Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Networking via the mains?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Networking via the mains?

Old 22-04-2008, 21:15   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Networking via the mains?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...=22m4#overview

Right I am a real novice when it comes to computers and have a PC in my bedroom connected to the internet via an NTL cable modem and a long RJ45 (ethernet?) cable from another upstairs room. This has suited me fine until now but my eldest wants to have internet access downstairs and I don't like the idea of using wireless routers (too compicated) so I am wondering if the above devices would enable me to access the internet without using the existing cable in my bedroom and him to do so anywhere else in the house (not necessarily at the same time). To do this would I still need a router or simply connect them via the modem? I also understand they can be used to share files between PCs but would this require additional software?

I've read the FAQ's etc but can't make much sense of them so can anyone explain in simple terms what using these devices would enable me to do and how I would connect them to the PCs, modem etc.

Please keep it simple for me Many thanks.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2008, 21:27   #2
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Networking via the mains?

Those will work fine if you just want to connect one computer to another or just go from the modem to one computer.
However in order for you to both share an internet connection (and be on the internet at the same time), you will also need a router.
I presume you are on an virginmedia connection.
you can pick up a wired router for around £30.00.
eg, this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Ethe...sbs_ce_title_4

This is how your set up would be:

Virginmedia modem ------> Router

From the router two connections, 1 going to your computer upstairs, the other one going from the router into one of the homeplugs devices.
Then plug your other homeplug device anywhere on your house's main electricity ring.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 21:44   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Thanks for that

We are on Virgin Broadband and only access the internet via this connection at the moment. We're not heavy users so this is fine for now but it would be nice to be able to have an internet connection downstairs which we could connect to from time to time.

Obviously there'll come a time when being able to have 2 computers on the web at the same time would be useful. Presumably when this happens we could buy a wired router and connect both PCs via that and share the connection? What software would be required to do this?

Cheers!
Old 22-04-2008, 21:47   #4
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

I've got a pair of these (with added wireless capacity), and they do work very well. One word of advise though: The actual throughput you can expect is about 20Mbps,
due to protocol overheads. There's a nice review here.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardwa...lwiseplug.html
Old 22-04-2008, 22:04   #5
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
I've got a pair of these (with added wireless capacity), and they do work very well. One word of advise though: The actual throughput you can expect is about 20Mbps,
due to protocol overheads. There's a nice review here.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardwa...lwiseplug.html

depends on your home wiring also how many you have makes a difference.

I have 200Mbit UPA (different standard) adaptors and when 3 of them are in use I have trouble getting beyond 10- 15Mbit but its probably down to local conditions, lots of Switch Mode PSU's .etc nearby can upset them if to close.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 22:04   #6
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

I've got the devlo ones, and I can get around 75mbs (according to their software)....

I think they work really well, plugged them in and away I went - one of the very few times I've bought something IT related and it's worked straight out of the box
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 22:06   #7
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
depends on your home wiring also how many you have makes a difference.

I have 200Mbit UPA (different standard) adaptors and when 3 of them are in use I have trouble getting beyond 10- 15Mbit but its probably down to local conditions, lots of Switch Mode PSU's .etc nearby can upset them if to close.
Erm, yes. 'Maximum thoughput' is more appropriate than 'actual throughput'

I manage about 15mbps, wireless. That aside, they are really easy to set up, and rock solid.
Old 22-04-2008, 22:07   #8
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
I've got the devlo ones, and I can get around 75mbs (according to their software)....

I think they work really well, plugged them in and away I went - one of the very few times I've bought something IT related and it's worked straight out of the box
Connection speed, I was talking actuall thoughput.
Old 22-04-2008, 22:08   #9
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
Not on an actual filetransfer presumably?
Old 22-04-2008, 22:12   #10
Osem
Inactive

Don't forget me you guys !!!

Have no idea what on earth you're going on about
Old 22-04-2008, 22:19   #11
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Don't forget me you guys !!!

Have no idea what on earth you're going on about

Basically the kit you linked to claims to connect at 85 Megabit per second. But, that is the connection speed, not the speed with which you can expect to transfer files. Realistically, you can expect 10-15 Megabit per second. If you are on a 20 Meg VM package, this means that the networking kit will be a bottleneck for your downloads. If you are on a lower tier, this shouldn't a problem.
Old 22-04-2008, 22:23   #12
dragon
Inactive

basically we're saying Don't be fooled by the speed on the Box you will never get that kind of speed.

For instance My powerline adatpors say they are 200Mbit/s on the box.

I have 3 of them , IF 2 are on i can max out my 22Mbit/s Broadband.
As soon as the 3rd one is turned on I only get 10 - 15Mbit/s even though nothing is using the other 5-6Mbit of bandwidth.

Same sort of speed with PC > PC transfers over my Internal network...

The Numbers the Manufacturers quote are always in Ideal conditions (which lets face it who has those ) Overheads also reduce the speed (e.g information that they need to transfer to maintain the link, pass data between eachother.etc)
Old 22-04-2008, 22:52   #13
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

You don't need any software.
As long as all goes through the router and it's all hooked up properly, you are good to go.

It should be a case of power everything off. Connect cable modem to WAN port on router with ethernet cable. Then connect computer upstairs to router with ethernet cable.
Then hook up one of the Homeplug devices to your router with ethernet cable. Then place the other one anywhere round your house. Connect it to your other PC.
Follow any additional instructions that came with the kit.

First switch on modem, wait about 30 seconds, then power on router, wait 30 seconds, then boot up first PC and other devices.
All should be working.

you may need to log into the router to setup access but most of this is straightforward.
You might also need to allow connections on your firewall, but again it should be straight forward and be detailed in the router manual.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 12:58   #14
Osem
Inactive

So can I just confirm that if I don't need 2 PC's accessing the internet at the same time or communicating with eachother I could use these devices without a router simply to provide alternative locations for internet access for a single pc.?

Yes I know I am dim but we all have our cross to bear

Cheers all!!!
Old 23-04-2008, 13:13   #15
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
So can I just confirm that if I don't need 2 PC's accessing the internet at the same time or communicating with eachother I could use these devices without a router simply to provide alternative locations for internet access for a single pc.?

Yes I know I am dim but we all have our cross to bear

Cheers all!!!
Yes. Have a look at the third diagram ('Homeplug extension with cable modem) here:

http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/diagrams.html

To be honest, you will probably find yourself buying a router at some point. It will give you increased flexibility (connect more computers), but it also gives you added security.