Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Android Launchers and Keyboards

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Buying a Smart TV

Old 26-12-2016, 13:07   #1
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Buying a Smart TV

We are looking to buy a smart TV which is no bigger then 43 inches and it must have Now TV and Amazon film apps on it.

Any decent suggestions please?
Old 26-12-2016, 13:25   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Buying a Smart TV

You can't go wrong with Samsung,
Old 26-12-2016, 14:20   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Get I decent Samsung,.I Plan on getting 1 of the newer 4k TVs next year but it is too expensive for now as I want it to be the latest hdr1000 4k kind.
Old 26-12-2016, 14:22   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

AFAIK only the LG sets have nowtv built in. Otherwise being a Sony fanboi I'd suggest something in the Bravia range of sets and use a separate nowtv box.

Our 42" LED has most of the TV players plus Youtube, Amazon and Netflix.

Bear in mind that the sound from flat TV's is reedy at the best so factor in a subwoofer and possibly a sound bar if you haven't already got them or use your stereo.
Old 26-12-2016, 14:27   #5
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

I've got a Samsung, no issues with it. Have to admit using the rarely using the smart function as I've got TiVo. One thing it can be useful for is iPlayer when TiVo's cruddy version 'buffers'.

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post

Bear in mind that the sound from flat TV's is reedy at the best so factor in a subwoofer and possibly a sound bar if you haven't already got them or use your stereo.
I find the sound fine on the Samsung's own speakers but it isn't in a large room.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 14:36   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Dont buy a TV based on now TV being in it as it won't work for ever.
Old 26-12-2016, 14:37   #7
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

LG is your only option if you want all the apps built in, 43UH661V would probably be your best bet.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 14:39   #8
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

How about: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lg-4...d-john-2585824
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 14:42   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I think something like that would suit dens needs, and a good price as he probably doesn't need the latest hdr1000 technology.
Old 26-12-2016, 14:42   #10
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I find the sound fine on the Samsung's own speakers but it isn't in a large room.
The Sony replaced a 28" FST Philips tube TV with built in subwoofer and to get the same solid sound I had to add a 100 watt separate subwoofer.
Old 26-12-2016, 14:48   #11
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I think something like that would suit dens needs, and a good price as he probably doesn't need the latest hdr1000 technology.
Yes l looked at this one a while back SnoopZ as my partner certainly thought it was a pretty good TV at a reasonable price.
Old 26-12-2016, 17:59   #12
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

I would go for an LG ,steer clear of Panasonic imo ,they don't make their own stuff anymore and as mentioned the sound is very flat in these tvs because of the size of the speaker that can be fitted in them so about £150 for a sound bar should be ok ,that will include a subwoofer and if you get an LG tv and soundbar they will link wirelessly
Old 26-12-2016, 18:48   #13
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
I would go for an LG ,steer clear of Panasonic imo ,they don't make their own stuff anymore and as mentioned the sound is very flat in these tvs because of the size of the speaker that can be fitted in them so about £150 for a sound bar should be ok ,that will include a subwoofer and if you get an LG tv and soundbar they will link wirelessly
The strong favourite is LG Marty as our current TV is a LG and it has always run smoothly so better to stick with a make we can trust then one that we can't.
Old 26-12-2016, 19:01   #14
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

<49" and wanting the apps you want LG is the only choice. 49" and up for LED Samsung KS panels are so much better that it would be daft not to go for them + a box for the apps. If money is no object then LG's OLED are pretty much better than everything.

The best brands change year to year so i a few months it could be Sony or Panasonic with the best LED panels. Will still be LG for OLED for another year or two though.

My point is brand loyalty is something that shouldn't be used for TV's.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 22:39   #15
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

2015 Samsung TVs now have Now TV functionality and 2016 models will be getting it early next year.

Quote:
For the moment, you can only get the NOW TV app on 2015 Samsung TVs. The app will be available on 2016 models in early 2017.

How do I know if I have a compatible TV?
Just look at the model number – if there’s an L, JS or JU in the middle, then your TV is compatible with NOW TV.
http://help.nowtv.com/article/How-to...on-your-device
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote