Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Xbox One Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Microsoft Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Xbox One Thread

Old 25-11-2013, 12:46   #1486
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The Xbox One Thread

No idea here, but my TV was unwatchable today through the X1 so i have connected it back up the normal way.

I then realised i only have 2 HDMI sockets on the TV so i had to leave the 360 unplugged, i am thinking i maybe able to connect that up through the HDMI pass through though or get a splitter.
Old 25-11-2013, 13:41   #1487
LemonyBrainAid
Inactive

Services: 50MB Virgin w/ TiVo 1TB
LemonyBrainAid has a bronze arrayLemonyBrainAid has a bronze arrayLemonyBrainAid has a bronze array
LemonyBrainAid has a bronze arrayLemonyBrainAid has a bronze arrayLemonyBrainAid has a bronze arrayLemonyBrainAid has a bronze array

I'm hopefully going to pick one up around Christmas as I'll be over in the states (which should save me some money!).

Can anyone summarise their overall thoughts thus far? I'm finding it hard to find real people's experiences and not just tech reviews...
LemonyBrainAid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 14:07   #1488
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

I think the multi-player is better experience. Though only had it one day.

Normally I would have lag, but I am thinking because of dedicated servers, that is helping multi-player.

Only played ghosts so far, enjoying it

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

Oh, not connected my sky box (because of the issues) and ignored the kinnect (didn't see it serving any purpose for now, though saying "xbox, use a code" was interesting, as was using the picture code)
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 17:06   #1489
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
I bought an extended service plan for my console and it's not showing up on my account. Phoned support after reading the forums and got no where. all the forums said was you need to phone support which I did and gave them the order number, but they are saying I need a call back
How did you buy it?

I've been trying to buy MS Complete since Friday, and the myservice.xbox.com website always times out when trying to move from step one (address) to step two (billing and review).

I'm also concerned that the page at support.xbox.com clearly states you get three years of coverage in total (1 year manufacturer's warranty + 2 year extended warranty), yet the page where you buy the cover says "2 years from date of device purchase".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
My TV picture is freezing all the time this morning, making it unusable to watch TV through the X1, when this happens the X1 isn't freezing.
I wonder if the freezing issue is a problem with the HDCP handshake between devices?

Quote:
I will likely put my TV back to normal tomorrow as it is so bad here with the freezing, i don't want to contact Ms yet so i can wait a while to see if an update fixes this issue for us Europeans running at 50hz.
Hopefully MS will fix it somehow (the 360 had a similar issue with DVDs, IIRC).

MS could change it so that when TV is watched in a 50Hz region, the console switches to 50Hz. All fine and good.

But there would be a problem with snapping... You could not have the main dash / games / apps running full screen at 60Hz as normal but have TV snapped to the side running at 50Hz.

So I think it would have to be 50Hz only when full screen.

Quote:
No idea here, but my TV was unwatchable today through the X1 so i have connected it back up the normal way.

I then realised i only have 2 HDMI sockets on the TV so i had to leave the 360 unplugged, i am thinking i maybe able to connect that up through the HDMI pass through though or get a splitter.
Unless you use the connection for something else already, I recommend getting hold of an official VGA cable for the 360 and using that to connect to the VGA/PC connection on the TV.

While not quite as good as HDMI, the VGA connection still gives an excellent picture and supports 1080p.

I've had my 360 on VGA for ages due to not having enough HDMI sockets (and have tried HDMI, VGA, and component).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonyBrainAid View Post
I'm hopefully going to pick one up around Christmas as I'll be over in the states (which should save me some money!).

Can anyone summarise their overall thoughts thus far? I'm finding it hard to find real people's experiences and not just tech reviews...
I love it, but it is a qualified and conditional love.

As I said before, I think it's quite clearly been rushed to market. There are various issues with it that IMO should have been sorted out before rather than "meh, we'll fix that later".

Lack of Dolby Digital, 50Hz issue with TV, lack of 360-style media capabilities, etc.

The dash seems a bit buggy at times too.

I also really miss the Guide. I loved being able to pause a game with the Guide button so I could directly check my Friends, messages, and Achievements, before going back to the game. Now, though, the equivalent of the Guide button takes you back to the dashboard, where you then select your profile and then select Friends or messages or Achievements etc. The in-game shortcut you had on the 360 has gone.

Still, it is a lovely bit of kit, despite all that, and I don't regret buying it. Back when I got my 360, I was let down after the initial rush of hooking it up... probably because PDZ was such a terrible game.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 17:08   #1490
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
How did you buy it?

I've been trying to buy MS Complete since Friday, and the myservice.xbox.com website always times out when trying to move from step one (address) to step two (billing and review).

I'm also concerned that the page at support.xbox.com clearly states you get three years of coverage in total (1 year manufacturer's warranty + 2 year extended warranty), yet the page where you buy the cover says "2 years from date of device purchase".

I wonder if the freezing issue is a problem with the HDCP handshake between devices?

Hopefully MS will fix it somehow (the 360 had a similar issue with DVDs, IIRC).

MS could change it so that when TV is watched in a 50Hz region, the console switches to 50Hz. All fine and good.

But there would be a problem with snapping... You could not have the main dash / games / apps running full screen at 60Hz as normal but have TV snapped to the side running at 50Hz.

So I think it would have to be 50Hz only when full screen.

Unless you use the connection for something else already, I recommend getting hold of an official VGA cable for the 360 and using that to connect to the VGA/PC connection on the TV.

While not quite as good as HDMI, the VGA connection still gives an excellent picture and supports 1080p.

I've had my 360 on VGA for ages due to not having enough HDMI sockets (and have tried HDMI, VGA, and component).

I love it, but it is a qualified and conditional love.

As I said before, I think it's quite clearly been rushed to market. There are various issues with it that IMO should have been sorted out before rather than "meh, we'll fix that later".

Lack of Dolby Digital, 50Hz issue with TV, lack of 360-style media capabilities, etc.

The dash seems a bit buggy at times too.

I also really miss the Guide. I loved being able to pause a game with the Guide button so I could directly check my Friends, messages, and Achievements, before going back to the game. Now, though, the equivalent of the Guide button takes you back to the dashboard, where you then select your profile and then select Friends or messages or Achievements etc. The in-game shortcut you had on the 360 has gone.

Still, it is a lovely bit of kit, despite all that, and I don't regret buying it. Back when I got my 360, I was let down after the initial rush of hooking it up... probably because PDZ was such a terrible game.
I bought my ESP on Friday when I got the console, via the Microsoft Store on the phone
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 17:09   #1491
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Ah, right. I may have to try that method then given that the website is screwed.
Old 25-11-2013, 18:07   #1492
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Does the ESP cover acc dam as well or just breakdown?
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 18:13   #1493
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Breakdown only.
Old 25-11-2013, 18:15   #1494
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Breakdown only.
Thanks
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 18:27   #1495
Sigma
Inactive

Services: TV XL/Phone XL/BB XL
Sigma is a jewel in the roughSigma is a jewel in the roughSigma is a jewel in the roughSigma is a jewel in the roughSigma is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonyBrainAid View Post
Here's some thoughts on it: -

Controller - Great. Pretty much perfect in fact.

Console hardware - I like the look of it, but looks aren't massively important to me. It is really quiet, which is something I value much more than looks. One downside is that the PSU has a fan in it and if you set the console to use sleep mode, rather than powering it totally off, the PSU stays on 24/7 which obviously means the PSU fan does too.

Kinect - I didn't own the first Kinect, but I did use it and I wasn't very impressed with it. The voice controls are working for me about 95% of the time now that I am used to how they work. The redeem code feature is great and I like the auto-sign in via Kinect. I've only tried the Kinect Sports Rivals demo as far as motion control games go, but it seemed to work fine even though I was only standing about 5 feet from the Kinect. It's too early to say how good Kinect will be for gaming, but my early impressions are good.

Dashboard - I really like it. It has some missing features - for example, you can't see how much hard drive space is left and there's not even a way to see how much charge is left in the controller - but I prefer it over the 360's dashboard and it offers a lot of functionality that, for the most part, works great. I love that I can instantly switch between games and apps. The snap feature is cool too.

Apps - There's a bunch of apps available to download, but there are some noticeable omissions such as iPlayer (coming next year I believe). The apps I've tried work fine. The YouTube app is particularly good and you can use a phone/tablet to beam videos to the TV through the Xbox One, kinda like the Chromecast.

Disc-based playback - It works fine. The first time I played a Blu-Ray disc, the Blu-Ray playback app took a fairly long time to load, but after the first time it was faster.

Games - Games look great, given the specs of the hardware. Loading times can be quite long though. Also, while you can start playing a game while it's still installing/downloading, that's not much use with digital games because you'll often reach a dead end where it needs to download more of the game before you continue. Obviously, there's no way around that as it's dependent on how fast your connection can download the games, and some of them are 30GB+ in size.

Multiplayer - I've only played a couple of multiplayer matches in Ryse: Son of Rome. It worked fine, with no lag or drop-outs. I don't know if Ryse is using dedicated servers or P2P, but either way, it worked really well. That said, I was only playing a team based mode with 1 other player, so I can't comment on what multiplayer games are like when you have a bunch of folks playing. I haven't tried using Xbox Live parties yet, so I can't comment on those either.

TV - I haven't tested this at all yet.

All in all, I'm impressed with what I've tried. It seems to be the makings of a really solid all round machine. Updates will hopefully bring improvements, fixes and more features and apps. The hardware is great, although I wish the power brick fan wasn't active all the time when you use sleep mode. If you use the "fully off" mode, the power brick fan turns off, but it takes much longer to cold boot the console, you can't use "Xbox on" to turn it on, and it can't download games/updates in the background while it's sleeping. If you could buy a high quality, third party silent PSU for the Xbox One, I would definitely get one, but it's a shame that MS can't provide a silent one in the box.
Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 20:13   #1496
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Yeah, one of the reasons I changed from "instant on" to "energy saving" was the noise from the PSU (in addition to the actual energy saving!). I have no problem turning it on 360-style, and don't mind the increased boot time.

How noisy is your PSU? Mine is not audible over games/media, but is noticeable when everything else is quiet.
Old 25-11-2013, 23:18   #1497
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Looked at trading in my PS3 and 360 will all games and accessories to see if I could get a One soon but prices are rotten.

Game will only give me £10 for a launch PS3 60GB and £63 for a 250Gb 360 Slim, £3 for Kinect and about £10 each for my extra Dual Shock 3 and 360 controller. Would get £93 for my Wii U as well. Not really worth it TBH.
Old 25-11-2013, 23:22   #1498
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Not worth trading in at that price, you're still going to have to buy games for the X1 and they're really expensive, £47-£55.
Old 25-11-2013, 23:37   #1499
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Not worth trading in at that price, you're still going to have to buy games for the X1 and they're really expensive, £47-£55.
Exactly, I do have a lot of PS3 and 360 games to trade in too but the prices are poor on them too.

Even if I took the hardware to CEX the prices for cash in there are much better. £36 for the 360 and £65 for the PS3.
Old 26-11-2013, 00:35   #1500
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

i would wait a few months and then there will hopefully be software updates to make it all better.

---------- Post added 26-11-2013 at 00:35 ---------- Previous post was 25-11-2013 at 23:51 ----------

BF4 must of had a silent update while I was at work as it started up different when I loaded it tonight and there was a screen resize task to do and also the server browser now works correctly. So it is nice to know silent updates can work, although I would have preferred a message telling me it had been and a change log.