Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 17-03-2017, 17:16   #1801
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

With the aid of Classic Start I have my windows 8.1 looking and working just like win 7 only newer... I won't be going to win 10 ever though, if there's a win 11 I'll take a look, but Win 10 is a joke.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-03-2017, 18:33   #1802
gulf4uk
Annette stevenson

Services: Broadband 200mg digital tv .XL Tv package : Phone . win 10 win XP (Favourite)
gulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about them

My Son Win 10 last update set Browser Default to the microsoft one and
he could not get it back on settings to Firefox . he set as default that Failed
i got it right by going to the old Style settings Page an did it by clicking
set Defaults selected firefox that worked and has stayed ok.
gulf4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 12:36   #1803
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
With the aid of Classic Start I have my windows 8.1 looking and working just like win 7 only newer... I won't be going to win 10 ever though, if there's a win 11 I'll take a look, but Win 10 is a joke.
Microsoft have stated that Windows 10 is the last and that they will be doing updates to 10 instead of full blown releases. I think this is the way Apple are now doing OSX. I read somewhere the other day that company’s IT depts. are not moving to Windows 10 because of the extreme amount of snooping that Microsoft do via 10. There even putting ruddy adverts in the file manager screen now so what is next for there adverts maybe a advert on login that you cannot skip

https://betanews.com/2017/01/09/micr...eators-update/

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/

Last edited by Sirius; 20-03-2017 at 12:43.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 12:43   #1804
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Microsoft have stated that Windows 10 is the last and that they will be doing updates to 10 instead of full blown releases. I think this is the way Apple are now doing OSX. I read somewhere the other day that company’s IT depts. are not moving to Windows 10 because of the extreme amount of snooping that Microsoft do via 10. There even putting ruddy adverts in the file manager screen now so what is next for there adverts maybe a advert on login that you cannot skip

Many companies are still on XP.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 13:12   #1805
techguyone
Deus Vult

techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age

I'll bet that most companies would only leave windows 7 at the latest kicking and screaming when MS cease meaningful support for it.

Businesses probably need something like the old NT4 style where business & home use were completely separate products.
Old 20-03-2017, 14:38   #1806
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
I'll bet that most companies would only leave windows 7 at the latest kicking and screaming when MS cease meaningful support for it.

Businesses probably need something like the old NT4 style where business & home use were completely separate products.

I remember being on a BETA for NT4
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 15:25   #1807
techguyone
Deus Vult

I loved NT4, I used it until XP came along, as the 16 bit versions of Windows at the time were so poor and would fall over if you gave them a hard stare. By the time SP6 came out, there wasn't anything that 16 bit windows could do, that it couldn't do as well (multimedia stuff mainly)
Old 21-03-2017, 14:08   #1808
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
Many companies are still on XP.
My main desk system is, along with office 2000 pro with the later docx, xlsx etc translators. Partly as I need legacy support for older 16 bit applications that can never be updated. A lot of NC* machines (Lathes, routers) are still on old DOS based systems with their data on 3 1/2" floppy drives.

A lot of applications are still 32 bit underneath and with a bit of fettling will run quite happily under XP. It's usually the installer that is the issue.

I was able to bash W7 pro into submission on the laptop with classic shell and some strategic registry hacks. W10 is a whole new can of worms.

*Numerically controlled.
Old 29-03-2017, 16:42   #1809
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Windows 10 Creators Update confirmed for 11th April

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...PTFti8wotTp.97
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 16:45   #1810
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
Windows 10 Creators Update confirmed for 11th April

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...PTFti8wotTp.97
Oh god no, that means even more adverts inserted in places i dont want them. I have just had a read of the info in the link and it goes on about all the new extras but it omits that they are now going to hit you with adverts they call information pop outs

https://betanews.com/2015/10/15/micr...o-display-ads/

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...rts-share-tool

And finaly

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30398...stop-them.html

Last edited by Sirius; 29-03-2017 at 16:50.
Old 29-03-2017, 16:55   #1811
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Oh god no, that means even more adverts inserted in places i dont want them. I have just had a read of the info in the link and it goes on about all the new extras but it omits that they are now going to hit you with adverts they call information pop outs

https://betanews.com/2015/10/15/micr...o-display-ads/

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...rts-share-tool

And finaly

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30398...stop-them.html
been running the 15063 built as a insider for few days it runs fine. NO ads yet but lots on twitter saying can be turned off we will see sure they be away around the ads
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 18:00   #1812
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
This might happen sooner that you'd think..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...cle-fact-sheet

Windows 7 SP1 has already gone past the end of mainstream support. Extended support finishes in 2020. IIRC, After that, Microsoft will support it, but will charge a *lot* of money per machine to update it.
Quote:
They do sort of have that in Windows 10. For consumers, there is Windows 10 home. For "power users" and small to medium businesses, there is Windows 10 Pro. For large businesses and other enterprises, there is Windows 10 Enterprise (which is only available if you are on one of Microsoft's Volume Licensing schemes).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 19:28   #1813
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
been running the 15063 built as a insider for few days it runs fine. NO ads yet but lots on twitter saying can be turned off we will see sure they be away around the ads
Just gone through the list on my bottom link and turned off as much as i can. should they make it impossible to remove the ads then my final machine still running 10 will be rolled back to 7.

Old 29-03-2017, 21:34   #1814
gulf4uk
Annette stevenson

Services: Broadband 200mg digital tv .XL Tv package : Phone . win 10 win XP (Favourite)
gulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about them

that looks like Big trouble Ahead you should be given choice Download yes\no
gulf4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 00:13   #1815
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Just gone through the list on my bottom link and turned off as much as i can. should they make it impossible to remove the ads then my final machine still running 10 will be rolled back to 7.
Can we leave your bottom out of this please?

You can't "roll back" to w7 although you can reinstall a fresh copy and then install a back-up copy if you have one.

The "roll back" option is only available for 30 days and doesn't always work successfully.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote