Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Heighten fence post to attach washing line

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Heighten fence post to attach washing line

Old 14-05-2017, 16:06   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Heighten fence post to attach washing line

What i want to do is run a washing line down the garden, it will be bolted to the house wall using a Minky and i will pull it out when i need to, i need to attach it at the other end of the garden to the top of my fence post, which is where my problem is.

The fence post is maybe only 6ft high so my question is is there something i can buy to bolt on the top or the side of the post that will give me maybe atleast 1ft extra height to where i can attach the cable to?

What i don't want is a new pole that goes into the ground i want it attached to a fence post.

Thanks for any help.

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Maybe i can somehow attach a line post to the wooden fence post, any ideas the best way unless there is something easier?
Old 14-05-2017, 16:11   #2
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
Re: Heighten fence post to attach washing line

Would a clothes line prop work SnoopZ something like the wooden ones that way it may higher the line for you.

Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-Ha...3D322087798090

Last edited by weenie; 14-05-2017 at 16:17.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 16:24   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I have thought about just buying a piece of wood which would be cheaper, but thanks for the input.

I am now thinking of getting a metal line post and finding some brackets that will wrap around it to attach to the side of the fence post.

Do you think i need to heighten the fence post if it is 6 ft high as i have never had a washing line in the garden before, i have bought a clothes prop but i am concerned if it is too low at one end then it wont work?
Old 14-05-2017, 16:26   #4
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Is the fence post firmly enough in the ground to take the additional sideways force from the washing line and washing?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 16:34   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Is the fence post firmly enough in the ground to take the additional sideways force from the washing line and washing?
I think so, the fence is only a few years old and it is 5x5 i think.

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

Thinking of something like this to slide a pole down and attach to the side of the fence post.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00W3IU6...MX3R2VR1&psc=1
Old 14-05-2017, 16:50   #6
swoop101
cf.mega poster

swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal

Bear in mind the actual weight of wet washing in the wind. My metal pole with a 24" underground with a 15" cube of concrete actually tilted and nearly pulled out of the ground. That was with bedding and 2 towels on it in a stiff breze.
swoop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 16:57   #7
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I think so, the fence is only a few years old and it is 5x5 i think.

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

Thinking of something like this to slide a pole down and attach to the side of the fence post.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00W3IU6...MX3R2VR1&psc=1
For stablity you would need 2 of those placed at least 12" apart.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 16:58   #8
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Why do you need it more than 6 ft high at that end? You could just have it higher at the house end as we have in our garden - we just hang the larger items nearer the house. The higher that end of the line is, the more force the wind will exert on the bottom of the fence post and the greater the likelihood of damage.

Last edited by Osem; 14-05-2017 at 17:02.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 17:04   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Get a rotary washing line.

We did, as the missus is only 5ft tall.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 18:20   #10
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Get a rotary washing line.

We did, as the missus is only 5ft tall.
Never wanted 1 of those things.

Maybe i will test it at 6 ft high at 1 end and see if it goes tits up!