e-mailing me and giving me offers on my account to try and entice me back.

This has somewhat angered me.

After the 30 days notice was up and my tv and phone services were terminated i had to ring VM to get a price for my broadband. They could not give me that until my other services ended. At that point i still had the boxes and spoke to both new connections who told me i was not a new customer (fair enough) but also the customer experience team who confirmed i was not an existing customer (even though i had the BB still). At that point i would have been happy to keep the services if they had made a sensible offer. What i had was being offered to new customers for £51 and they wanted me to pay £71 and i would have met in the middle however they stood firm so just went internet only

This happened 2 weeks ago and since then i have been offered what i had for the new customer rate of £51 as well as several other really good deals.

I guess what i am asking is have VM changed the way they give loyalty discount and if so why? It is a risky practice by VM choosing to not value the exisiting customers in any way and just letting them leave to then try and win them back when many like me will have gone elsewhere.
Bananaman_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2017, 09:37   #2
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media TV pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 View Post
I had been a 3 service customer with Virgin Media for 7 years. Every year around price rise time i would ring and negotiate a deal. Basically keeping my prices roughly the same, however this year Virgin refused.

I had lost my loyalty discount and my bill had gone from about £55 a month to £75 i thought that was a bit much so tried to negotiate. They offered me the package for £71 and kept telling me i had a lot of discounts in the past and that is all they could do. So i told them to take off the phone and TV and after 30 day and no calls from retentions they did this and i returned the boxes keeping only the broadband.

I have now released how little i watched the premium TV offering but Virgin are calling me, e-mailing me and giving me offers on my account to try and entice me back.

After the 30 days notice was up and my tv and phone services were terminated i had to ring VM to get a price for my broadband. They could not give me that until my other services ended. At that point i still had the boxes and spoke to both new connections who told me i was not a new customer (fair enough) but also the customer experience team who confirmed i was not an existing customer (even though i had the BB still). At that point i would have been happy to keep the services if they had made a sensible offer. What i had was being offered to new customers for £51 and they wanted me to pay £71 and i would have met in the middle however they stood firm so just went internet only

This happened 2 weeks ago and since then i have been offered what i had for the new customer rate of £51 as well as several other really good deals.

I guess what i am asking is have VM changed the way they give loyalty discount and if so why? It is a risky practice by VM choosing to not value the exisiting customers in any way and just letting them leave to then try and win them back when many like me will have gone elsewhere.
My view is that we should all be paying the same, depending on the package we have.

If customer A has a discount, customers B, C and D end up paying for it. I don't like having to re-negotiate the price I pay at the end of each contract. This practice is a relatively recent one and it drives me mad. It's the same now with the energy companies, insurance companies, etc and it's all about squeezing those customers who don't realise they czn get a better deal.

Inevitably, this affects the poor worst of all.

I'm sorry that you were faced with this price rise, but I really do think that VM and Sky should stop this practice. It is manipulative and unfair, and encourages people to be greedy about everything.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:30   #3
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 View Post

With all due respect if you can't or don't want to pay the asking price for the services you get, why do you expect to keep getting discounts?

I'm with OLD BOY in that we should all be paying the same for the same packages unless there is some kind of fault which results in a refund.

Last edited by Mythica; 09-11-2017 at 11:59.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:41   #4
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
My view is that we should all be paying the same, depending on the package we have.

If customer A has a discount, customers B, C and D end up paying for it. I don't like having to re-negotiate the price I pay at the end of each contract. This practice is a relatively recent one and it drives me mad. It's the same now with the energy companies, insurance companies, etc and it's all about squeezing those customers who don't realise they czn get a better deal.

Inevitably, this affects the poor worst of all.

I'm sorry that you were faced with this price rise, but I really do think that VM and Sky should stop this practice. It is manipulative and unfair, and encourages people to be greedy about everything.
The greed lies with VM with their inflation busting price rises once or more each year. If you're proactive enough to ring up, query it and get a discount then good on you. It's being sensible, not greedy.
daveeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:08   #5
nicknewark
Inactive

Services: V6 Tivo, Virgin BB, Freesat, NowTV. PS4 Pro
nicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation era

I agree, if you don't ask you don't get. But you have to be prepared to walk away!.

On my last contract renewal, I didn't even have to speak to anyone, I called retentions, and an automated message advised me I could renew my contract and keep my current discounts. Happy.

---------- Post added at 11:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 ----------

Nothing wrong with challenging price increases, I do with quite a few of my suppliers, I always want the best price I can get. I don't think I am greedy, but I am careful on my household spend. I have to be.
nicknewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:41   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
The greed lies with VM with their inflation busting price rises once or more each year. If you're proactive enough to ring up, query it and get a discount then good on you. It's being sensible, not greedy.
I am not criticising customers who jump on this bandwagon to save money, but everyone needs to understand that VM is a commercial company. It needs to both cover its costs and make money for its shareholders, as well as invest for the future.

Giving discounts is all very well, but the cost of those discounts is met by putting up prices for others. I don't think people are actually making that connection.

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknewark View Post
I agree, if you don't ask you don't get. But you have to be prepared to walk away!.

On my last contract renewal, I didn't even have to speak to anyone, I called retentions, and an automated message advised me I could renew my contract and keep my current discounts. Happy.

---------- Post added at 11:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 ----------

Nothing wrong with challenging price increases, I do with quite a few of my suppliers, I always want the best price I can get. I don't think I am greedy, but I am careful on my household spend. I have to be.
Of course you are, but when you get your council tax bill, you don't expect to be able to haggle about how much you are going to pay, do you?

As I said in my last post, it is the suppliers who are responsible for the present arrangements and I think it is an inherently unfair arrangement, always leaving the most vulnerable to pay more.

What kind of society are we becoming? Not a particularly caring one, it seems. More like everyone for themselves.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:56   #7
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Those that never query these increases and have been a customer for many years will be paying an astronomical amount. I dread to think what my bill would be if I'd never renegotiated in 20 years. It's a bore bit it's the way VM want play it, for maximum profit on their part. Changing gas/electricity supplier is easy and prices are transparent; with Vm prices are anything but transparent.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 13:45   #8
nicknewark
Inactive

nicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation era

That's right, I cannot control my Council Tax Bill, TV Licensing or Water rates, for example, but the ones I do have control of I make sure I'm getting the best deal.

---------- Post added at 12:45 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

if I had stayed with the same Home Insurer for the past three years, I would be paying triple what I am now. It's just how I choose to do it, and would encourage any of my family and friends to do the same.

Last edited by nicknewark; 09-11-2017 at 13:40.
Old 09-11-2017, 13:49   #9
Bananaman_007
Inactive

Bananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really nice

What I was trying to say was I challenged the price rise I was told take it or leave it I thought fair enough and was quite happy to settle for broadband only and pay the asking price.

I have taken my business elsewhere for tv now but really didnt want the hastle. Certainly not going to go through that hastle again to get TV back with VM.

However it is VM now persuing me not the other way round offering me discounts. If this is something they can do then why let me go through the hastle of sending my boxes back? Surely me sending my boxes back costs them money to recondition them and for postage charges. For them to offer me a better deal on tv when I would have been happy to pay more
Old 09-11-2017, 13:52   #10
nicknewark
Inactive

I have in the past with VM, for example reduced my BB to gain a better price, there does have to be give and take, I agree.
Old 09-11-2017, 13:52   #11
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Last week we dropped the V6 boxes after just 6 days and a 50 mins nightmare phone call (we weren't too impressed with the V6's to be honest). Just got internet and phone and looks like VM have made a mistake on the contract and left the 9 months VIP discount of £26 on the new contract. I phoned this morning but the chap I spoke to didn't seem bothered so I've left it (I tried so my conscience is clear).

Cheers

Dave
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 13:58   #12
Bananaman_007
Inactive

I dont want VM to play games with their customers. They should just say this is the price and its the same for everybody.

To me its like the called my bluff thinking he wont leave and when I did they panic offered me deals and discounts.

Please dont let me send my kit back before doing this that was very annoying.

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Last week we dropped the V6 boxes after just 6 days and a 50 mins nightmare phone call (we weren't too impressed with the V6's to be honest). Just got internet and phone and looks like VM have made a mistake on the contract and left the 9 months VIP discount of £26 on the new contract. I phoned this morning but the chap I spoke to didn't seem bothered so I've left it (I tried so my conscience is clear).

Cheers

Dave
I got the opposite. I went from full house to bb only and my bill went from £75 with full house to £93 for broadband only.

Took 3 attempts to get them to fix it
Old 09-11-2017, 20:37   #13
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
I am not criticising customers who jump on this bandwagon to save money, but everyone needs to understand that VM is a commercial company. It needs to both cover its costs and make money for its shareholders, as well as invest for the future.

Giving discounts is all very well, but the cost of those discounts is met by putting up prices for others. I don't think people are actually making that connection.

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

Of course you are, but when you get your council tax bill, you don't expect to be able to haggle about how much you are going to pay, do you?

As I said in my last post, it is the suppliers who are responsible for the present arrangements and I think it is an inherently unfair arrangement, always leaving the most vulnerable to pay more.

What kind of society are we becoming? Not a particularly caring one, it seems. More like everyone for themselves.
Actually, if you don't like your council tax bill you have 2 options

Vote the council out and get one that cuts services or move to an area with lower council tax rates.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:37   #14
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Actually, if you don't like your council tax bill you have 2 options

Vote the council out and get one that cuts services or move to an area with lower council tax rates.
That's not as easy as you make it sound, and in TV terms, you could move to another provider.

But the point I am making is we should all be paying the same to Virgin according to the package selected. I don't expect to go to a store and be charged 10 quid for my washing powder and then see some old dear being fleeced for £14.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:35   #15
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I don't expect to go to a store and be charged 10 quid for my washing powder and then see some old dear being fleeced for £14.
That's because stores aren't very good at that sort of thing yet
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-personal-data
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote