Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Internet takes my Network down

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Internet takes my Network down

Old 15-12-2016, 10:31   #1
djdisco
Inactive

djdisco is an unknown quantity at this point
Internet takes my Network down

I have tried to set up a simple Home Network and have the following setup:

Latest Virgin Superhub connected to Virgin Network
Netgear Prosafe 8 port gigabit Ethernet switch connected to the Superhub
1 Windows 10 Desktop connected to the switch
1 Windows 7 Laptop connected to the switch
various other eqpt connected to the switch (speaker, printer etc)

All above connections are wired.

My problem is when there is a problem with my Virgin internet (which is happening a lot lately) it stops my Network from working, PC's cannot see each other, printer wont work, speaker wont work etc. Most of the time, a reboot of the router fixes the problem. But I don't understand why an internet problem takes my network down, Have I done something wrong ?

Any advice greatly appreciated
djdisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-12-2016, 12:21   #2
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Internet takes my Network down

The standard answer is to put the superhub into modem and buy a proper router. There is a small problem I believe that you may still get interruptions on the shub but they wont directly affect your network.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 17:28   #3
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Could you not connect most of you equipment to the shub's ports
Old 15-12-2016, 17:33   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

The thing to remember is that even though you are using a switch the actaly network connections are handled via the router.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 19:39   #5
djdisco
Inactive

Thanks for taking time to post responses.

I have 10 pieces of gear that I connect to network so unfortunately I have to use a switch.

It became bad today after a windows 10 update and Virgins initial response was 'it's not a Virgin problem you need to take your PC to a shop and have it fixed !'
I had a poke round on the internet and found some details on how to resolve the issue. It didn't work at first but then I plugged both pcs into the router rather than the switch and they connected. Everything connected to the switch is still not working. Not really sure why that is ?
Old 15-12-2016, 19:47   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Why do you think the result of a windows 10 update is the responsibility of VM??

The recent W10 update is well documented and acknowledged by MS which fix did you use?

https://www.extremetech.com/computin...ity-broke-dhcp
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 21:40   #7
djdisco
Inactive

I'm sorry if I gave that impression, I accept that Microsoft have caused the problem. I used the same fix as detailed in the link you posted. The reason for my post is to try and resolve the network issue I have as I am not experienced enough to know if I have set it up in the best way, I am a complete novice.
Old 17-12-2016, 23:24   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I'll keep a many-years-long-story and summarise by saying that the shubs don't work very well and they aren't proper routers either. Without writing a mini essay, the best thing you can do to mitigate any and all future problems is to buy your own proper router which will manage your network for you and work independently from the shub and put the shub in modem mode and use it solely as a modem. If the shub goes down for whatever reason your lan stays up and all your devices remain connected to one another. The reason why your lan is dropping (not that it should) is because whatever is causing the shub is crash. You are assuming that it is an internet connection problem but it is more than likely a general fault with the shub which is manifesting itself by firstly dropping the wan connection (port 1) and quickly dropping the other lan ports and/or causing the router part of the shub to crash. The next time it happens the best thing you can try and do is to connect to the gui on 192.168.0.1 and see if you have still got connectivity to the shub. It probably isn't so much that the devices can't talk to one another, it is probably the shub has crashed and each device has dropped their connection to the shub and aren't connected to the network which is why they can't talk to one another.

Last edited by General Maximus; 17-12-2016 at 23:29.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 13:45   #9
djdisco
Inactive

General Maximus thank you for your help. I've spent some time putting the SH into Modem mode and using another Netgear R700 as the router and all seems so much better. Only question I have is:

I have a cable from the SH internet port into the internet port of the R700 (in another room), in order to get it to work I then had to bring a cable back from the router (port 1) and into the switch which most of the gear is attached to. Is this the correct thing to do ?
Old 18-12-2016, 14:04   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

It sure is. When the shub is in modem mode the only active port is port 1 which any device (e.g stadalone pc) will need to be connected to if it wants internet access. In this case it is the wan port port on your netgear router which will need to be connected to port 1 on the shub so the router has internet access and then any and all devices go through the router. If you want to run a switch or anything else then it will need ti be connected to one if the 4 ports on the switch on the back of the netgear router.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote