Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

[Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030

Old 27-07-2017, 08:41   #61
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Petrol & diesel vehicles ban.

Advances in computing and electronic devices are very different, in that they don't have to do much physical work. Where physical work was involved, advances meant less physical work was required to achieve the same result, eg HDDs vs SSDs.

Propelling a vehicle for 100 miles with a family, coping with difficult terrain eg hills, difficult weather conditions eg snow, and possibly towing a caravan requires physical work, no matter what the propulsion system. There is absolutely no way around that. The amount of energy required to be transferred and stored in a battery is huge. The nearest thing would be a battery you could top up with pre-charged liquid. Not sure how safe that liquid would be to handle. It would be more "volatile" than petrol.

The energy in petrol was locked in millions of years ago. Having to "generate" that amount of energy each day and having to distribute it down power lines is pretty much a non-starter. Then you've got to replace current gas usage.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-07-2017, 09:44   #62
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Again though it's not as if we're talking about a hypothetical technology where. Electric engines power sports cars right now. Tesla may be at the cutting edge of electric car technology now but in a decade it will seem primitive to what we'll have then.

There seems to be a belief in this debate that it'll never catch on and/or the hurdles are too great for it but that seems to be missing the fact that it's already happening. Volvo will be electric only in just a few years.

The only real hassle I see to a country full of electric cars is generating the energy to do so. But that is a sink or swim moment for the country anyway, we've needed to address this problem for over a decade and so we need more power plants and more renewable energy. Solar panels continue to get more and more efficient in terms of energy generated per panel. We're building one nuclear power plant, let's have more.

The country has to stop saying 'No' to everything and acting as if we're a dying horrible nation in a state of managed decline. We need to address the issue of pollution and we need to address power supply.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 10:19   #63
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Again though it's not as if we're talking about a hypothetical technology where. Electric engines power sports cars right now. Tesla may be at the cutting edge of electric car technology now but in a decade it will seem primitive to what we'll have then.

There seems to be a belief in this debate that it'll never catch on and/or the hurdles are too great for it but that seems to be missing the fact that it's already happening. Volvo will be electric only in just a few years.

The only real hassle I see to a country full of electric cars is generating the energy to do so. But that is a sink or swim moment for the country anyway, we've needed to address this problem for over a decade and so we need more power plants and more renewable energy. Solar panels continue to get more and more efficient in terms of energy generated per panel. We're building one nuclear power plant, let's have more.

The country has to stop saying 'No' to everything and acting as if we're a dying horrible nation in a state of managed decline. We need to address the issue of pollution and we need to address power supply.
i hope these nuclear power plants are going in your backyard not mine , and who's this we you keep banging on about from where i'm sitting it's you i'm totally against nuclear it's dangerous .
Old 27-07-2017, 10:33   #64
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
i hope these nuclear power plants are going in your backyard not mine , and who's this we you keep banging on about from where i'm sitting it's you i'm totally against nuclear it's dangerous .
You name something that isn't dangerous. Its all a matter of proportion. How do weigh up all those killed on the roads or by pollution compared with the nuclear accidents.

We have few electric cars round here and I have noticed that they are completely silent so that should put up the accident rate.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 10:34   #65
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
We as a country. It's got to be something other than a shine for the 1970s which it seems some would rather it be.
Old 27-07-2017, 11:44   #66
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien View Post
again though it's not as if we're talking about a hypothetical technology where. Electric engines power sports cars right now. Tesla may be at the cutting edge of electric car technology now but in a decade it will seem primitive to what we'll have then.

There seems to be a belief in this debate that it'll never catch on and/or the hurdles are too great for it but that seems to be missing the fact that it's already happening. volvo will be electric only in just a few years.

The only real hassle i see to a country full of electric cars is generating the energy to do so. But that is a sink or swim moment for the country anyway, we've needed to address this problem for over a decade and so we need more power plants and more renewable energy. Solar panels continue to get more and more efficient in terms of energy generated per panel. We're building one nuclear power plant, let's have more.

The country has to stop saying 'no' to everything and acting as if we're a dying horrible nation in a state of managed decline. We need to address the issue of pollution and we need to address power supply.
Vote Damien!
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 11:51   #67
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
You name something that isn't dangerous. Its all a matter of proportion. How do weigh up all those killed on the roads or by pollution compared with the nuclear accidents.

We have few electric cars round here and I have noticed that they are completely silent so that should put up the accident rate.
and what do we do with all the radioactive waste that is produced , i read yesterday that air pollution is lowering life expectancy by about 3.5 minutes
Old 27-07-2017, 11:58   #68
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
and what do we do with all the radioactive waste that is produced , i read yesterday that air pollution is lowering life expectancy by about 3.5 minutes
The Council will issue special skull and crossbones plastic bags for us to dispose of the waste safely whereafter it will be piled up on the moon. Voila!
Old 27-07-2017, 12:00   #69
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

So, you have an electric car and a driveway or garage with a power socket so you can recharge the car when not in use.

But what if you don't have a driveway? What if you have to hunt around the area every time you want to park at a kerbside? Will the streets of the country be lined with charging sockets? Or will pavements be strewn with leads from kerbs to gardens or houses?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 12:03   #70
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
The Council will issue special skull and crossbones plastic bags for us to dispose of the waste safely whereafter it will be piled up on the moon. Voila!
or use it as filler for cycle paths
Old 27-07-2017, 12:04   #71
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
or use it as filler for cycle paths
There are no cycle paths on the moon. Nor air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
So, you have an electric car and a driveway or garage with a power socket so you can recharge the car when not in use.

But what if you don't have a driveway? What if you have to hunt around the area every time you want to park at a kerbside? Will the streets of the country be lined with charging sockets? Or will pavements be strewn with leads from kerbs to gardens or houses?
The chargers will be installed in/on lamposts amongst other places.
Old 27-07-2017, 12:14   #72
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:

no no no Taf let's not put any thought into this

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

Quote:
There are no cycle paths on the moon. Nor air.

there won't be any cycle paths down here in the future

theres 93 houses in my street and 8 lampposts - good news for me lamppost outside my house but i guess i'll have to fight for it ,and stay up all night watching it incase someone unplugs my tossla and plugs theirs in .
Old 27-07-2017, 12:20   #73
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
no no no Taf let's not put any thought into this

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

theres 93 houses in my street and 8 lampposts - good news for me lamppost outside my house but i guess i'll have to fight for it ,and stay up all night watching it incase someone unplugs my tossla and plugs theirs in .
Crikey, the dogs have it tough in your street.
Old 27-07-2017, 12:22   #74
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Crikey, the dogs have it tough in your street.
it brings a whole new meaning to Walkies
Old 27-07-2017, 12:34   #75
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

Quote:
In London we're seeing more of these:

I think we'll see cars with longer range and quicker charging times though so a charge in another car park will suffice for many. Although again I wonder if self-driving cars will reduce the amount of cars everywhere anyway.