Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | virginmedia wireless issues

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

virginmedia wireless issues

Old 24-09-2008, 10:25   #1
jonnyd
Inactive

jonnyd is an unknown quantity at this point
virginmedia wireless issues

Thank god for this website!

Hi all,

Please can someone help. I am having problems with my wireless router and virginmedia. The problem has been happening with 2 wireless routers.
1. netgear WPN824 v2
2. belkin F5D8233-4v3

It should be so simple.

I have since had virginmedia send me out a new N256 cablemodem.

The problem seems to be the connection between the cable modem and the wireless router. I have had it working and been able to set the security and had my computers connecting all ok. This inlcudes my wireless printer.

But then from time to time the dhcp part of the wireless router stops working and my computers can not get IP addresses.

I have to then make a direct ethernet connection to the cable modem which works fine.

As this problem happens on both wireless routers im thinking it might be the cablemodem or virgin media.

This is really frustrating as i work from home occasionally and have to setup my network each time i do. Its also been going on for weeks now.

When I call virging media I get a polite but frustrating person in india who takes me through the same troubleshooting checklist and tells me to phone belkin.

Maybe they are right, but 2 routers having the same problem?

Has anyone had any problems with these wireless routers and virgin media?

What should I do?

Thanks for any help.

john
jonnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-09-2008, 11:14   #2
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers
Re: virginmedia wireless issues

If the router's dchp servers aren't working then this is an issue with the router, not Virgin Media's hardware or service. I suggest manually specifying an IP address for each connected device.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 11:30   #3
jonnyd
Inactive

the dhcp does work from time to time. and then stops.
I think it maybe the downstream signal level problems from the cable modem, another thread has had similar problems with their wireless.

But not sure.

Another thread has suggested to get a tech guy out from VM to boost the signal level of the modem.

Does anyone have any numbers?
Old 24-09-2008, 12:33   #4
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Have you tried changing channels on the router.. Symptoms could be caused by interference.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 12:37   #5
jonnyd
Inactive

interference?

would that mean I cant get an IP address?
Old 24-09-2008, 12:40   #6
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

It can take differnet forms. I had a similar problem where I kept losing my IP address and couldn't get a new one. It was tracked down to an AV sender. Changing the channel on the AV sender solved the problem but I'm sure changing the channel on the router would have done the same.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 12:46   #7
jonnyd
Inactive

AV sender?
Whats that? And how did it affect your wireless?
You mean the AV sender signal stoped your wireless router getting an Ip address?
This is so confusing...
My wireless router worked on saturday then now it cant connect to the canlemodem. changing the channel might fix that?
Old 24-09-2008, 12:51   #8
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

As this is a networking problem rather than a Virgin media problem, I have moved it to the correct forum.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 13:01   #9
jonnyd
Inactive

how do you know this is not a virginmedia problem?
I thourght low signal strength was a VM problem?
Old 24-09-2008, 13:32   #10
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

low signal strenth shuld not cause wifi dropouts from the router, plus your machine into the modem directly, if it all works then it is the router, the router contains the dhcp part, if it is failing to give an address its a router issue not a problem with the modem
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 13:38   #11
jonnyd
Inactive

my machine works fine straight to the modem.

So I have bourght 2 wireless routers and they both are faulty?

wow.

I dont understand how my problems are intermittent.

Soemone suggested changing the channel on the wireless router. Do you think this might help?
Old 24-09-2008, 13:42   #12
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
how do you know this is not a virginmedia problem?
I thourght low signal strength was a VM problem?
Your router should issue it's own IP addresses regardless of whether it has a connection to the outside world.

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
my machine works fine straight to the modem.

So I have bourght 2 wireless routers and they both are faulty?

wow.

I dont understand how my problems are intermittent.

Soemone suggested changing the channel on the wireless router. Do you think this might help?
Actually one way to eliminate wireless problems from the list of possible causes is to connect your router to the PC via ethernet for a day or two. If the connection doesn't fail, then the problem is probably with the wireless connection. If it does fail, then the PC or router are at fault.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 13:50   #13
jonnyd
Inactive

Im wondering if my belkin router is affected by overheating..
Its been unconnected from its power source for a couple of hours now. I have just plugged it back into the power source and it is giving me an Ip address straight away and dhcp seems to be working fine and signal strength if strong.

The wireless is not connected to the cable mode.

I will keep the wireless router in its usual place and see if it goes faulty again. Ive been keeping it in a cupboard in a room out of sight next to the cable modem. Maybe there is not enough ventilation for it.
Old 24-09-2008, 15:09   #14
The Hitman
Inactive

The Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful one

I had a problem with that heap of junk router. It kept dropping the internet connection. I lost count of how many times its happend a day. I dumped it in the bin. Got a good deal on a phillips wireless router. No drop outs or anything what so ever. £20 off the bay problem solved.
The Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 15:28   #15
jonnyd
Inactive

sounds good.
The router has just dropped again. I reckon its a pile of *****...
Everytime I buy something from pcworld it turns out to be ****. But I keep going back!!!!
Have you got the model number?