Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Setting up wireless router with Virgin cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Setting up wireless router with Virgin cable

Old 09-08-2007, 14:00   #16
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Re: Setting up wireless router with Virgin cable

If you have VM cable modem you will just need a wireless router - just switch everything off - remove the ethernet cable from your PC and plug it into the Internet port of the router...switch on VM cable modem, switch on router, switch on PC's away you go!
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2007, 14:07   #17
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Sorry, i forgot to tell you, i havent bought the stuff yet, i want to make sure everything is compatible before i do.

BTW, LSainsbury, thanks for that find But i dont need an Ethernet Router with VM do i?

The cable modem has an ethernet port at the back, connect this to the WAN port of your DSL router.

One note to add is when setting up is to use an ethernet connection from your computer to the router

Also, dont forget to power cycle the cable modem
Old 09-08-2007, 14:12   #18
Speedy
Inactive

Speedy is an unknown quantity at this point

So with the WRT54GL i can use 'wired' with the main PC, and 'wireless' with the Laptop and PSP. Which means i dont need USB adapter with the PC.

Is that correct?
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 14:16   #19
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
So with the WRT54GL i can use 'wired' with the main PC, and 'wireless' with the Laptop and PSP. Which means i dont need USB adapter with the PC.

Is that correct?

Yep - just plug the PC's into any of the ethernet local LAN ports.

USB adapter - only if you already have an onboard wired / wireless NIC...
Old 09-08-2007, 14:19   #20
Speedy
Inactive

Thank you guys for all the help! Ive ordered the WRT54G from CCL at £39 and should arrive tomorrow.

PS: anyone else use CCL?
Old 09-08-2007, 16:36   #21
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Services: 3 for £30 & I still pay 25p/min tech support?!?
7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
PS: anyone else use CCL?
Yep - excellent supplier in my experience. Their customer service and tech support are both excellent. Shame they're not planning a buyout of VM!
7@m3 G33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 11:39   #22
Speedy
Inactive

The WRT54G arrived on Saturday and my connection was set up within the hour.
Im happy to say it works perfectly, thanks to all those who helped!
Old 16-08-2007, 11:10   #23
amateurfool
Inactive

Services: VirginMedia and proud of it.
amateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really nice

Quote:
But i dont need an Ethernet Router with VM do i?
Wireless routers tend to be Ethernet routers as well, it's all in one box (at least, i don't recall ever seeing a non Ethernet wireless router).
amateurfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 11:11   #24
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
The WRT54G arrived on Saturday and my connection was set up within the hour.
Im happy to say it works perfectly, thanks to all those who helped!
Glad it's all working for you.

Have you got the wireless side of it fully secured?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 12:39   #25
Speedy
Inactive

Everything is set up nicely, also security.
Ive had to use 128bit WEP because for some reason WPA is incompatible with PSP, but its OK. Besides, i dont think there are any hackers around here
Old 16-08-2007, 12:52   #26
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurfool View Post
Wireless routers tend to be Ethernet routers as well, it's all in one box (at least, i don't recall ever seeing a non Ethernet wireless router).
It was the WAN port being Ethernet that was being talked about now the Router having LAN ports
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 14:58   #27
amateurfool
Inactive

Services: VirginMedia and proud of it.
amateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
It was the WAN port being Ethernet that was being talked about now the Router having LAN ports
The question was in relation to the network diagram in post #14 which clearly showed a cable modem, an ethernet router, and a wireless access point. So could have meant the WAN or the LAN ports.
amateurfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 23:56   #28
old_greg
Inactive

old_greg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i was wondering if you guys could help me as I have a very similar problem.

Just got Virgin Broadband in a new house and it seems to be cable. They've supplied a cable modem, which in turn has an ethernet socket which is connected to my laptop and is currently working fine. The model number printed on the Virgin Media modem is E08C007.

I want to connect it to my wireless router (a D-Link DSL-G624M) but the thing doesnt have an ethernet WAN port, rather a 'ADSL' RJ-11 socket which used to connect to the telephone socket (via a splitter). It has 4 ethernet LAN ports but these dont seem to be much use for communicating with the cable modem.

Apologies if someone has already answered this question in a previous post.
old_greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 09:18   #29
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Services: 3 for £30 & I still pay 25p/min tech support?!?
7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_greg View Post
Hi, i was wondering if you guys could help me as I have a very similar problem.

Just got Virgin Broadband in a new house and it seems to be cable. They've supplied a cable modem, which in turn has an ethernet socket which is connected to my laptop and is currently working fine. The model number printed on the Virgin Media modem is E08C007.

I want to connect it to my wireless router (a D-Link DSL-G624M) but the thing doesnt have an ethernet WAN port, rather a 'ADSL' RJ-11 socket which used to connect to the telephone socket (via a splitter). It has 4 ethernet LAN ports but these dont seem to be much use for communicating with the cable modem.

Apologies if someone has already answered this question in a previous post.
Hi Greg and welcome to CF

No need to apologise for any questions: there's always something that we don't know about and we come here in the hope of finding someone who does know about it.

Bad news about your D-Link box though: that's an ADSL modem/router so, as you have found out, you won't be able to connect that to your cable modem. What you need is a cable router or ethernet router like a D-Link DI-524 (assuming you want wireless as well).
7@m3 G33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 13:03   #30
old_greg
Inactive

old_greg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7@m3 G33k View Post
Hi Greg and welcome to CF

No need to apologise for any questions: there's always something that we don't know about and we come here in the hope of finding someone who does know about it.

Bad news about your D-Link box though: that's an ADSL modem/router so, as you have found out, you won't be able to connect that to your cable modem. What you need is a cable router or ethernet router like a D-Link DI-524 (assuming you want wireless as well).
Thanks for the reply

After reading this and other threads thats what I was thinking - just wanted confirmation before I spent yet more hard earned on more networking stuff The annoying thing is I bought a Belkin router for my flat at uni which Im fairly certain would do, but is lost in the aether somewhere.
old_greg is offline   Reply With Quote