Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 18-11-2013, 11:26   #31
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light
re: Netflix/Streaming Services

I find the Netflix content limited. It's good if you just want to browse their catalogue and pick something, but if you're looking for a specific film, chances are they won't have it. I just looked for 15 random movies on the current Netlfix UK content - and only 1 of them was available.
Advertisement
Old 18-11-2013, 13:01   #32
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
I find the Netflix content limited. It's good if you just want to browse their catalogue and pick something, but if you're looking for a specific film, chances are they won't have it. I just looked for 15 random movies on the current Netlfix UK content - and only 1 of them was available.
I have to agree. I have an add on to my browser called Media Hint that allows me to view and play US content on my PC. The US Netflix catalogue is impressive but view the UK content available on TiVo and it can be seen as very much the poor relation. I tried a similar random programme experiment and found seven out of ten of my choices on US Netflix and only one out of ten on UK Netflix. I'm not sure I'll keep Netflix after my free six months has expired unless its content has improved a lot.

PS - I still haven't received my promised code from Virgin for the free six months.
Old 18-11-2013, 13:35   #33
smallclone
cf.geek

smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
I have to agree. I have an add on to my browser called Media Hint that allows me to view and play US content on my PC. The US Netflix catalogue is impressive but view the UK content available on TiVo and it can be seen as very much the poor relation. I tried a similar random programme experiment and found seven out of ten of my choices on US Netflix and only one out of ten on UK Netflix. I'm not sure I'll keep Netflix after my free six months has expired unless its content has improved a lot.

PS - I still haven't received my promised code from Virgin for the free six months.
I think there may be value in it if you go down the VPN route (I'm not expanding on that as it's probably against forum rules), but it just doesn't seem value for money for a monthly sub fee if you're going to only use the UK content. It hasn't even got Scarface, Goodfellas, Godfather 2, Unforgiven, The Shining etc etc
Old 18-11-2013, 14:03   #34
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Just come across this on another forum. If you are browsing the Netflix collection in Google Chrome, it adds ratings from IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, with direct links to the film on those sites, to the info panel that you get when you mouse over a title.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...dfehfjgcapepbm

Just tried it; seems to work well and is useful for me.

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

Quote:
I think there may be value in it if you go down the VPN route (I'm not expanding on that as it's probably against forum rules), but it just doesn't seem value for money for a monthly sub fee if you're going to only use the UK content. It hasn't even got Scarface, Goodfellas, Godfather 2, Unforgiven, The Shining etc etc
Just because it doesn't include your favourite films doesn't make it bad

The UK content has increased a lot since Netflix first launched and is good value for the price. However, paying an extra £3 ish a month to use a smart DNS so that all Netflix regions can be accessed, enhances it's value massively, making it a real bargain.
Old 18-11-2013, 14:29   #35
smallclone
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Just because it doesn't include your favourite films doesn't make it bad
Sure, it's clearly a success as millions love it. I

Quote:
The UK content has increased a lot since Netflix first launched and is good value for the price. However, paying an extra £3 ish a month to use a smart DNS so that all Netflix regions can be accessed, enhances it's value massively, making it a real bargain.
Indeed.
Old 18-11-2013, 17:12   #36
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
You could say the same about Sky Movies, and look what we're paying for that
Old 18-11-2013, 17:23   #37
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Personally l think there is enough on Netflix as it is to keep me interested for a fair fair while yet.
Old 18-11-2013, 18:26   #38
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Netflix is still in it's infancy in the UK. I think the content overall is pretty good. It's better to have access to it through TiVo than not to have it on TiVo surely?
Old 18-11-2013, 18:31   #39
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Netflix is still in it's infancy in the UK. I think the content overall is pretty good. It's better to have access to it through TiVo than not to have it on TiVo surely?
That depends my parents TIVO box last night struggled to sustain 720 HD and kept dropping to 480 HD , we changed over to another device using their VM 60MB connection and it streamed perfect at the best quality , work that one out. The TIVO modem is meant to be 10mb so should stream 1080 Super HD no probs , I have no issues doing this on a 8-9mb ADSL line.
Old 18-11-2013, 18:44   #40
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
That depends my parents TIVO box last night struggled to sustain 720 HD and kept dropping to 480 HD , we changed over to another device using their VM 60MB connection and it streamed perfect at the best quality , work that one out. The TIVO modem is meant to be 10mb so should stream 1080 Super HD no probs , I have no issues doing this on a 8-9mb ADSL line.
It's possible because Netflix is brand new on Tivo, a lot of people were trying it out and it was putting a strain on the Netflix servers serving Tivo.

Apparently, different devices connect to different parts of the Netflix network (or use different streams), so it's possible the alternative device you used didn't have such a demand on it.

I'm not saying the above was the case, but it's a possibility.
Old 18-11-2013, 18:47   #41
Stokie_Craig
Inactive

Services: 500gb Tivo box, Superhubac2, XXL tv package, Sky Sports & Sky Movies, 200mb Broadband.
Stokie_Craig is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone recieved the code for netflix yet?
Old 18-11-2013, 18:50   #42
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

I found some free DNS addresses so I could try the US one to see what it was like, so now have my 360 set to watch the US one and Tivo for UK.

While the content on the UK one is a little lacking compared to the US I do like the fact that any of Netflix own content is global and having previously dismissed it before I think it is easily worth £5.99 a month especially as it device agnostic and travels with you wherever you go. I spend most nights round my other halfs place and she doesn't even have a TV and always feel as though I am paying my cable bill for nothing. We are both getting a lot of use out of my Netflix account.
Old 19-11-2013, 07:46   #43
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokie_Craig View Post
Has anyone recieved the code for netflix yet?
No nothing currently.
Old 19-11-2013, 11:21   #44
smallclone
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would pay for Sky Movies.
Old 19-11-2013, 11:41   #45
naeskydish
Inactive

Services: Tivo , V+ hd , TV XL broadband XXL
naeskydish is just really nicenaeskydish is just really nicenaeskydish is just really nicenaeskydish is just really nicenaeskydish is just really nicenaeskydish is just really nice

Quote:
I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would pay for Sky Movies.
I've got a great choice now by keeping Lovefilm and having netflix, cheaper than Skymovies and a great choice of content. I have haven't decided which one I prefer. The revamp on Lovefilm for streaming has been good, but having netflix played directly from my Tivo to me provides slightly better quality.
Closed Thread