Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Vista Desk Top And XP Laptop Sharing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Vista Desk Top And XP Laptop Sharing

Old 28-08-2009, 20:23   #1
chrome
Inactive

Services: Broardband XL BB Tv XL V+ M Phone
chrome is on a distinguished roadchrome is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to chrome
Question Vista Desk Top And XP Laptop Sharing

hi all, this is driving me nuts, what i want to do is to share file between desktop ( vista prem ) connected to router via cable and laptop ( xp home ) connected wirelessly, could someone please point me in the right direction ( step by step instructions would help ) or can any of you guys and girls give my step by step instructions, thanks all
chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-08-2009, 22:13   #2
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
Re: Vista Desk Top And XP Laptop Sharing

good luck

okay 1st of all can you ping the XP laptop from your vista machine? if not then check firewall. Next you would have to put the drive in sharing mode on the xp machine.
easiest way to connect is:

\\(ip address)\ and this should bring up any of the shared drives on that pc.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 22:15   #3
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Forget it - way to frustrating!
Get a USB key ;-)
Or even put the file on your VM webspace / Live filespace.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 23:13   #4
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Go in Network Connections on the XP and click 'Set up a home or small office network' and note down the workgroup you have chosen. Complete the wizard and restart the machine. On Vista, set the workgroup to the same as you did on the XP, by right clicking Computer and clicking Properties and selecting Change Settings under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings and restart the machine. Open 'Network' from either the desktop or start menu and open the Network and Sharing Center. Ensure Network Discovery and File Sharing and Public folder sharing are enabled and Password Protected sharing is disabled (see attachment). Then open computer and click on Public on the left (see attachment) and drag the files you want to share into there. Back on the XP computer, open My Network Places and you should be able to find the public folder on the Vista computer, where you can drag the files onto your machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg networksharing.jpg (73.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg computerpublic.jpg (61.7 KB, 6 views)
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 00:09   #5
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

You have any luck chrome?
Old 31-08-2009, 00:28   #6
chrome
Inactive

Yea all workin fine, comps both sharing now, just got to check which files and folders i am sharing, other than that, thank you. SA V+ box been playing up 2 nite pic goind off sound going off, from what i have seen could be a national issue.
Old 31-08-2009, 00:33   #7
Ben B
Inactive

Hmmm strange, my V+ has been alright today. Are you ex-NTL or ex-Telewest? Glad you got the sharing sorted
Old 31-08-2009, 00:46   #8
chrome
Inactive

ntl

---------- Post added at 00:46 ---------- Previous post was at 00:38 ----------

can i pick your brain again, my desktop is in a different room to lcd tv, i don't fancy running cables though ( have to be a good 20m long ). all i really want is to access media player on tv. my graphics card had 2 monitor out and s-video. i thought of using a video sender but have seen they can cause problems with wireless connection.i don't want to spend a lot ( who can at this time ), any ideas thanks
Old 31-08-2009, 00:58   #9
Ben B
Inactive

I'd still suggest a Video Sender. You'd have to get an S-Video to composite lead which would attach to a composite>composite lead into the Video Sender. Then you would need a speaker to phono lead which would go from the pc into the video sender. To stop interference you'd have to set the video sender to say Channel 1 and have the internet higher e.g 9+ that way they will not interfere with eachother.