Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mac on windows network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Mac on windows network

Old 05-05-2007, 14:57   #1
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

Services: BT, nowhere near 8meg, phone and Sky.
bucketbakereturn is on a distinguished roadbucketbakereturn is on a distinguished road
Post Mac on windows network

afternoon all

got myself a nice new Macbook in the states while on holiday recently and aswell as getting to grips with the enivitable change of OS i'm hoping to move relevant files across one to the other over my wireless network.

Router Linksys Wag354g, latest firmware
Windows XP desktop
Macbook OSX 10.4.9

Have shared the C drive in its entireity on the Xp machine on the network and have managed to get the MAc to join the "workgroup".

So far i can see all the 'top tier' of files on the C drive on the Mac but if i try to navigate beyond for example Documents and Settings to my personal MyDocuments folder where i have everything i cant get any further.

Not finding the Mac Os particularly strange to use but this is a little frustrating.

your suggestions please.
bucketbakereturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2007, 14:59   #2
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: Mac on windows network

Have you enabled sharing for the folder you want to get to?
Old 05-05-2007, 15:06   #3
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

bucketbakereturn is on a distinguished roadbucketbakereturn is on a distinguished road

.......as well as the enabling the C drive in its entireity?

i can't even see the other shared folders on the network never mind the ones i want, but in reply no i haven't enabled sharing on the specific folder.
Old 05-05-2007, 15:09   #4
zing_deleted

can you see the mac drives on xp (I know nothing about mac) perhaps you could go the other way
Old 05-05-2007, 15:23   #5
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

.....actually haven't tried it that way around. I'd probably only see the machine but not the public folders on the mac as i know i haven't enabled sharing from the Mac side.
Old 05-05-2007, 16:30   #6
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

I just had a look on my Mac, but I'm struggling to connect to any of my windows machines. It can see the NAS drive allright though...

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketbakereturn View Post
.....actually haven't tried it that way around. I'd probably only see the machine but not the public folders on the mac as i know i haven't enabled sharing from the Mac side.
There is a shared folder in the users (HD -> Users) directory. You might be able to stick your files in there?
Old 05-05-2007, 16:45   #7
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

oh aye there's a shared folder on the Mac side but i'm tryin to move files TO the Mac from the pc, so its the windows files i need to see.

i've obviously googled it and they talk of Finder/Go/Connect to Server/ and then type smb/ipadress of target pc/name of folder

but there's no joy there either.

There's been a couple of processes here whereby Macs mantra of 'it just works' itsn't quite so true.But it is a beautiful machine and i will grow to love it i know.
Old 05-05-2007, 16:58   #8
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Is there a way to let network users change/add files on the MAC? This way you could sit at your XP machine and simply drag them to the MAC.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 17:05   #9
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

thats a good idea, aproach it from the XP side with the sharing folder on the MAc enabled.
Old 05-05-2007, 17:12   #10
danielf
cf.mega poser

Well, I'd like to help, but windows won't see my mac on the network, and my mac sees my windows pc's but refuses to connect as the 'alias cannot be found'. One thing which might help though (saw this on the web), to connect from the mac and typing the full address/path to the shared folder you want to connect to.
Old 05-05-2007, 17:14   #11
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

don't u love that 'alias' message even though i haven't a scooby what it means..........and yes i've tried the address of where i want to go to and no joy........i shall soldier on.

Shouldn't have started this thread on a Saturday in such good weather!!
Old 05-05-2007, 17:18   #12
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
don't u love that 'alias' message even though i haven't a scooby what it means..........and yes i've tried the address of where i want to go to and no joy........i shall soldier on.

Shouldn't have started this thread on a Saturday in such good weather!!
Yes, that alias message is great. I tried 'fix it' and then it asked me which program I wanted to use to open the alias. Yeah right. Most useful
Old 05-05-2007, 17:41   #13
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

is ur Mac ur main machine, was just going to pick ur brain bout accomplishing the move from Outlook to Entourage?
Old 05-05-2007, 18:03   #14
zing_deleted

Quote:
thats a good idea, aproach it from the XP side with the sharing folder on the MAc enabled.
wish I thought of that thats what I meant by other way round. Does mac see udf dvd format? maybe dvd rw is the way to go ?
Old 05-05-2007, 18:05   #15
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
is ur Mac ur main machine, was just going to pick ur brain bout accomplishing the move from Outlook to Entourage?
It's a work laptop actually. I bring it home when I want to do some work at home that I need the Mac for. I have it connected to the web and my NAS drive, which is sufficient for what I want, so I have very little experience in actually moving stuff across.