Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 26-02-2017, 18:11   #556
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Biked service??

Not heard of this channel before, was it a prelude to VOD?
Advertisement
Old 26-02-2017, 20:22   #557
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Today l saw a new channel called 'talking pictures tv' and it shows old films and is free to air.

Does anyone know if this channel is coming to VM
Old 26-02-2017, 20:24   #558
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

A biked channel was once which had its tapes delivered to the cable companies by courier (bike). I guess to know I meant HVC and not a well-known music shop :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Biked service??

Not heard of this channel before, was it a prelude to VOD?

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

It is an super channel and carries quite a bit of Southern TV (ex ITV South from the 70s) material.

Most local tv channels carry six hours of it each day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Today l saw a new channel called 'talking pictures tv' and it shows old films and is free to air.

Old 26-02-2017, 23:49   #559
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post

Not in the near future, talking pictures has been broadcasting for quite awhile now on sky, freesat and freeview.
http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/
Old 27-02-2017, 01:15   #560
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
A biked channel was once which had its tapes delivered to the cable companies by courier (bike). I guess to know I meant HVC and not a well-known music shop :-).
Lol, thanks for explaining, I'd not heard that expression before

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Not in the near future, talking pictures has been broadcasting for quite awhile now on sky, freesat and freeview.
http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/
But as Ozsat says, Arthur's local TV channel may broadcast a fair chunk of its output. On VM this is channel 159, not sure about the other platforms.
Old 27-02-2017, 08:47   #561
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

But as Ozsat says, Arthur's local TV channel may broadcast a fair chunk of its output. On VM this is channel 159, not sure about the other platforms.
Just shows what a waste of money these local channels are. If old black and white material that is available elsewhere is being regurgitated on the local channels, what on earth is the point of them? If I ever tuned into a local channel, I would be wanting to see the local news - and preferably not from 40 years ago!!
Old 27-02-2017, 08:58   #562
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

A total waste of money IMO.
Old 27-02-2017, 11:23   #563
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:

AFAIK TPTV only have agreements with the "That's TV" run local channels, plus those in Northern Ireland, Brighton & Swansea.

Last edited by nodrogd; 27-02-2017 at 11:29.
Old 27-02-2017, 13:26   #564
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Lol, thanks for explaining, I'd not heard that expression before

Made in Birmingham is on sky 117 i think i don't take much notice lol.

---------- Post added at 12:26 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Just shows what a waste of money these local channels are. If old black and white material that is available elsewhere is being regurgitated on the local channels, what on earth is the point of them? If I ever tuned into a local channel, I would be wanting to see the local news - and preferably not from 40 years ago!!
Absolutely agree if i were to watch a local channel i'd want it to be programming about the local area and nearby surroundings, i'd like to see content such as local news, local events etc.
Old 27-02-2017, 14:36   #565
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
A total waste of money IMO.
Sheffield Live certainly seems to be, for 17 hours out of every 24 it relays Sheffield Live community radio with a photo slide show. The relatively few actual TV hours contain programmes in such well known Sheffield dialects as Arabic and Urdu. The minority communities are well catered for, local news and current affairs coverage seems like an afterthought.

Made in Leeds is better but whenever I've tuned in it seems to be showing weather updates or footage of the streets of Leeds filmed from a car. That or 1940's Sherlock Holmes films.

Old 27-02-2017, 14:38   #566
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Here in West Herts we had the first local cable channel to be launched in the UK (West Herts TV). They occupied two rooms at Telecential's Hemel base & put out 3 to 4 programmes a month on channel 6 of our old analogue system. The rest of the time was just a rolling text service of local events to the accompaniment of Sky Radio, (the Dutch music channel, nothing to do with UK Sky). Comtel scrapped the service a couple of years before digital was introduced.
Old 27-02-2017, 20:34   #567
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

stupid question: is there a way to get things like all 4 on the tivo? the whole "box sets" thing and "catch up on demand" menu options miss most things i find.
Old 27-02-2017, 21:38   #568
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 View Post
So they close BBC3 due to lack of funds but then suddenly find 30 million for a programme budget for this BBC Scotland. I understand the launch of new channels has to go through the BBC Trust, not that they did much to save BBC3 will certainly be registering my disgust at this.
The BBC save £30m by moving BBC3 online.

The BBC3 online channel still cost £30m.

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2...nel-to-be.html

I can see BBC Two Scotland close with all the "Scottish shows" moving to BBC Scotland* - * as confirmed last week.

BBC is only adding £19m of new money - But BBC Scotland need to make £20m of UK Wide shows.

All the info was confirmed last week.

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2...or-bbc-in.html
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 27-02-2017 at 21:42.
Old 27-02-2017, 23:07   #569
Bananaman_007
Inactive

Bananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
The BBC save £30m by moving BBC3 online.

The BBC3 online channel still cost £30m.

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2...nel-to-be.html

I can see BBC Two Scotland close with all the "Scottish shows" moving to BBC Scotland* - * as confirmed last week.

BBC is only adding £19m of new money - But BBC Scotland need to make £20m of UK Wide shows.

All the info was confirmed last week.

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2...or-bbc-in.html
If your numbers are correct that is still 19 million of new money that was very much serving a greater need in my opinion.
I am 33 years old and do not feel that BBC caters for me in the slightest now they have done away with the BBC3 channel. Also because the budget for programming has shrunk (i seem to remember something about 12 million a year now they are online) they are taking far less risks. The type of shows they are commissioning for this online BBC3 have to also be suitable for a showing on BBC1 or 2, which i feel is stunting the type of content that the service is commissioning. They wasted money on a Top Gear spin off, FFS is that something that we really needed when nobody was watching the main Top Gear utter waste of time and money, but of course they did that because it was still a much safer option than something new. The BBC has a huge drama budget, i also do not want to see the BBC using money that is for BBC3 to basically commission and show dramas for BBC2 under the guise of this is BBC3. Where is the comedy that we were promised? We were promised the remit of this online BBC3 was going to be made you laugh or made you think and so far its done neither.

I was unhappy with the way it was the done but was a bit more accepting that ok there was a greater need for the BBC3 money. However that need was not to launch a +1 timeshift of BBC1, extend the hours of CBBC or launch BBC Scotland.

The gaul of it all is, i am forced to fund the BBC through a license fee i strongly oppose, because i choose to watch broadcast TV from other broadcasters that do provide a product that interests me.

Why do the Scottish get their own channel anyway? What about a service for the Welsh, English or Northern Irish? We all contribute to the license fee and do not have dedicated services.

Last edited by Bananaman_007; 27-02-2017 at 23:41.
Old 27-02-2017, 23:36   #570
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
Sheffield Live certainly seems to be, for 17 hours out of every 24 it relays Sheffield Live community radio with a photo slide show. The relatively few actual TV hours contain programmes in such well known Sheffield dialects as Arabic and Urdu. The minority communities are well catered for, local news and current affairs coverage seems like an afterthought.

Made in Leeds is better but whenever I've tuned in it seems to be showing weather updates or footage of the streets of Leeds filmed from a car. That or 1940's Sherlock Holmes films.
Made In Leeds is my local channel. I never watch it, but have just taken a look and they seem to have an old black & white film every afternoon.

I'm not sure if this is a Talking Pictures tie up or not.
Closed Thread