Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys WAP54G problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys WAP54G problems

Old 27-08-2007, 13:54   #1
Zeke
Inactive

Zeke is an unknown quantity at this point
Linksys WAP54G problems

I have setup the device correctely, seeing as both my own and my dads laptop has found the wireless network.

But we are both getting limited or no connectivity from the WAP!

Can anyone advice me of how to fix this?

Thanks!
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-08-2007, 14:01   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Linksys WAP54G problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
I have setup the device correctely, seeing as both my own and my dads laptop has found the wireless network.

But we are both getting limited or no connectivity from the WAP!

Can anyone advice me of how to fix this?

Thanks!
Sounds like you haven't set the device up correctly to me.....

Your problem could be caused by any number of problems.

1. If you've assigned a WPA key (or a WEP key, but WPA is better) then this needs to be provided for all machines accessing the WAP or they won't be able to correctly negotiate the connection.

2. Check what IP addresses have been assigned to the devices. If they've been incorrectly set (manually) or if they've not been correctly allocated by the WAP (by DNS if it's enabled) then you'll get this error.

3. Are you sure you're connecting to the right WAP? Have you given yours a unique SSID?

4. Have you enabled any other security feature on the WAP that may be affecting things? For example have you incorrectly configured MAC filtering?

Seriously, without knowing exactly what you've done/not done it's impossible to be sure - any of the above might cause this problem though.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 19:31   #3
Zeke
Inactive

No worries.

Have just changed to router rather than the Access Point Linksys lol

Now my dad is unable to connect at all, though I am right now.

I have written down the wep code and i know that is correct. There is no MAC filtering enabled. His laptop is unable to check other settings. I dont know why but it will not automaticaly check for IP Address etc His laptop is a Toshiba btw
Old 27-08-2007, 19:34   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Sounds like it already has an IP address set.

What operating system is he using, and do you have administrative access to it?

(BTW: Before you do too much more you should seriously consider using WPA instead of WEP)
Old 27-08-2007, 19:39   #5
Zeke
Inactive

I do have full access he's using XP like me lol

WEP is ok for us for the tim being, I do need to get this system up and running, seeing as it's his work laptop. And he works from home quite a bit!
Old 27-08-2007, 19:42   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

Ok, 'work laptop' gives a possible clue.....

Start > Control Panel > Network Settings (I think, doing this from memory 'cause I'm on Linux at the moment).

Right click on the wireless adaptor and select 'Status', somewhere in one of these screens you will see a note of the IP address. See if it says 'Manually Assigned' or something similar.
Old 27-08-2007, 20:03   #7
Zeke
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Ok, 'work laptop' gives a possible clue.....

Start > Control Panel > Network Settings (I think, doing this from memory 'cause I'm on Linux at the moment).

Right click on the wireless adaptor and select 'Status', somewhere in one of these screens you will see a note of the IP address. See if it says 'Manually Assigned' or something similar.
Thanks for the help, while you where replying I disconnectedand reconnected and it actualy worked.

It could have possibly been the Toshiba Connection Manager conflicting with Windows Connection Manager. I shut the Tosh one down and It worked :p
Old 27-08-2007, 20:06   #8
Raistlin
Inactive

Cool, glad it's sorted.
Old 27-08-2007, 20:09   #9
Zeke
Inactive

Thanks for the help dude!!
Old 27-08-2007, 20:15   #10
Raistlin
Inactive

Didn't do much, but you're welcome anyway