Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 21-06-2017, 14:36   #601
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Just fixed the torn cushions on our garden swing and now it is looking as good new it really is amazing what a needle and thread can do.
Old 21-06-2017, 20:28   #602
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post
Just fixed the torn cushions on our garden swing and now it is looking as good new it really is amazing what a needle and thread can do.
Too true. Oddly enough I've just spent a while sewing my old work shorts which split as I was climbing up onto the side of the bath to complete the top row of tiles. It was so hot that the material stuck to my sweaty leg and ripped...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 12:13   #603
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

My laptop: HP Probook 450 G3. Failing to POST. Said the fan wasn't running. Stripped it down and the fan was trying but then stopping.

Ordered up a new one, fitted it and... exactly the same.

So I decided to take the risk and start the machine up to se if the fan would actually run once the heatsink got warm. Plugged in the keyboard and mouse. Seems then that Windows said it was "resumimg". Turns out I must have wrongly shut the thing down as when the screen came up the media player was still loaded and showing the last thing I watched on the TV plugged into the HDMI.

Anyway after a minute or two as the heat piped heatsink warmed up Lo! the fan came on for a minute and then stopped. It continued to cycle like this. I've shut the machine down and run it up several times now with no POST fail and the fan runs fine.

It was frigging Windows that had "done" something to stop the machine at POST.

Anyhow it's all back together and is running fine. Blasted Microsoft. £25 out of pocket for a fan, tool set and a load of grief because your stupid OS can't handle a sudden shutdown.

At least the tool set is a sound investment for getting things apart.
Old 22-06-2017, 16:25   #604
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
My laptop: HP Probook 450 G3. Failing to POST. Said the fan wasn't running. Stripped it down and the fan was trying but then stopping.

Ordered up a new one, fitted it and... exactly the same.

So I decided to take the risk and start the machine up to se if the fan would actually run once the heatsink got warm. Plugged in the keyboard and mouse. Seems then that Windows said it was "resumimg". Turns out I must have wrongly shut the thing down as when the screen came up the media player was still loaded and showing the last thing I watched on the TV plugged into the HDMI.

Anyway after a minute or two as the heat piped heatsink warmed up Lo! the fan came on for a minute and then stopped. It continued to cycle like this. I've shut the machine down and run it up several times now with no POST fail and the fan runs fine.

It was frigging Windows that had "done" something to stop the machine at POST.

Anyhow it's all back together and is running fine. Blasted Microsoft. £25 out of pocket for a fan, tool set and a load of grief because your stupid OS can't handle a sudden shutdown.

At least the tool set is a sound investment for getting things apart.
Don't ya just hate it when that happens?...
Old 22-06-2017, 16:37   #605
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Don't ya just hate it when that happens?...
Yes. It was the weirdest as it was the POST (BIOS) that was failing, not Windows boot itself so I didn't think to blame the OS.

At least posting it here might help somebody with the same issue.
Old 22-06-2017, 18:10   #606
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Yes. It was the weirdest as it was the POST (BIOS) that was failing, not Windows boot itself so I didn't think to blame the OS.

At least posting it here might help somebody with the same issue.
That's exactly what I feel. Sometimes there's a simple explanation which has been overlooked. At least you know your way around the laptop now anyway.
Old 26-06-2017, 22:00   #607
Osem
Inactive

Just replaced the handle on one of our double glazed windows. Luckily I found a suitable replacement at Toolstation for about £4 and it fitted nicely with the fixing centres exactly the same and only the spindle bar needing shortening with a hacksaw. 15 minutes and job done.
Old 08-07-2017, 17:17   #608
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Our small portable barbecue: The flat bottom of the undertray where the ash gathers has rotted in the middle and there's a big hole. The rest where the legs fit in is quite sound.

Knocked out all the loose rust and from a ridiculously expensive sheet of Aluminium from B&Q cut out a disc with the tin snips. Drilled some clearance holes and then self tapped it into place on the BBQ. Job done. hopefully ready for tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 16:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

Solar rock: This is the third time I've had this particular one apart and the fault is the same, one of the four original LEDs has gone almost short circuit. Well I've now changed all four for new ones over the three times it's been apart so hopefully that'll be fixed.

Doesn't bode well for the other two that were bought at the same time as it looks like a batch of dodgy Chinese LEDs or bad assembly practice.
Old 09-07-2017, 22:29   #609
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The switch assembly on my cooker hood. Lots of bits to unscrew to get at it but it was straightforward enough and at £25 for the part, a lot cheaper than getting someone in to do it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 15:10   #610
Osem
Inactive

The elastic waistband in a pair of the wife's leggings. More brownie points...
Old 28-07-2017, 17:18   #611
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

just serviced my coleman petrol stove and my optimus 80 petrol stove all good to go
Old 28-07-2017, 18:07   #612
Osem
Inactive

One of the two pathetically stupid plastic catches on the side of my old Vax wet and dry vacuum cleaner. The damned thing snapped off when a piece of wood fell onto it and I couldn't glue it back securely but managed to create a new catch using velcro superglued onto the top and bottom sections of the machine. Seems to be holding so far.
Old 28-07-2017, 18:13   #613
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
One of the two pathetically stupid plastic catches on the side of my old Vax wet and dry vacuum cleaner. The damned thing snapped off when a piece of wood fell onto it and I couldn't glue it back securely but managed to create a new catch using velcro superglued onto the top and bottom sections of the machine. Seems to be holding so far.
you need this it welds the plastic back together

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technicqll...EAAOSwa~BYU~rG
Old 28-07-2017, 21:39   #614
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
you need this it welds the plastic back together

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technicqll...EAAOSwa~BYU~rG
I've kept the broken plastic tab just in case I could find another fix. Is that the sort of stuff we used to use when making Airfix models I wonder? The trouble is there's so many types of plastic and it's hard to know what works on what. I have some really good superglue which works on most thongs but it wouldn't touch the plastic on the Vax.
Old 29-07-2017, 10:41   #615
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

I replaced the battery in one my smoke alarms.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote