Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 24-05-2017, 20:26   #1366
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It's been going on since the end of 2015 - it started with the Sky Sports and Cinema HD channels:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...e/td-p/2973856

What is actually now happening is that all SA V+ HD boxes will be disconnected completely - all channels will be removed, not just HD ones.

So if you have one, or maybe two, what will they be replaced with?
Advertisement
Old 24-05-2017, 21:43   #1367
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
So if you have one, or maybe two, what will they be replaced with?
A TiVo (or two)
Old 25-05-2017, 00:40   #1368
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
I believe that will be the case yes. No idea yet what exactly the difference will be but I'm sure that'll become clear once the change happens.
Excellent news, in effect we should have a virtual increase on the 1tb limit as we will be able to fit more recordings onto it.

Maybe this is why they never bothered with a 2tb TiVo after all.
Old 25-05-2017, 01:56   #1369
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Excellent news, in effect we should have a virtual increase on the 1tb limit as we will be able to fit more recordings onto it.
When they actually start using MPEG4 on the linear channels. The last scan data I received showed that it was used on a round number of video streams, that round number being zero. At present, MPEG4 only seems to be used for on-demand content. Let's see how things actually change when the SA V+ boxes are finally removed from service.

Quote:
Maybe this is why they never bothered with a 2tb TiVo after all.
Hmmm... I don't know about that. In general, given more space, people just record more to fill it and watch at their leisure.

Old 25-05-2017, 06:06   #1370
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
When they actually start using MPEG4 on the linear channels. The last scan data I received showed that it was used on a round number of video streams, that round number being zero. At present, MPEG4 only seems to be used for on-demand content. Let's see how things actually change when the SA V+ boxes are finally removed from service.

Hmmm... I don't know about that. In general, given more space, people just record more to fill it and watch at their leisure.
Like our household.
Old 25-05-2017, 10:23   #1371
The Yank
Inactive

Services: VIP(300BB) 2xV6 Boxes
The Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really nice

Quote:
Yes - end of this month. At some point after that, Virgin Media will move all HD channels over to MPEG4.
so the Samsung V+ box is MPEG4 and hence future proof (for now).
Old 25-05-2017, 10:49   #1372
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Yes both the Samsung V+ HD and the Cisco V HD boxes are both MPEG4 compatible.
Old 25-05-2017, 12:30   #1373
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
I take it in the foreseeable future VM are not getting any new channels?
i think so...

morning all. Hope you're still all handsome and lovely
Old 25-05-2017, 16:50   #1374
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
I take it in the foreseeable future VM are not getting any new channels?
There are no decent new channels on the Horizon unless VM has managed to get a new deal with Sky, as has been rumoured.

If we get anything of note, I think it will be on demand, which is almost certainly where any new UHD content will turn up.
Old 26-05-2017, 03:04   #1375
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
How much more recording could we do on a 1tb box if/when VM change to Mpeg 4?

---------- Post added at 01:04 ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
i think so...

morning all. Hope you're still all handsome and lovely
Talking Pictures might be coming.
Old 26-05-2017, 04:24   #1376
jj20x

Quote:
How much more recording could we do on a 1tb box if/when VM change to Mpeg 4?
Nobody can put an exact figure on that. Even now, with MPEG2, video streams run at different bitrates. Universal HD generally has a higher bitrate than, say, Fox HD. With a 100% full TiVo you could potentially delete a 1 hour recording made from Universal HD and create enough space to record 2, 1 hour, recordings from Fox HD. Sky Sports HD channels have even greater bitrates than Universal HD. There is no accurate answer, it depends on what you record and the amount of data in the individual video stream being recorded.

The only accurate answer is that MPEG4 would take up less space than MPEG2. Exactly how much less? How long is a piece of string?

[In certain circumstances, MPEG4 can be around twice as efficient as MPEG2. That doesn't really mean that MPEG4 would double the capacity of the box. Other factors are involved.]

---------- Post added at 03:24 ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 ----------

Quote:
Talking Pictures might be coming.
Or maybe it is just visiting, following the trend set by Amazon Video and Viceland. I tend to think of it along the lines of students getting the feel of a new school on an open day.

Old 26-05-2017, 10:40   #1377
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

That's right, but more recording capacity is badly needed in my house. I found my V6 99% full two days ago - just got to it in time to prevent arbitrary deletions!

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

Quote:
Nobody can put an exact figure on that. Even now, with MPEG2, video streams run at different bitrates. Universal HD generally has a higher bitrate than, say, Fox HD. With a 100% full TiVo you could potentially delete a 1 hour recording made from Universal HD and create enough space to record 2, 1 hour, recordings from Fox HD. Sky Sports HD channels have even greater bitrates than Universal HD. There is no accurate answer, it depends on what you record and the amount of data in the individual video stream being recorded.

The only accurate answer is that MPEG4 would take up less space than MPEG2. Exactly how much less? How long is a piece of string?

[In certain circumstances, MPEG4 can be around twice as efficient as MPEG2. That doesn't really mean that MPEG4 would double the capacity of the box. Other factors are involved.
That's interesting - thank you for that. So maybe I'll get 50% more space on my V6 all in all once all my existing recordings have been watched. That will certainly be handy.
Old 26-05-2017, 11:01   #1378
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That's right, but more recording capacity is badly needed in my house. I found my V6 99% full two days ago - just got to it in time to prevent arbitrary deletions
99% full.
Old 26-05-2017, 11:15   #1379
The Yank
Inactive

Services: VIP(300BB) 2xV6 Boxes
The Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really nice

Quote:
was unaware about the V HD box - can't see Cisco written on mine but would imagine I would have been notified if mine was at risk.
Old 26-05-2017, 12:37   #1380
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation
Question Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
I suppose Ben we are along way off for the SD channels being compressed to MPEG4 because there are a load of legacy SD only boxes out there I suppose?

Closed Thread