Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hacking the BT homehub!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Hacking the BT homehub!

Old 09-08-2007, 18:38   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Hacking the BT homehub!

http://www.homehubhacks.co.uk/index.php?n=HowTo.Index

Using the Howtos from that site I was able to get the VOIP working on the homehub without using it as my primary router AND using sipgate instead of btbroadband talk.

One thing It doesn't show up as in my routers DHCP list as a client but rather is accessible via http://192.168.1.254

So Is it safe to assume that would be the "from" address any VOIP packets would come from? (i want to prioritize the packets on the upstream using the QOS on my voyager so it works reliably)

I'd assume by changing the hack slightly it would be possible to use any sip provider so before I go putting credit on my sipgate account is there anyone I should consider instead?

I'm actually on bt broadband anyway but the land line is in the home-owners name and BT were unable to bill the VOIP calls to a separate account so I never bothered setting up the BBTALK account.

Don't like the HH very much its not as stable as my 2110 at least with these hacks in place its no longer just sitting in a box doing nothing and i've just saved myself buying a SIP gateway/phone
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2007, 16:05   #2
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Re: Hacking the BT homehub!

I'd guess it's not showing up on the DHCP list as it's not getting it's IP from the DHCP server in your router. Just plug that IP in and you should be away I'd have thought. does it work ok without QOS?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 18:11   #3
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I'd guess it's not showing up on the DHCP list as it's not getting it's IP from the DHCP server in your router. Just plug that IP in and you should be away I'd have thought. does it work ok without QOS?
seems to although I had a problem at first but i forwarded some ports to 192.168.1.254

Only problem i'm having now is on dialing the sipgate voicemail number I get it in german (i think) rather than english.

Dialing it from their softphone works ok, but that appends @sipgate.co.uk onto the number automatically (or it looks like that from the display)

Can't figure that one out since the test number answers fine in English but the voicemail isn't
Old 10-08-2007, 21:24   #4
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Strange - I'd be interested in how it knows what language to deliver your VM in - is it set in your profile or does it pick your IP up and use that as an indicator - if you it could be dodgy coding on their part? Have to wait for them to get back to you on that one
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 22:04   #5
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Strange - I'd be interested in how it knows what language to deliver your VM in - is it set in your profile or does it pick your IP up and use that as an indicator - if you it could be dodgy coding on their part? Have to wait for them to get back to you on that one
Dunno noticed when i dail 50000 on their software on the pc it comes up caller id as 50000@sipgate.co.uk

Support told me to try it again today but it was still in the wrong language, makes me wander if its something my end or something that needs to be set against my account that for some reason failed to set properly.

Called myself when I had the softphone running and it made the Hub phone ring, then called myself from the hubphone and the softphone rings, although the hubphone does not send any DTMF tones when pressing a button during a call... this could cause a problem...

Edit: Was just the softphone filtering them, checked by calling voip number from mobile
Old 11-08-2007, 17:37   #6
Stuart W
Inactive

Services: BroadBand 4M
Stuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Stuart W

Possibly a little OT.....

I use sipgate for incoming (nice 0845 number) and voipfone for outgoing.

http://www.voipfone.co.uk

I have purchased an inner London number and grabbed a nice Cat5 Ethernet phone from e-bay. Now I can answer my 'office' number from the comfort of my front room
I can also take the phone with me to work and plug it in there.

Voipfone are a bit cheaper than sipgate and a LOT more reliable. (my sipgate account was a bit poo for making calls, noticeable delay was the worst part)
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 00:36   #7
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Possibly a little OT.....

I use sipgate for incoming (nice 0845 number) and voipfone for outgoing.

http://www.voipfone.co.uk

I have purchased an inner London number and grabbed a nice Cat5 Ethernet phone from e-bay. Now I can answer my 'office' number from the comfort of my front room
I can also take the phone with me to work and plug it in there.

Voipfone are a bit cheaper than sipgate and a LOT more reliable. (my sipgate account was a bit poo for making calls, noticeable delay was the worst part)
They charge for an incoming geographical number tho and I don't think the Hub can be hacked to use both

Are they that much more reliable that I should consider paying for an incoming number?

Edit: Just checked its possible to use voiptalk but I don't think it will do both as although it supports multiple profiles i think it will only take 1 gateway address.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:39   #8
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
They charge for an incoming geographical number tho and I don't think the Hub can be hacked to use both

Are they that much more reliable that I should consider paying for an incoming number?

Edit: Just checked its possible to use voiptalk but I don't think it will do both as although it supports multiple profiles i think it will only take 1 gateway address.
Think i'm going to use voipfone :-)
Someone else also recommended them on another forum
Old 12-08-2007, 12:50   #9
Stuart W
Inactive

Services: BroadBand 4M
Stuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Stuart W

True, you do have to pay for geographical numbers on voipfone when they are free on sipgate.

My preference is with a provider I can actually make decent calls to the telephone network without delay or poor sound quality.

I guess it doesn't mater how many free things you get with a service that is unreliable.
Kind of reminds me of the rows I used to have with the former ntl: guys...... I'm sure you are familiar with the concept of getting cable modem services refunded each month because it's still not working.
What I'm trying to say is, I'd rather pay and have a working service than not ... ... and er... not.
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote