Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Xbox One Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Microsoft Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Xbox One Thread

Old 23-05-2013, 20:58   #76
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
re: The Xbox One Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
xbox one seems like nothing more than a locked down PC in a small case. people going on about how you can take a skype call and play a game at the same time. and all this on a 32bit machine with only 8GB RAM.

i dunno, maybe I've always missed the point in consoles. I suppose if you're 15 and still live at home with only your bedroom to claim as your own, it makes sense. but as an adult, there's surely no need for it? don't get me wrong, when I was living at home, I too had the master system and mega drive and a Playstation. but once I moved out and got a job, it's always been PCs.
What a stereotype!

I am 32 and still play games on Consoles. I have a 360, PS3 and a Wii U.

I don't live at home I live with my Fiancee and game in the Living Room, and also game on a Macbook Pro and an iPad.

When I did live at home I also had a PC to game on, I built it myself.

Console gaming is and always will be easier than PC gaming. Thats the convenience, you buy the console and just put the games in and play. For many people its cheaper and a lot quicker than buying/building a PC which you may need to upgrade or tweak to get the best performance.
Old 23-05-2013, 21:05   #77
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

each to their own I suppose. I just think that, especially the Xbox One anyway, is just a cheap PC in a small box. personally, i'd rather pay a little more and get a good pc I could upgrade parts on whenever and do lots of other stuff on faster.

and I wasn't stereotyping. i did not say that all console players were 15 and living at home. I said that IF you are 15 it makes more sense as you will only have one small room to put everything you own in. in addition to that, your parents will probably already own a pc you can use when you need it. please do not twist or confuse my words.
Old 23-05-2013, 21:21   #78
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I am 45 and i only game on a console currently, it is far cheaper and far more convenient to sit on the sofa and play on a big screen.

I would say most 15 year olds have a computer of some sort and a console as they wouldn't take up much space, but each to their own.

You did make it sound like only teenagers use a console in your post. lol
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 21:24   #79
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I am 45 and i only game on a console currently, it is far cheaper and far more convenient to sit on the sofa and play on a big screen.

I would say most 15 year olds have a computer of some sort and a console as they wouldn't take up much space, but each to there own.

You did make it sound like only teenagers use a console in your post. lol
which is fine. I'm 34 and I can plug my PC into the tv anytime too.

like I said, each to their own.
Old 23-05-2013, 21:33   #80
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Console gaming is and always will be easier than PC gaming. Thats the convenience, you buy the console and just put the games in and play..
That's just it though, rumours suggest that you won't be able to do that with the new Xbox.
You will have to install the game to the HDD before you can play it

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 21:39   #81
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
xbox one seems like nothing more than a locked down PC in a small case. people going on about how you can take a skype call and play a game at the same time. and all this on a 32bit machine with only 8GB RAM.
64bit (x86-64), not 32bit.

The Xbox One and the PS4 both use a semi-custom AMD Jaguar 64bit 8-core APU. Spec-wise the PS4 does seem to have an edge, though, as its graphics core apparently has 18 compute units compared to the 12 compute units found in the Xbox One's graphics core, along with the PS4 having 8GB of GDDR5 compared to the Xbox One's 8GB of DDR3.

I don't think that you can really apply PC RAM usage or requirements to either console, though - they may have "PC style" specs because of the architecture, but as they are consoles they are built to a fixed spec with a cut-down OS optimised for that fixed spec.

Quote:
i dunno, maybe I've always missed the point in consoles. I suppose if you're 15 and still live at home with only your bedroom to claim as your own, it makes sense. but as an adult, there's surely no need for it? don't get me wrong, when I was living at home, I too had the master system and mega drive and a Playstation. but once I moved out and got a job, it's always been PCs.
I'm 35, and live with my wife... I currently have a 360 and PS3, and had various consoles before those.

I've never been very fond of PC gaming.

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
That's just it though, rumours suggest that you won't be able to do that with the new Xbox.
... Although you don't need to wait for the installation to finish before playing.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xboxone/what-it-is

Quote:
Play without the wait.

With Xbox One, you can start playing immediately as games install. And updates install seamlessly in the background, so your games and entertainment won’t be interrupted.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 22:28   #82
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
No different than i do but with a PC really. DVI lead goes to the monitor and HDMI in the TV where the games are played and media streamed to. Wireless XBOX controller for PC is used for the games and remote control for media through XBMC. I rarely even sit down at the PC these days other than for the odd FPS game simply because KB+mouse is better for them.

I might have been swayed by one of the new consoles if i hadn't already upgraded the PC last year as they do sound close to a replacement, but with build i have now by the time it needed upgrading again in a few years the new consoles will probably look like crap.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 23:42   #83
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
It's not a rumour. At the reveal it was announced that's games will auto install but you can still play while that's done.
Old 23-05-2013, 23:44   #84
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Looks like the first box art has been revealed.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/2...?+main+twitter

I actually like how plain it is.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 02:05   #85
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
What a stereotype!

I am 32 and still play games on Consoles. I have a 360, PS3 and a Wii U.

I don't live at home I live with my Fiancee and game in the Living Room, and also game on a Macbook Pro and an iPad.

When I did live at home I also had a PC to game on, I built it myself.

Console gaming is and always will be easier than PC gaming. Thats the convenience, you buy the console and just put the games in and play. For many people its cheaper and a lot quicker than buying/building a PC which you may need to upgrade or tweak to get the best performance.
I agree..I am cough cough....I prefer to have something i turn on and play that is dedicated to my gaming time.
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 10:39   #86
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

My 2 penneth for what it's worth, regarding the design (I'm easily pleased) I don't really give a monkeys what it looks like, it's how it functions as a games console that matters, how smooth and responsive games play, how laggy it is and of course how much.

I'm a bit gutted it's not backwards compatible as I and a large portion of my friends still play games from 2006 even to this day so I would have to keep my 360 under my TV which I don't have spare space for at the minute.

For me this new Xbox 1 is long overdue, us console gamers needed something new to sink our teeth into and thankfully it's on it's way. I won't be buying one on release day, I will hang fire for a few months and see what the reviews are like, and how well it copes with getting rid of the heat, remember the red ring of death .

Re: the controller, I'm one of a select few who actually prefer the PS3 layout over the 360 but that's just a personal taste issue. I still find comms and online multiplayer via xbox far superior to the PS3 and a few exclusives wont be enough to tempt me to buy a PS4 unfortunately.

Ive just modded my 360 controller to use the domed (convex not concave) thumb sticks like the ps3's and I get a loss less thumb fatigue and improved grip when playing FPS games, looks like the thumb sticks are slightly improved on the new xbox 1 controller which is welcomed but time will tell if they are an improvement or not. The kinect I have to say looks pretty bulky imo so not quite sure If I'd want that located on top of my TV but it's no real biggy.

Overall it gets my thumbs up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-05-23 20.37.32.jpg (405.8 KB, 7 views)
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 10:54   #87
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

I didn't realise people actually liked them thumb sticks. I thought it was peoples biggest gripe about the controller. I know when I used to play on my PS3 my thumbs had more chance of slipping because of they were convex.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 11:47   #88
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Ive just pre ordered Forza 5 for X1. Got to find a way of being able to afford X1, Ghosts and Forza 5 now
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 18:17   #89
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

With the games installing to the hard drive, will we require the cd in the drive to still play them?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 18:23   #90
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
With the games installing to the hard drive, will we require the cd in the drive to still play them?
I'd say thats a given

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
I didn't realise people actually liked them thumb sticks. I thought it was peoples biggest gripe about the controller. I know when I used to play on my PS3 my thumbs had more chance of slipping because of they were convex.
Different strokes for different fokes cimt
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote