Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Apple Airport Extreme & Virgin wireless router compatibility

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Apple Airport Extreme & Virgin wireless router compatibility

Old 22-09-2010, 10:26   #1
Chris SE11
Inactive

Chris SE11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Apple Airport Extreme & Virgin wireless router compatibility

Hi

After much deliberation & need I am probably going to move to Virgin Media.

I have one question that I really need to know before I make the move.

Does the latest Virgin Media wireless router work with Apple Airport Extreme? Or another way. Can I use the Apple Airport Extreme wireless product with Virgin Media?

Although it is not completely clear on the Virgin Media web site it looks like they now (Sep 2010) only offer a wireless router. I understand that Virgin Media will not support this & I am non-technical so will need some basic guidance/help from somewhere (??) to get this set up.

Also, if it is possible are there any known potential downsides?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Chris SE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-09-2010, 10:31   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Apple Airport Extreme & Virgin wireless router compatibility

Virginmedia now supply only a wireless hub which is a combined modem/router, you can just use this to go wireless or you can disable the wireless capability and use an Apple Airport Extreme instead the choice is yours.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 10:31   #3
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

What package are you going for? Xxl isn't a hub... Yet
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 10:33   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Is it possible to request an ambit modem?
I only deal with technical support but as far as I am aware we only give the hub on new installations, it may also be down to what the installer is given by his local depot as you pointed out a few weeks ago.
Old 22-09-2010, 10:54   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
I only deal with technical support but as far as I am aware we only give the hub on new installations, it may also be down to what the installer is given by his local depot as you pointed out a few weeks ago.
All installers were instructed to give back all ambits and only use the hub, service techs have a mix so I doubt it's possible.
Old 22-09-2010, 11:03   #6
Chris SE11
Inactive

Hi

Thanks both.

I would want either L or XL. I really don't need XXL.

It's confusing on the Virgin Media web site http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadban...-packages.html

Comparison table shows all packages come with a "Free Wireless N router".

Small print says
4 Free Virgin Media Hub for L and XL: Wireless enabled equipment required. Available to all new Broadband customers taking our Size: L and Size: XL Broadband services, and to existing Broadband customers upgrading to Size: XL (subject to status and credit checks). Wireless router for XXL: Wireless router and adapter are included in your package.

Assume then that for new customers.

L & XL - get a Virgin Media Hub
XXL - get a wireless router (don't need this package)

To add to confusion, however, when you select a Bundle/Package there is a section at the bottom of the page that says Wireless Routers. You are given an option of Yes/No to the Virgin Media Hub.

Questions to Virgin I guess would be:

1) Do you get a choice of the Virgin Media hub or the wireless router with Broadband L or XL?

2) If you say "No" I don't want the Virgin Media hub. What do you get? And it that product compatible with Apple Airport Extreme?

3) If you have to take the the Virgin Media Hub. Does it work with Apple Airport Extreme?

Either way...I want to use the Apple wireless network across my whole flat.

Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 10:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 ----------

Hi

Looks like you've answered my second post...didn't see this one.

So either way...whatever I receive for the Broadband L or XL part of my overall bundle/package...it will work with Apple Airport Extreme?

Many thanks for your help.
Old 22-09-2010, 11:04   #7
jb66
cf.mega poster

You need the hub to convert the coax cable into an ethernet cable so your pc can accept it, as it stands no matter what you choose/tick you still end up with the hub!
Old 22-09-2010, 11:08   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SE11 View Post

Hi

Looks like you've answered my second post...didn't see this one.

So either way...whatever I receive for the Broadband L or XL part of my overall bundle/package...it will work with Apple Airport Extreme?

Many thanks for your help.
All you do is use the login instructions on the side of the hub which are http://192.168.0.1/ and the username is "admin" and the password is "changeme" then click on Advanced Wireless settings at the bottom on the left and remove the Wireless radio tick which stops it broadcasting then just use your Airport.
Old 22-09-2010, 11:12   #9
Chris SE11
Inactive

Quote:
You need the hub to convert the coax cable into an ethernet cable so your pc can accept it, as it stands no matter what you choose/tick you still end up with the hub!
OK thanks.

I'm technically inept...maybe a bit hard but...

1. Mac - running a mac not a PC

2. Convert the coax cable into an ethernet cable...that's technical!!!

I've seen an amazing deal on a cashback site. £165 cash back if you take a Virgin Media package before this Friday 24th Sep. That's why I need to know asap.

I work from home so am totally dependent on broadband. I can't afford any downtime.

Will probably go for it & run dual.

Thanks.
Old 22-09-2010, 11:22   #10
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

The MAC should be able to use the wifi from any hub.. Airports are just more MAC friendly than most

If MAC's were airport dependant only then you'd have problems with wifi at airports/hotels/etc.. and I don't think that Apple are that stupid

Question for the true techie VM staffers, can you turn off the NAT on the new hubs? If yes then there's no reason as to why you can't use the airport as the router and the new hub purely as a modem
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 14:36   #11
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post

Question for the true techie VM staffers, can you turn off the NAT on the new hubs? If yes then there's no reason as to why you can't use the airport as the router and the new hub purely as a modem
I answered that in my post above advising how to switch off the radio and advised that they can use the Airport as the router instead.
Old 22-09-2010, 14:46   #12
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Which was incorrect as turning off the radio does not turn of the NAT.. Instead what you were suggesting is using the Airport as a WAP and not as a router which is something entirely different..
Old 22-09-2010, 14:49   #13
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
I answered that in my post above advising how to switch off the radio and advised that they can use the Airport as the router instead.
But doesnt a router plugged into a router cause problems with xboxes etc?

Does turning the wireless off change the hub into a modem?
Old 22-09-2010, 14:51   #14
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
But doesnt a router plugged into a router cause problems with xboxes etc?

Does turning the wireless off change the hub into a modem?
Hence I asked if you can turn off NAT on the new hubs
Old 22-09-2010, 14:58   #15
Peter_
Permanently Banned

I have no idea of the NAT settings on this hub but I know how to turn off its in built radio and once that is swiched off it will be a 4 port modem.