Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Football : Season 08/09

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wrestling = art

Old 22-05-2009, 15:57   #1
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Wrestling = art

I know most of you don't take wrestling seriously and doubt there is any real skill involved but I found this on my travels and demonstrates the purity of good wrestling timing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRUgedVG-G8

This is the sort of thing we can only hope to acheive.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2009, 16:27   #2
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
Re: Wrestling = art

IMO Jujitsu more or an art.
STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 16:35   #3
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Jujitsu is a Martial Art obviously

But wrestling, done properly, is a different kind of art.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 22-05-2009, 16:55   #4
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

It is an art as its essientially acting. What I strongly disagree with is it being marketed as a sport which it definitely isn't. I don't think it is so much nowadays with WWE but it was in the WWF days in the early 90s.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 17:04   #5
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

I agree to a point about the acting - but it goes past that. To do what we do safely and to put it all together, that's art. There isn't anyone involved in the business at any level who will claim it's a pure sport. Saving Private Ryan didn't claim to be a live action documentary, but while watching it we suspend our disbelief and that is how wrestling (again, when done properly) should be viewed.

Like in the clip above, I know of very few people who can get their timing that spot-on. They are artists too.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 22-05-2009, 17:18   #6
Niles Crane
Inactive

Niles Crane has reached the bronze age
Niles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
I know most of you don't take wrestling seriously and doubt there is any real skill involved but I found this on my travels and demonstrates the purity of good wrestling timing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRUgedVG-G8

This is the sort of thing we can only hope to acheive.
The problem is; when most people think of professional wrestling, they think of "sports entertainment", basically WWE et al. Which as you're obviously aware is nothing like the Japanese style, or even American indie promotions like Ring of Honor. It's the whole "sports entertainment" stuff which gives wrestling such a joke reputation in the West.

When was the last time you saw an exchange of moves like that in WWE? Or even close? TNA does seem to at least put a bit more emphasis into the actual wrestling side of things.
Niles Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 17:30   #7
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

You don't get much art in WWE these day as Vince marks out for the big guys who rely on power more than finesse. ROH.....we'll have to agree to disagree there. But British and Japanese styles, they're much more artistic.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 24-05-2009, 12:53   #8
soicky
Inactive

soicky is a name known to allsoicky is a name known to allsoicky is a name known to allsoicky is a name known to allsoicky is a name known to allsoicky is a name known to allsoicky is a name known to allsoicky is a name known to all

WWE is entertainment not a sport. Some people still don't know that, but yeah you've got to have good acting skills and good physique, if not than got to be really big, so there's something appealing about you, eg. The big show.

Personally i never watch it now, find it very boring, rather watch boxing or UFC.
soicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 13:16   #9
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

It's sport in the sense those taking part have to be athletes.

To be honest I find things like boxing and UFC to be boring. I'd have hated to have paid however much it was for the 2-round Hatton fight. At least with wrestling you know you'll get entertainment for longer. It's horses for courses though, each to their own.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 24-05-2009, 16:53   #10
soicky
Inactive

soicky is a name known to allsoicky is a name known to allsoicky is a name known to allsoicky is a name known to allsoicky is a name known to allsoicky is a name known to allsoicky is a name known to allsoicky is a name known to all

Quote:
It's sport in the sense those taking part have to be athletes.

To be honest I find things like boxing and UFC to be boring. I'd have hated to have paid however much it was for the 2-round Hatton fight. At least with wrestling you know you'll get entertainment for longer. It's horses for courses though, each to their own.
Yeh, i know what you mean, but with boxing no one knows whats going to happen next, with wrestling it's all fixed, they try and make it appealing with their stunts but it's not real.
Old 24-05-2009, 16:56   #11
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by soicky View Post
but it's not real.
Ask Russ about his bruises
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 18:29   #12
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by soicky View Post
Yeh, i know what you mean, but with boxing no one knows whats going to happen next, with wrestling it's all fixed, they try and make it appealing with their stunts but it's not real.
Just to clarify - it's not all fixed. The results are predetermined but providing both workers know their stuff then 90% of what happens in the ring is off-the-cuff.

And "it's not real"....as Graham says, I have a nice list of injuries that say otherwise.

The majority of wrestlers (due to injuries I'm semi-retired but mainly referee these days) have a massive chip on our shoulders about not getting respect for what we do - we never claim it's a legit sport but we have to be very skillful and we suffer countless injuries and bumps which are all very real. And unless it's something life-threatening, the show must go on. Footballers can have injury time, the magic sponge, a bottle of lucozade etc. If we get injured in a match we carry on until the finish. Those are the unwritten rules.

</chip temporarily removed>

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 25-05-2009, 16:14   #13
soicky
Inactive

Quote:
Just to clarify - it's not all fixed. The results are predetermined but providing both workers know their stuff then 90% of what happens in the ring is off-the-cuff.

And "it's not real"....as Graham says, I have a nice list of injuries that say otherwise.

The majority of wrestlers (due to injuries I'm semi-retired but mainly referee these days) have a massive chip on our shoulders about not getting respect for what we do - we never claim it's a legit sport but we have to be very skillful and we suffer countless injuries and bumps which are all very real. And unless it's something life-threatening, the show must go on. Footballers can have injury time, the magic sponge, a bottle of lucozade etc. If we get injured in a match we carry on until the finish. Those are the unwritten rules.

</chip temporarily removed>
I think you misunderstood me when i said it's not real, i was saying it in the sense like you said the match is predetermined.

There different types of wrestling, i was talking about wwe, i believe the other is the real wrestling, where anything can happen, i think you are talking about this one.
Old 25-05-2009, 16:21   #14
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Jim Cornette famously once said "there's only 2 types of wrestling, good wrestling and bad wrestling"

I'm talking about pro-wrestling, the WWE kind.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 01-06-2009, 15:05   #15
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Jujitsu is a Martial Art obviously

But wrestling, done properly, is a different kind of art.
I take it back Russ!!! After seeing some early UFC with the likes of Dan Severn and Don Frye wrestling is an art a MMA!!

Can I suggest anyone who disagrees watches Don Frye vs Amaury Bitetti, Amaury Bitetti who is a very good jujitsu fighter but Don destroys him!!
One of the most uncomfortable to watch fights I have ever seen, one word BRUTAL!!!!!!

EDIT:

WWE kind of is pantomime though.
STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote