Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Old 21-11-2016, 10:56   #16
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

You can indeed opt out of your Hub being used at as hotspot, but if you do then as a broadband customer you can't use the VM WiFi hotspots anywhere else.
Old 21-11-2016, 13:57   #17
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by copernob View Post
So just like Windows 10 n Microrubbish VirginMedia wants every Tom, Dick, Harry n Mary to use our Wi-Fi Routers that WE pay for...Any way of Stopping it. If Not I'm Out after 20 years with them. Can the Firewall on HIGH stop people using it.
And further to Ben's post above, nobody's going to eat into your bandwidth. They allocate a completely separate channel for the public Wifi, so you'll still get your 70meg.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 19:53   #18
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

hmm will opt out of that as i use it as a modem only
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 20:39   #19
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

So if you choose to use your SH in modem mode then you are blocked from using their WiFi hotspots ?

"its my ball so you're not playing" !

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 21:38   #20
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

It's more of a quid pro quo.

Otherwise you'd get the benefit of other Virgin Media customers sharing via their Hubs, whilst not contributing to the network coverage with your own.
Old 22-11-2016, 00:39   #21
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Its not my fault VM are incapable of doing this when you are in modem mode.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 01:02   #22
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
So if you choose to use your SH in modem mode then you are blocked from using their WiFi hotspots ?

"its my ball so you're not playing" !
Seem to remember when this was first mooted that the way to opt out would be an option in My Virgin Media. However despite what Ben has said it remains to be seen if you don't tick the opt out and are in modem mode. Maybe too many being in modem mode has caused the delay? However we'll see... Don't think it bars you from the public virgin WiFi you can now access via apps, not that's there's any of those near me anyway.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 14:03   #23
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Seem to remember when this was first mooted that the way to opt out would be an option in My Virgin Media. However despite what Ben has said it remains to be seen if you don't tick the opt out and are in modem mode. Maybe too many being in modem mode has caused the delay? However we'll see... Don't think it bars you from the public virgin WiFi you can now access via apps, not that's there's any of those near me anyway.
Fingers crossed.

I would be more than happy to allow my hub to be a hotspot, but not at the cost of modem mode.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 23:07   #24
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Its not my fault VM are incapable of doing this when you are in modem mode.
Its odd because my SH3 is currently stuck in modem mode but with wifi on

Actually I should say it's pretty much cabbaged at the moment, works but I can't turn router mode on or change any settings as it just dies and has to be factory reset. Which just puts it back to modem + wifi mode. Joy.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:20   #25
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

So whatever happened to this? Is is still 'coming soon'?
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:34   #26
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

The rollout has started. There are now some areas where the Hub network is available, and more areas will be added over the next few months.
Old 04-03-2017, 13:03   #27
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Just to keep some facts in view:

1. Public WiFi from your Hub uses the 2.4GHz band only.

2. Public WiFi from your Hub will contend with your WiFi use as the frequency is the same.

3. Public WiFi from your Hub is not part of your service profile.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 13:18   #28
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Ben can you comment on which areas are live?

Also, if we're in modem mode, do we still get access to other customers' hubs?
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 13:50   #29
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Just to keep some facts in view:

1. Public WiFi from your Hub uses the 2.4GHz band only.

2. Public WiFi from your Hub will contend with your WiFi use as the frequency is the same.

3. Public WiFi from your Hub is not part of your service profile.
Is the "Public WiFi" Traffic tunneled off somewhere or at least on a different Vlan/External IP interface than the private network traffic?

I'm not wanting to deal with the crap that would follow if someone on the "Public" side decided to access something they shouldn't.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 14:25   #30
amarkr
cf.member

amarkr is an unknown quantity at this point

https://my.virginmedia.com/my-app/wh...wifi.html#FAQs

Something amazing is starting

We want you to connect to Virgin Media WiFi in as many areas of the UK as possible, so we’re expanding our service by adding Virgin Media Hubs to the network.

We’re adding hundreds of thousands of Hubs 3.0s to our growing network, helping you connect to WiFi in even more places. There are more Hub 3.0s to come, and we’re continuing with a pilot of the Super Hub 2ac. We’re planning to complete the rollout of our service later this year.

Find out more, including which areas are covered and how to opt out.

Where have Hubs been added to the Virgin Media network so far?

So far we’ve added Hub 3.0s to the network in Basildon, Southend, Gillingham, Cambridge, the Cotswolds, Epping, Loughton, Glenrothes, South Herts and Watford, and West Sussex. Areas where Hubs are part of the network are indicated by pink circles on the map in the Virgin Media WiFi app.
amarkr is offline   Reply With Quote