Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Out going Spam?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Out going Spam?

Old 20-06-2017, 23:28   #1
snazzy
Inactive

Services: BB/TV/Phone
snazzy is on a distinguished roadsnazzy is on a distinguished road
Out going Spam?

Several weeks ago I was asked to change me email password because Virgin told me accounts had been hacked or some nonsense of the like. Anyway, I changed it and it was a real hassle as their system wouldn’t allow me to do it so I had to make calls and so on to get it done. Roll on several weeks later and the outgoing bogus spam is at it again.

This is a 25 year old account and email address so I am not going to just dump it.

Here is a copy paste of one bellow. I hope Virgin are not going to tell me to change passwords yet again because they are getting hacked and blaming the customers. Does anyone have a answer to what the heck is going on?

_________COPY PASTE ________

This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-11-imp.

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "Salutation my dear man,", could not be delivered to blueteam1994@hotmail.co.uk.

The remote mail system said;
550:Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

The original message is attached.

ForwardedMessage.eml
Subject:
Salutation my dear man,
Iam Marinulechka <MY NAMEWAS HERE@ntlworld.com>
Date:
20/06/2017 18:29
To:
<blueteam1994@hotmail.co.uk>

Salutti my stranger! Woha my new friend I hope that our meet will be excitement. My name is Marina, i'm forty one years old. I live in Syberia, this is center of big Russian Federation. I am not little girl to believe in the beautiful story of love. But i want to be loved and love. I want to change my life. I work as an booker agent in a travel agency. I traveled to Turkey, Spain, Greece. I speak English. At school it was required lessons. I don't think there will be any misunderstanding between us. I'm waiting for your letter. Yours faithfully, Marinok,
PIC-870.jpg
snazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-06-2017, 00:54   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Out going Spam?

Complete nonsense from VM, no one has hacked you, or them.

All someone is doing is spoofing your email address in the sender field (you can use any address you like).

What that means is any failure messages will be bounced back to you (hence the one you got above).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 10:40   #3
snazzy
Inactive

Cheers, but..... how come it stopped for a short while when I changed my password, and now after about a month it's started again, and lastly what can be done. Thanks in advance.
Old 21-06-2017, 13:31   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Changing your password made no difference, more likely they just sent out a load, so you got a bunch of failure reports. Then a month later they sent another batch.

There isnt anything you can do except ignore / delete them.

Old 21-06-2017, 14:58   #5
snazzy
Inactive

Seems their whole email system is screwed today, giving me password problems with Thunderbird and it won't even let me go online to do my email, giving me password failures there too. This all worked before I went to bed and I was only playing computer games, so it's got to be at their end yet again.

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

RIGHT............. it is sorted again. Had to reset the p/w again. I was not able to do this from my machine again. They reset the email p/w from their side and Then used 123rescue or whatever and did some settings changes in the pop3 part of Thunderbird. changed something from ntlworld.com to virginmedia.com. "pop3.virginmedia.com" So they must have changed something last night and not let anyone know.
Old 22-06-2017, 09:47   #6
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazzy View Post
Seems their whole email system is screwed today, giving me password problems with Thunderbird and it won't even let me go online to do my email, giving me password failures there too. This all worked before I went to bed and I was only playing computer games, so it's got to be at their end yet again.

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

RIGHT............. it is sorted again. Had to reset the p/w again. I was not able to do this from my machine again. They reset the email p/w from their side and Then used 123rescue or whatever and did some settings changes in the pop3 part of Thunderbird. changed something from ntlworld.com to virginmedia.com. "pop3.virginmedia.com" So they must have changed something last night and not let anyone know.
No, those settings changes were unnecessary but not a bad thing. You could have used the pop3.virginmedia.com smtp server for years now, but the ntlworld one wasn't going anywhere. I'm not 100% sure why they've changed them but it's not a bad thing.

Paul M is absolutely right in what he's saying - VM aren't hacked and this is most likely someone spoofing your email address.

To dig a little deeper - does the "bounce back" email contain the raw email at all? Including the email headers, which will indicate where and how it was actually sent.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 10:24   #7
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

In Thunderbird <ctrl>U displays the underlying source of the email.
Old 23-06-2017, 22:23   #8
snazzy
Inactive

From - Wed May 17 16:45:01 2017
X-Account-Key: account1
X-UIDL: 00003d6b25d354ac
X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
X-Mozilla-Keys:
Return-Path: <>
Delivered-To: s.xxxxx@ntlworld.com
Received: from md5.tb.ukmail.iss.local ([212.54.59.71])
by mc4.tb.ukmail.iss.local (Dovecot) with LMTP id qn0bAVVpHFnKLgAAHW8Adg
for <s.xxxx@ntlworld.com>; Wed, 17 May 2017 17:17:33 +0200
Received: from mx4.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net ([212.54.59.71])
by md5.tb.ukmail.iss.local (Dovecot) with LMTP id C5qkOw/e/ViCJAAAeXFZqA
; Wed, 17 May 2017 17:17:33 +0200
Received: from know-smtprelay-omd-9.server.virginmedia.net ([81.104.62.41])
by mx4.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net with bizsmtp
id MTHZ1v00F0tPVwZ01THZlX; Wed, 17 May 2017 17:17:33 +0200
X-SourceIP: 81.104.62.41
X-CNFS-Analysis: v=2.2 cv=VYeHBBh9 c=1 sm=1 tr=0
a=bHlMmxDStO5jx+6vLyWZ4Q==:117 a=6e7zS5Y-ZlkA:10 a=r77TgQKjGQsHNAKrUKIA:9
a=AmpvXoZlMBTBSH45nQAA:9 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=YQuwY32NSS6q8cNJ5u4A:9
a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=NhaGCT-uTB22FTshsVAA:9 a=cUtwHIkW69h5w_-F:18
a=KQqxNPgzF0kA:10 a=DIyJOsdSk80A:10
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 16:17:33 +0100
To: s.bxxx@ntlworld.com
Subject: Delivery Status Notification
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/report; boundary="------------I305M09060309060P_968814950342530"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--------------I305M09060309060P_968814950342530
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8;
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-9-imp.

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "Shanim na vazne vztahu,", could not be delivered to bitchmypussy@seznam.cz.

The remote mail system said;
550:5.1.1 Sorry, no mailbox here by that name.

The original message is attached.

--------------I305M09060309060P_968814950342530
Content-Type: message/rfc822; Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Content-Disposition: attachment

X-Originating-IP: [37.104.222.203]
X-Authenticated-User: s.xxxxxx@ntlworld.com
X-Spam: 0
X-Authority: v=2.1 cv=VakKRwd9 c=1 sm=1 tr=0 a=XdXCfZMF568xWkrpzfXqaQ==:117
a=XdXCfZMF568xWkrpzfXqaQ==:17 a=L9H7d07YOLsA:10 a=9cW_t1CCXrUA:10
a=s5jvgZ67dGcA:10 a=vsWbFBRXkmEA:10 a=YQuwY32NSS6q8cNJ5u4A:9
a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=NhaGCT-uTB22FTshsVAA:9 a=cUtwHIkW69h5w_-F:18
a=KQqxNPgzF0kA:10
To: <bitchmypussy@seznam.cz>
Reply-To: Taniusha Pretty < pugo.vka2017@yandex.com>
Return-Path: s.xxxxxx@ntlworld.com
Errors-To: Taniusha Pretty <s.xxxxxx@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Shanim na vazne vztahu,
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="dc654bdaf7d3635143471d9d28b6cce2"
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 17:09:17 +0200
Message-ID: <20170517170919.8872.s-xxxxxx@ntlworld.com>
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=ntlworld.com;
s=meg.feb2017; t=1495034252;
bh=w3PNPKPKL6emj74AD/g3V9jJj7O2yKBlhhnLmiwYq0c=;
h=To:From:Reply-To:Subjectate;
b=zatiHfQNME2WbZipg43yeuLjbJG0FN02viiE1GVqYvri/59vZts6FQK0wtZxcTnMG
vQTvdy+SZjIgkwuTjTAI5cQTd9Qw5XOG0LWBuALPpnnZjQwQSq V8zTyZlz+PVewP3l
LHRyylys9jH5hQiOAgfbRY60M4NxE0nKt17Nody6VY2TmXMSlq QczO2Uvv4TPYnUFW
kEib5cp32WPAeVo0khOiLd7utS5zEp/TwcqupgIXp7aa9IWJ6Wh+1kzcPi1IDu9uAr
yUCP6gLUPO/NnQXCIAyUNmJkuAR67oVodM0ipipL4PHK+CgtIPVyGETh+wtb4 Oqq3+
wwefHNgjDIpjw==

--dc654bdaf7d3635143471d9d28b6cce2
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

Hledam na seriozni pomer. Laska deti a cist knihy. Jsem dvacet devet let.
Bydlim v Ruska federace. Rada bych, kdyby by se napsat. Tanchik.
--dc654bdaf7d3635143471d9d28b6cce2
Content-Type: image/jpeg; name=" PIC002.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=" PIC002.jpg"

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Can you garner anything from the above then?

Last edited by snazzy; 23-06-2017 at 22:22.
Old 24-06-2017, 00:34   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

It originated from Saudi Arabia

Quote:
X-Originating-IP: [37.104.222.203]

As we said, they spoofed your e-mail as the From & Return-Path addresses.

Quote:
To: <bitchmypussy@seznam.cz>

Return-Path: s.xxxxxx@ntlworld.com

Old 24-06-2017, 00:47   #10
snazzy
Inactive

okay, well it still wont stop Virgin from sending texts to my mobile telling me they have locked my email account yet again, but thanks.