Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Homeplugs - Any Good?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Homeplugs - Any Good?

Old 06-09-2007, 11:21   #1
littlebert
cf.member

littlebert is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Homeplugs - Any Good?

Hey all, I'm new here.
Was just wondering if anyone on here uses Homeplugs to network in the home.
Was thinking of trying them to hook up two pc's and the xbox 360 so the question is: Are they any good? What sort of price should i be paying? I've seen a load on line but they vary from £45 - £145, how much did you pay for yours and was it a worthwile investment?
Cheers
littlebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2007, 11:32   #2
gaffer_gump

Services: NTL 20mb Broadband. BT phone line. Tv yeah it's in the corner.
Re: Homeplugs - Any Good?

Welcome to the forum

It seems to be you get what you pay for, after reading a review in a Webuser I would be inclined to go for a high speed top end spec set..

Like these..
Old 06-09-2007, 11:37   #3
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Do they have to be on the same circuit? - I was under the impression they need to be on the same ring to work, so if your upstairs sockets are on a different ring main / breaker to your downstairs one, there's no connection? - or am I wrong/stupid?
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:10   #4
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
<snip> or am I wrong/stupid?
Do you really want us to answer that? (Hint: think very carefully before answering)
Old 06-09-2007, 13:23   #5
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Do you really want us to answer that? (Hint: think very carefully before answering)
Hmm... good point...

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 ----------

Quote:
Do they have to be on the same circuit? - I was under the impression they need to be on the same ring to work, so if your upstairs sockets are on a different ring main / breaker to your downstairs one, there's no connection?
Anyone? - as this is what has stopped me getting some of these, and relying on (flaky) wireless - if someone can clarify that would be great..
Old 06-09-2007, 13:29   #6
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebert View Post
...Was just wondering if anyone on here uses Homeplugs to network in the home...
Yes, they work brilliantly. I have one near my router, and others in the rest of the house and garage.

Quote:
Do they have to be on the same circuit? - I was under the impression they need to be on the same ring to work, so if your upstairs sockets are on a different ring main / breaker to your downstairs one, there's no connection? - or am I wrong/stupid?
I don't think they need to be on the same ring, but they won't work beyond your electricity meter. There is also a degradation of signal over distance, but this is probably only important if you live in a stately home.

A useful article can be found here: http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-intro.htm
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 13:29   #7
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

MLM,
Not used it my self, but afaik this isn't a problem.
eg the Wiki page points out
Quote:
Since the signals may travel a short distance outside the user's residence or business ... HomePlug includes the ability to set an encryption password
which implies the signal will go beyond your fuse box.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 13:57   #8
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
... implies the signal will go beyond your fuse box.
From http://www.im2web.co.uk/Homeplugs.htm:

Quote:
Q. How secure are HomePlugs?
A. Most premises are supplied with electricity at a different 'phase' to adjoining premises - HomePlug signals transmit along a single phase only - so it is unlikely that your neighbour can access your data. But if you are very concerned about security bear in mind that the HomePlug standard (and hence all HomePlugs) have built in 56Bit DES encryption technology. In short we don't think security should be an issue here!
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 15:01   #9
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Ok, another probably daft question - can I run the network cable from one of these homeplugs into a standard network hub - and run several machines off there - I don't need a 'homeplug' hub or soemthing, do i?

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

also how do they deal with powersurges?
Old 06-09-2007, 18:27   #10
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Ok, another probably daft question - can I run the network cable from one of these homeplugs into a standard network hub - and run several machines off there - I don't need a 'homeplug' hub or soemthing, do i?

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

also how do they deal with powersurges?

Yes you can mine goes via an 8 port belkin switch without any issues.

No idea not had one and i'd rather not thanks.
Although they don't like the surge protectors they have to be on an unprotected socket

I have a pair of the Zyxel 85mbit/s ones.

Although I might swap them for some 200mbit/s adaptors (which aren't homeplug but some other powerline standard ) since i'm thinking of getting BT vision and i think it comes with a couple in the box or so i've heard.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:41   #11
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

ok, all things being well I shall go and get some today.

...and if they don't work as expected, you're all in a _lot_ of trouble
Old 07-09-2007, 07:47   #12
zing_deleted

if you buy them online you have distance selling you can try them and if they do not do as you wish send them back and just lose postage.

Ive set up a few networks using these and think first posted about them some 2 years ago or more maybe
Old 07-09-2007, 07:58   #13
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

gonna pop down to maplins see if they have them
Old 07-09-2007, 11:42   #14
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

mlm let me know how that went after a powersurge would love to know if this is save cuz then I might be tempted with it.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 18:03   #15
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Someone on the newsgroups at work said they had theirs on a surge protected extension lead and it was working fine.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote