Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SKY+ warranty upgrade

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SKY+ warranty upgrade

Old 16-07-2007, 13:30   #1
Overkill
Inactive

Overkill is an unknown quantity at this point
SKY+ warranty upgrade

Sky are bombarding me with phone calls at the moment to get me to upgrade the warranty on my Sky + box.

The first 12 months are almost up, and they are offering me another 12 months for £99. My brother told me that it costs £60 to have an engineer out and get a replacement box...So surely this is a bad deal, no?
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-07-2007, 13:45   #2
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman
Re: SKY+ warranty upgrade

I would not bother , If it all goes pete tong you can get a replacement box on ebay and there are people doing them with upgraded hard drives too.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 19:52   #3
Bulky
Inactive

Bulky has reached the bronze age
Bulky has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
Sky are bombarding me with phone calls at the moment to get me to upgrade the warranty on my Sky + box.

The first 12 months are almost up, and they are offering me another 12 months for £99. My brother told me that it costs £60 to have an engineer out and get a replacement box...So surely this is a bad deal, no?
definately do not take up an extended warranty , you will get calls from third party repair places as well , sky wanted £65 to replace the hard drive in my sky+ box as it was out of warranty , did it myself for about £30 . Have also hears a lot of the third party people that ring you are bogus (think i read this on a 'digital spy' thread somewhere)
Old 16-07-2007, 19:53   #4
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

It's a rip mate - I've had a couple of flyers through the post with 30pt font red letters - WARNING - YOUR WARRANTY IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE etc...

I shredded them!
Old 16-07-2007, 20:54   #5
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Avoid, as already mentioned.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 21:15   #6
smiffing
Inactive

Services: VM 2 Mb Vm basic television VM telephone
smiffing is just really nicesmiffing is just really nicesmiffing is just really nicesmiffing is just really nicesmiffing is just really nicesmiffing is just really nice

When I had Sky and the warranty was about to expire, they kept bombarding me with offers that I refused, soon after my picture became pixelated and stuttery, I phoned them and they told me that my warranty was finished and that I would have to pay for an engineer, I informed them that it had only started when I had refused their warranty offer..............hence the Virgin Media(Telewest) install.
smiffing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 21:29   #7
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Are you seriously telling me you think sky degraded your picture because you turned down their extended warranty?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 22:43   #8
smiffing
Inactive

Services: VM 2 Mb Vm basic television VM telephone
smiffing is just really nicesmiffing is just really nicesmiffing is just really nicesmiffing is just really nicesmiffing is just really nicesmiffing is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Are you seriously telling me you think sky degraded your picture because you turned down their extended warranty?
No, maybe it was just a coincidence, it only happened here and at the last place I lived at though, you tell me.
smiffing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 11:37   #9
Overkill
Inactive

Overkill is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the reponse guys...

Finally told them no last night. During discussion though they did warn me that other companies offer servies, but they don't recognise them, so if the box goes wrong after one of these 3rd party bods has been at it, I'm screwed.

Bit worrying though, how my information is 'leaked' to these 3rd party companies. Name and address is one thing, but details about my account is soemthing else.

Thanks again.
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote