Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nintendo 3DS

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Nintendo Games Systems

Nintendo 3DS

Old 28-03-2011, 11:30   #1
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Nintendo 3DS

Hi all,

I have been thinking about getting one of these, but have been put off as £200 for a handheld console is a bit much, but wanted to ask if anyone has one, what they think of it, and is the price justifiable?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-03-2011, 11:40   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Nintendo 3DS

Go to your nearest hmv or Game as they will have a unit for you to try out.

I haven't bought one yet but the 3DS is amazing. Played it at a Nintendo pre launch event. 3D effect on it is stunning!
Old 28-03-2011, 11:44   #3
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

I take it you are going to buy one then?
Old 28-03-2011, 12:50   #4
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Eventually.

Other half has forrbidden me until I pay our holiday off lol.
Old 28-03-2011, 13:33   #5
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

My boy wants one for his birthday, but I'm not convinced yet.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 13:40   #6
Zing

the 3d aspect of these are proving to have negative effects on the eye over perlonged use. Its all to do with how the eye and brain together percieve depth.

Extreme tests show that the eye and brain adapts and changes. In an experiement glasses where used to flip the eyes image ( which is already upside normally the brain puts it right) so for a while you see upside down. Over a short period of time the brain corrects this and you see the right way up. Remove the glasses and with nothing you actually see upside down again

The 3D can fool the brain into requiring an adjustment

Tests have also shown that in children under 6 it can damage eye developement

http://www.mobilemag.com/2010/12/30/...hildrens-eyes/

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/24976/
Old 28-03-2011, 13:52   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

am sure an hour or two a day or every so often won't do any damage, where as a few hours everyday may have some effect.

You can always turn down the 3D effect or turn it off totally if you want to.
Old 28-03-2011, 14:11   #8
Zing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
am sure an hour or two a day or every so often won't do any damage, where as a few hours everyday may have some effect.

You can always turn down the 3D effect or turn it off totally if you want to.
answer me this. How many parents and how many children will just not monitor useage? Some parents are to busy or can't be arsed and a hell of a lot of kids these days are just lazy. Bet very few will even be aware of risks
Old 28-03-2011, 14:48   #9
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

I was actually talking about me ;-)
Old 28-03-2011, 15:04   #10
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

Nintendo 3DS might be good for children's eyesight
http://www.t3.com/news/nintendo-3ds-...yesight?=54567

Quote:
Go for an eye exam...or buy a Nintendo 3DS

The Nintendo 3DS might actually be a good way of detecting eye problems in young children, despite some doctors warning that it could be harmful for their eyesight.

The American Optometric Association has come out with the news that, inspite of Nintendo themselves warning that the 3DS should not be used by children under the age of 6, allowing kids to play with the 3D console might help catch vision disorders.
I think "good for" might be stretching it a bit

What I find interesting, is that early days, all reviews were full of praise, but now there seems to be a certain amount of "Emperor's new clothes"

Quote:
Nintendo 3DS hands-on review

3D if you sit still

Though the 3D illusion is effective and quite impressive you do really have to play while sitting as still as you can. We tried using the console in 3D mode on the train but found it was impossible to hold it steady enough to stay in the viewing window to see the 3D effect, forcing us to downgrade to 2D. A massive disappointment, considering that the console is designed to be a portable device.

You really do have to concentrate on keeping the console still even when, for example, sitting at a desk and playing. This is frustrating when you just want to get on with gaming. If you're one of those gamers who gets into your games and ends up moving the console around in an effort to aid your play then this will cause you problems when trying to use the Nintendo 3DS.

We strongly recommend that you try before you buy to see how you react to the 3D effect, in order to see if it's really for you or not. µ

Read more: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...#ixzz1HJwmRIha
Battery inadequacies as well?
Quote:

Cradled by inadequacy: the 3DS battery put to the test
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...o-the-test.ars
When Nintendo announced that the battery life for the 3DS would be three to five hours while playing 3DS games, many people assumed that was a worst-case scenario, and you could extend that time by turning down the 3D, or the system's brightness, or turning off the wireless connection. The truth is that five hours seems to be the hard limit, and we had a very hard time even hitting that.

Using the cradle whenever the system isn't being played is a habit you're going to want to pick up, especially with a charging time of around three and a half hours.

I'm sure a 3DSi, 3DSXL or something will be out sooner or later to fix the early issues

Also, the launch games haven't received much praise, but I guess that's quite normal for console launch.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 22:31   #11
Jameseh

Its still a great system without the 3D on. The games have better graphics (although in the world of 59p apps, the graphics would have to be better than Jesus to impress the current budget crowd) and it feels more like a device instead of the usual 'game only' Nintendo handheld. Being able to pause the game and do other activities without quitting out make it better than the DSi models.

Price is a bit steep for Nintendo but otherwise I'd recommend one, especially with the usual Super Mario/Zelda/Mario Kart/Professor Layton coming out soon.
Old 04-06-2011, 15:47   #12
Dave9946
Inactive

Dave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the rough

I seen 1 of these 3DS's first hand for the first time today and have mixed opinions.

First off I'd assume that 3DTV and 3D cinema (because I've not viewed any first hand yet) push the 3D experiance out out the flat screen towards you right?. And that any perception of 3D is from the back to the front of the screen towards you (because thats how I recall the system when as a kid we went into the 3D cinema experience at Alton Towers?).

But for as good, and it really does look good and a whole new DS experience the 3DS pushes the image backwards from the screen in the same way as those 3D holographic posters you get these days do.

Am I missing the point and will be dissapointed if I upgraded my tv equipment to 3D. But is propper 3D supposed to come out of the screen surface and not go back behind it?.
Dave9946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 17:05   #13
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Hi Dave,

No most new 3D is all about giving the image depth and more about immersing you in the world rather than poking you in the eye as such. Which is a lot better IMO.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:55   #14
smcaul
Inactive

Services: XL BB, Xl TV +Tivo, V+, VHD ,XL Phone, 1Gb Mobile BB, 3 x Virgin Mobiles
smcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nice

We got one for our daughters 8th birthday the other day, I have to say I am really quite impressed with it

Whilst the battery life is not as good as the DS Lite, it is not a problem, it still lasts a good amount of time.

She is really happy with it and her friends like it as well, think our name is now mud with her friends parents as they are being badgered for them now!!!!
smcaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 19:06   #15
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Finally bought one today with Nintendogs included, a case and game care (just in case lol). Only question is and i cant find the answer, do you have to charge it fully initially before you can use it?