Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless HELPPPPPPPP!!!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless HELPPPPPPPP!!!!

Old 12-02-2007, 15:17   #1
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads
Wireless HELPPPPPPPP!!!!

helppppppppppp!

got the new laptop today
connected to the SECURED wireless router, internet works fine

BUTTTTTTT I cant get my router to share its files with the PC, and vice versa.... well i need the pc files on my laptop really!

so plz help! I have wasted the past 2 hours to no avail, and getting really frustrated! Never had a wireless network, so dont know how to configure one!

I did that wireless network wizard rubbish... useless!

some1 help me plzzzzz!

SETUP: I have 1 PC connected to wireless router, and 1 laptop with wireless network card. The laptop connects to the internet fine......... so what do i do now!???

PS, i can access http://192.168.1.1 via the laptop, if that helps???

I am not completely useless with computers, but this networking is not my thing :^)
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2007, 15:36   #2
videodj
cf.addict

Services: Vivid 300Mb, Tivo V6, Tivo (Full House TV)
videodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enough
Re: Wireless HELPPPPPPPP!!!!

What router are you using?

Have you run the network wizard on both computers?

Have you got a software firewall?
videodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 15:39   #3
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by videodj View Post
What router are you using?

Have you run the network wizard on both computers?

Have you got a software firewall?
Linksys WRT54GS-UK

yes

what is that?
Old 12-02-2007, 15:43   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Does this MS article help ?
Or this one?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 15:44   #5
mr_bo
Inactive

Services: V+ | o2 BB
mr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk View Post
BUTTTTTTT I cant get my router to share its files with the PC, and vice versa....
Do you mean the files on the pc? Have you set the folders on your pc where the files are you want to 'shared folders?'
mr_bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 15:46   #6
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bo View Post
Have you set the folders on your pc where the files are you want to 'shared folders?'
Have you done this?
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 15:47   #7
dcclanuk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bo View Post
Do you mean the files on the pc? Have you set the folders on your pc where the files are you want to 'shared folders?'
yes, but i cant "see" my pc on my laptop or vice versa!

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Or this one?
reading this now!
Old 12-02-2007, 15:48   #8
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Can you view the workgroup computers?
Old 12-02-2007, 15:59   #9
dcclanuk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikesh View Post
Can you view the workgroup computers?
no, thats where the problem is!

on the laptop i see only the laptop, and on the computer there is nothing in the workgroup!

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Or this one?
i tried disabling the windows firewall, still doesnt work!

oh god, this is much more harder than i thought!
Old 12-02-2007, 16:02   #10
Nikesh
Inactive

Do you have any other firewalls installed like Virgin Media PC Guard?
Old 12-02-2007, 16:05   #11
dcclanuk
Inactive

Quote:
Do you have any other firewalls installed like Virgin Media PC Guard?
nope. Both the laptop and computer have norton on them.... lemme try disabling them and trying!

edit: didnt work!
Old 12-02-2007, 16:14   #12
Nikesh
Inactive

Can you try typing 'ping name-of-computer-you-want-to-access' in Command Prompt.
Old 12-02-2007, 16:31   #13
dcclanuk
Inactive

Quote:
Can you try typing 'ping name-of-computer-you-want-to-access' in Command Prompt.
it cannot find the host, both ways.... pc-laptop, laptop-pc

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

dont know if this affects anything, but my computer doesnt have a wireless network card installed! only the laptop does! so is it still possible to access the computer files via the laptop since the computer is connected directly to the router???

come on u techies! where are u guys
Old 12-02-2007, 16:33   #14
Nikesh
Inactive

It doesn't matter how you've connected the PC and Laptop to the router, they should still be able to see each other.
Old 12-02-2007, 16:46   #15
dcclanuk
Inactive

Quote:
It doesn't matter how you've connected the PC and Laptop to the router, they should still be able to see each other.
wat could be the problem then?