Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Reduced signal around Teddington Lock

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Reduced signal around Teddington Lock

Old 28-04-2014, 16:37   #1
David H
cf.member

Services: Virgin XL TV, 100 meg broadband
David H is an unknown quantity at this point
Reduced signal around Teddington Lock

I have been getting a full mobile signal on T Mobile and then Virgin around Teddington Lock in Ham for around 20 years, a few weeks ago it dropped to marginal and has not changed since, swinging between one bar and zero. I was hoping the local transmitter was down and it was connecting to the next closest one till it was fixed, but I don't think that would take three weeks plus. Has anyone else come across their signal falling drastically along the river there?
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-04-2014, 16:39   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Reduced signal around Teddington Lock

There are similar issues all over the country where EE, which runs T-Mobile and Orange networks, and carries Virgin Mobile service, has combined its physical networks and then started switching off towers that (in its opinion) are duplicating coverage of the same areas. As a result, new blackspots have popped up all over the place.

I can't say with any authority that this is what has happened to you but it is definitely a familiar pattern.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 18:10   #3
David H
cf.member

That's a retrograde move, robbing Peter to pay Paul really. Don't their meters tell them where they've put large areas into a black hole and may lose customers as a result? If I lived there the whole time I'd let them know and say I was leaving unless they fixed it, and hopefully many other people already have. That's no way to serve the public.
Old 29-04-2014, 00:38   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
That's a retrograde move, robbing Peter to pay Paul really.
That sounds like a plan to me.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 06:39   #5
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Get on the phone and complain, I have found EE to be helpful if you get on their case, sometimes they do not realise there is a problem or how severe it is if people don't get onto them.
Old 17-06-2014, 22:53   #6
David H
cf.member

I sent them an email and got a very nice reply saying they hadn't removed any aerials round there (their map had one opposite at Teddington Lock which would do the job easily), and had had problems reported for a while and were working on it. How a single aerial can take well over two months and still not be sorted is a bit of a mystery to me but the good news is it won't be forever. The signal's still on one bar but isn't dropping out as often but clearly not right yet.
Old 18-06-2014, 10:55   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Thanks for the update. A knackered tower is definitely better than one they've decided they don't need. Even if it takes a while to fix, at least you know it's going to be fixed.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 16:12   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Well I like in Harlow and work in Stansted, both in Essex.

Before the merger I got a strong signal, now it's beyond a loch joke, my phone spends about 40% of the day without a signal.

Plus the fact I'm still waiting for the to release KK for the HTC One (M7) despite the fact my sister who has the same phone (but it's unlocked but on T-Mobile) has had 2 updates.

So come May 2015 I'm taking my cash and going elsewhere.
Old 18-06-2014, 23:28   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
I sent them an email and got a very nice reply saying they hadn't removed any aerials round there (their map had one opposite at Teddington Lock which would do the job easily), and had had problems reported for a while and were working on it. How a single aerial can take well over two months and still not be sorted is a bit of a mystery to me but the good news is it won't be forever. The signal's still on one bar but isn't dropping out as often but clearly not right yet.
I've seen one case that took four years
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 15:49   #10
David H
cf.member

Just an update, this is Virgin and Orange as neither phones now get more than 1 bar and that's intermittent, it does appear their concern with actually providing a national and local signal is secondary to their profit motive by some way, and the four year story may be under a challenge here, so they are probably standing on the contract term recently discovered by Watchdog which doesn't guarantee reception indoors at home as it's only for mobile use. However, if you go outside of course the signal isn't any different so I'm not sure how far from home it covers before you can claim, plus as there's an intermittent signal presumably from the nearest working aerial it covers all their requirements even though a conversation beyond a minute is almost impossible, assuming they can actually hear you at all when they do connect. Sending a text is also a challenge, it often needs a few tries to resend as there's no network coverage.
Old 27-12-2014, 15:54   #11
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Do you have any phones in your household on contract with EE, T-Mobile or Orange? If so you could ring them and say you've had a large loss of signal and request for them to send you a signal box which will at least give you indoor coverage and will work with your VM Mobile too
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 01:31   #12
David H
cf.member

That's how I found out, but both are PAYG. They insisted they hadn't removed one of the two due to the merger, but there was a fault on one and it was being worked on, it's almost a year now. Virgin's up to one bar now most of the time (from 3-4) but Orange doesn't seem any different. I may switch to the new Virgin contract though but not at that address so probably won't change anything for me.