Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT Home hub 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BT Home hub 2

Old 22-05-2009, 22:58   #1
softley7
Inactive

softley7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question BT Home hub 2

I have just installed a new BT Home hub 2 after using the old BT Home hub for some time with no difficulty and no problems. I have two laptops and two desktop machines. One of the desktops uses vista; the other machines run XP. All communicated through a local workgroup.

Having installed the new homehub2, I now find that I can see the machines across some of machines but I cannot access their contents. One of the laptops simply does not see the network. All are connected to the internet and work independently. I have tried everything I can think of to get the local network going but have run out of ideas. The only thing left I can think of is to completely reinstall windows but this is a bit drastic and wonder if anyone out there has some other thoughts.
softley7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-05-2009, 05:15   #2
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Re: BT Home hub 2

XP - Open a command prompt (Start, programs, accessories, command prompt)
Vista - open an administrator command prompt (start, programs, accessories, right click on command prompt, click on Run as administrator)

netsh int reset all
netsh winsock reset

reboot the computer and then see if it can connect.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 20:30   #3
softley7
Inactive

softley7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: BT Home hub 2

Thank you very much for this reply. I would never have guessed this solution in a month of Sundays. It enabled me to connect my two XP machines in one direction so that from one I could transfer to the other all the files I needed to back everything up. I might do a clean reinstall of XP now on the machine that refuses to receive files. It is a few years old and probably will benefit from the 'deep clean'. Hopefully it will simply connect then
softley7 is offline   Reply With Quote