Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Family Settings and TP Link issues

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Family Settings and TP Link issues

Old 09-10-2016, 11:59   #1
pend1711
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV and Broadband
pend1711 is an unknown quantity at this point
Family Settings and TP Link issues

I have the VM Super Hub 2. I have timed restrictions set up in Security (MAC filtering). They seemed to work fine and helped me restrict my boys on their games consoles. Recently I bought TP links to help them have a wired connection and it boosts the WIFI around the house. However the TP Link wired connections seem to ignore the restrictions I've set up in the VM router.

Is this a known problem or is there something I need to do with the TP Link or router differently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I thought about buying one of the TP Link models where you can set up its own settings - but they only seem to work on the model attached direct to the router and not the paired TP's around the house.
pend1711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2016, 18:19   #2
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: Family Settings and TP Link issues

What type of TP Link devices have you bought?
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 20:38   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Without going into an depth explanation of how routing works I will summarise and say that it is more than likely that the shub was able to see the macs on the switch side when the devices were directly connected to it and now that are going through another switch/middleman the shub can now only see the tplink switch and not what is behind it.
That being said, my Linksys router see everything behind all 4 of my switches but I don't know whether that is specifically down to my router or a combination of the router's ability to do so and the fact that all my switches are Linksys as well.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:02   #4
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

If the tp-link is configured as a repeater either by design or just how it happens to be configured assuming theres some kind of gui then the likelihood is that is' assigining a virtual MAC address to each client which connects thus rendering any filtering rules on the shub useless.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:39   #5
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
That being said, my Linksys router see everything behind all 4 of my switches but I don't know whether that is specifically down to my router or a combination of the router's ability to do so and the fact that all my switches are Linksys as well.
I have a Buffalo Nfiniti router and netgear POE switches but everything that is wired can "see" everything else whether on the switches or on other router ports so you're not unique General.