Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | IP Camera Set Up

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

IP Camera Set Up

Old 05-07-2016, 23:28   #1
trevrpb
WeatherManTrev

Services: ultimate oomph bundle M500
trevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nice
IP Camera Set Up

Hi,

Hope this is right place to ask this.

Purchased a cheap, no brand IP Camera, but having a nightmare with trying to set up.

The IP search software that came with the camera, finds the camera, when attaching to the Superhub2. It is recognised as 192.168.1.10, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Gateway as 192.168.1.1...and this is where my problems start..I can't get any further. I believe the Gateway should be192.168.0.1, but after changing this, then selecting 'Modify' on in the software, i get 'Set gateway failed'. Could this likely be a fault with the software/camera...or am i misunderstanding the gateway to use ?

If i go to the web and try to connect to the webcam on 192.168.1.10 i get page not found...so something certainly isn't right.

I'm tearing my hair out....well I would if i had any.

It's all the more embarrassing for me as I'm a Software Test Analyst by trade, so work in IT and build my own PCs, so I'm no technophobe!!

Any thoughts/ideas are welcomed

regards

TrevP
trevrpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2016, 21:13   #2
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age
Re: IP Camera Set Up

If its on 192.168.1.0/24 by default give you computer a static ip in that range and browse to it, either set it to DHCP or set it to an IP on your 192.168.0.0/24 network.
Old 06-07-2016, 22:02   #3
trevrpb
WeatherManTrev

trevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
If its on 192.168.1.0/24 by default give you computer a static ip in that range and browse to it, either set it to DHCP or set it to an IP on your 192.168.0.0/24 network.
Thanks Matt.

I don't really want to be messing about changing anything around my PC. I was hoping the camera wouldreally work out of the box as that seems to be the case with other set ups that i have looked at. Frustrating the hell out of me that the camera ip search software that seems to believe the gateway is on 192.168.1.1, rather than 192.168.0.1...and it won't allow me to modify that, even though the instruction guide suggest i should be able to do that. It tells me failed gateway

I suppose my my question would be, what could be the issue stopping the softwar allowing me to modify the gateway to 192.168.0.1

Trev
Old 07-07-2016, 08:05   #4
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Just change the settings to configure the camera onto the right subnet and then change it back. It's not a permanent change.
Old 08-07-2016, 20:32   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I don't want to sound too harsh but this is what happens when you buy cheap stuff. Routers (isp supplied or otherwise) are always setup with an ip of 192.168.1.1 (like my Linksys routers) or 192.168.0.1 (as with the shubs). In your case it sounds like a default gateway/subnet has been set in the camera software and although you would expect to be able to change it the fact that you can't leads me to believe that poor development costs have either resulted in them writing the settings into the software which can't be changed or there is a bug in the software which they haven't fixed which won't let you change it.

Either way, the only way round it as Matt said is to change the ip addressing scheme for your network to bring it in line with the settings on the cameras. Your pc shouldn't care to much because all the addresses are going to be managed by the shub. The problem you are going to have is whether the shub lets you do it or not. 3rd party routers will let you change the address completely as well as the subnet mask but the shub's used to be set in concrete. On shub1 you was stuck with 192.168.0.1, I don't know if that has changed now.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:52   #6
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

What make of cheap on camera is it?
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 14:20   #7
trevrpb
WeatherManTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I don't want to sound too harsh but this is what happens when you buy cheap stuff. Routers (isp supplied or otherwise) are always setup with an ip of 192.168.1.1 (like my Linksys routers) or 192.168.0.1 (as with the shubs). In your case it sounds like a default gateway/subnet has been set in the camera software and although you would expect to be able to change it the fact that you can't leads me to believe that poor development costs have either resulted in them writing the settings into the software which can't be changed or there is a bug in the software which they haven't fixed which won't let you change it.

Either way, the only way round it as Matt said is to change the ip addressing scheme for your network to bring it in line with the settings on the cameras. Your pc shouldn't care to much because all the addresses are going to be managed by the shub. The problem you are going to have is whether the shub lets you do it or not. 3rd party routers will let you change the address completely as well as the subnet mask but the shub's used to be set in concrete. On shub1 you was stuck with 192.168.0.1, I don't know if that has changed now.
Thanks for the reply.

As i have alluded, i believe it could be that the software has a bug as the instruction manual certainly shows modifying the assigned camera ip address AND the gateway assigned at start up. AS said I'm not a technophobe, I'm a software tester/anayst, but networks are not my cup of tea, so messing with the settings on the router are not where i really want to go. But if I have to, and the SH2 allows me to change stuff, what happens to all the other devices connected to the network,my PC, the wife's laptop and several wireless devices ? Ultimately I want to use the camera wireless and not 'hard wired'. I no doubt will be back here...I'm rather quite embarrassed that I don't know this stuff

TrevP

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
What make of cheap on camera is it?
it's not branded...I will check through some of software

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

Right. Progress

I assigned the camera a different ip address on the the gateway that it was defaulting to, and hey presto..it accepted that! Happy days.

And now I can see images from the camera on the newly assigned ip address.

Now how to set up for wireless access...it will be another minefield for me !

TrevP

Last edited by trevrpb; 09-07-2016 at 14:42.
Old 09-07-2016, 18:59   #8
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Just goes to show "so work in IT" means nothing. It's such a wide field.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 00:30   #9
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevrpb View Post
what happens to all the other devices connected to the network,my PC, the wife's laptop and several wireless devices
for future reference absolutely nothing. It is the router's job to manage your network and each device on the network (laptop, phones etc) will always request certain information such as ip address, default gateway information etc from the router. You could change the settings on the router to whatever you wanted to and all the devices on your network would receive the same updated information and still be able to communicate with one another and the internet; that is the whole point of a router. It is obviously possible to screw things up and if you assigned static ips on each device then they would now sit on a different subnet and wouldn't see the router but if you leave everything on default settings (which most people do) then that is how things work. The only caveat, which I mentioned above, is that I am not sure if you could do it on the shub if you needed to. The shubs lack many features which any basic router should have and this used to be one of them. Someone else who uses the shub in modem might correct me.

Like I always say, if you want everything to work properly then you need to buy a proper router™

Last edited by General Maximus; 10-07-2016 at 00:34.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote