Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 28-06-2011, 21:16   #361
kacetwo
Inactive

kacetwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Hi guys. First post and I am after help. I just bought the Ross HD unit from B&Q but I cannot get an image from the HDMI connection. The scart is fine and I have plenty of SD channels but without the HDMI I get no HD :-(

Does anyone know if I am missing something obvious?

I have tried having only the HDMI cable plugged in, having the TV set to the correct input before switching the box on and changing the screen resolution with the VP button but nothing yet.

I took one box back and I bought a new HDMI cable. My blu-ray player works fine through the same input and with the same cable!!!!
kacetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2011, 09:20   #362
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

There have been other people posting in this thread with the same issue - I believe the HDMI port on the box was shown to be faulty. Is there a phone number for Ross customer support on your documentation? Might be worth calling them and going through some troubleshooting steps, then let them tell you to take it back to B&Q again (assuming that's where you got it) for another replacement, or a refund.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 22:25   #363
kacetwo
Inactive

Thanks Chris.

I did a search but did not find this mentioned.

I will make the call and see what happens.
Old 30-06-2011, 16:19   #364
kacetwo
Inactive

Well it's not the box it's my Sony Bravia. The HDMI output works fine on a 19 inch TV. So got to plan what I am going to do next.
Old 10-07-2011, 14:01   #365
levi1989
Inactive

levi1989 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just A quick question guys I'm new here, I've had the Ross FreeSat for round about 7 months now. Ive heared channel 4 hd is now out? as my bbc hd no longer works I wondered how I go about solving this? Do I need to update the software somehow or simply just do a re tune? thanks in advance for any answers.
levi1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 15:50   #366
Data123
Inactive

Data123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1989 View Post
Just A quick question guys I'm new here, I've had the Ross FreeSat for round about 7 months now. Ive heared channel 4 hd is now out? as my bbc hd no longer works I wondered how I go about solving this? Do I need to update the software somehow or simply just do a re tune? thanks in advance for any answers.
What box do you have?

if its the HDR-6110USB these a Firmware update at www.ross.co.uk

if you have the HDR-8130USB it should work OK you need to scan

10847 V
for BBC One HD & BBC HD

and

12607 V
for channel 4 HD
Data123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:16   #367
paddy2011
Inactive

paddy2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering if anyone has come across this proble. I set up the dish and had my tv up in the attic and was getting all the channels from Eurobird 1 & Astra 2A/2B/2D at 28.2°E fine there with the 10 metre cable supplied. I then had to put a joiner on that co-axial cable to bring it down to the sitting room (another 10 metres). There I am getting some of the channels (mostly the bbc's itv's and channel 4 stations) But i am getting a "weak signal" for most of the other channels. I put a signal booster on the join in the attic but still cant get the more "obscure" channels. Any suggestions?
paddy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:23   #368
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Extra cable, joiners and even poor quality cable can attenuate the signal (not only down from the LNB but also the control signals/voltages back up to the LNB)

Always best to use one piece of co-ax and for it to be good quality co-ax.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:45   #369
paddy2011
Inactive

I had to use a joiner as the builder had the cable to the sitting room already installed and I cant pull a new cable through the ducting- its too tight, and the wife wont let me have wires going up the walls inside. I am just wondering why I can not see all channels that i can get before joining the cable? Are they not all broadcast at the same strenght? Or has it anything to do with transponders?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:51   #370
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Two things will effect the signal, transponder ERP and also the position of the sat. Think of Astra2 as three sats all moving inside of a box in space, if your dish is perfectly pointing towards the middle of the box you'll get a good signal from the inner sats and an OK signal from the sats near the edges of the box. If your dish is slightly out then the other sats will be even weaker.. Mix that with varying transponder ERP's and you then have an issue.

If you need to keep the join then you need to check that the cable is good and that the connectors are joined to the cable properly and securely.. A good connector might equate to adding 1m to a cable (same attenuation) where as a bad connector might be the same as adding 20m to the cable) Even then it might not be enough
Old 11-07-2011, 14:23   #371
paddy2011
Inactive

Thanks for that. Just one other question. If I have to keep the join and cant change the cable as its in the walls is there different signal boosters that will overcome the problem? What would you recommend?
Old 11-07-2011, 15:19   #372
Kymmy
Inactive

New co-ax is the only thing I would recommend.. If you boost a degraded signal then you're also boosting the noise. Only other option would to replace the LNB with a higher gain/lower noise rated LNB

---------- Post added at 15:19 ---------- Previous post was at 15:17 ----------

I would though firstly check the connectors and make sure that there's no shorts and also good and corrosion free joints..
Old 11-07-2011, 15:44   #373
AZIMUTH
Inactive

AZIMUTH is on a distinguished roadAZIMUTH is on a distinguished road

hi kymmy,,,what is a transponder?
AZIMUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 16:04   #374
Kymmy
Inactive

Transponder = Receiver/Transmitter (it receives the channel from the groundstation and retransmits it on the frequency that your receiver is tuned to)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transponder
Old 11-07-2011, 16:09   #375
AZIMUTH
Inactive

AZIMUTH is on a distinguished roadAZIMUTH is on a distinguished road

sorry to be thick,,,but is the LNB the actual transponder?
is it in there?ive looked it up kymmy but dont understand what it actually is on the B&Q sat dish set up.by the way im getting good reception with the cheap SD version.
AZIMUTH is offline   Reply With Quote