Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think of your engineer this Christmas :)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Think of your engineer this Christmas :)

Old 03-12-2014, 22:00   #1
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS
Talking Think of your engineer this Christmas :)

Please think of your engineer as a human and not a machine at this time of year, we get overloaded with work between mid november and january which means we can be running late, or we may just want to get on with the job rather than chat... Try and make it as easy as possible for the install... so move furniture or things in the way / decide roughly where you want things before the engineer arrives, if possible make space so the engineer can park safely near the property and not 2 / 3 roads away (and if your feeling really christmassy provide a guest parking permit if needed so the poor guy/gal doesn't get a ticket).

And if possible try to think outside the "box", all engineers try to get every customer in as best as possible and as on time as possible but due to the increased work load, a little bit of "kindness" and just "niceness" go a long way.

DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2014, 09:11   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Think of your engineer this Christmas :)

All good advice ... I've made this a sticky thread until the festive season is over.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 19:35   #3
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

Brill... Thanks!
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 19:24   #4
ruddock08
cf.addict

Services: VIVID 200 Broadband + BT Whole Home WiFi
ruddock08 is on a distinguished roadruddock08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ruddock08

My sister had VM installed last week. Guy was rushed off his feet. Was supposed to be there in the morning - phoned about 11 to ask if he could come about 2. Not a problem at all as long as they let you know in advance
ruddock08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:18   #5
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

Shame VM don't think of their engineers.

Last time I needed a TiVo box replacement, my signal levels were perfect, my installation is perfect, a self install replacement would of been fine.

But they adamantly insisted on sending an engineer.

Cant win sometimes though, a few years back I did some of the work for the people who connect up drop cables and they seemed annoyed?

Had a replacement cable installed, I connected up all of my end, dug the trench and laid the cable in the garden to correct depth for cables.

and when an engineer came to connect telephone cable in pit he connected up pit end... then when team arrived to do the work that had already been done they got annoyed for some reason?

Last edited by RB2004; 01-12-2016 at 13:08.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:53   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Might be worth remembering that the word you're using, when used without the qualifying word "off", in British English does not have the American-English meaning you appear to be invoking. On first reading it sounds like you're complaining about engineers drinking on the job over Christmas.
Old 13-12-2016, 22:15   #7
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

I did today

I made sure my signal levels were spot on, unplugged all 3 of my boxes and put them together... then swapped over the power supplies for him while he was on phone activating the boxes prior to plugging in.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 23:15   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Old 13-12-2016, 23:25   #9
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
Please think of your engineer as a human and not a machine at this time of year, we get overloaded with work between mid november and january which means we can be running late, or we may just want to get on with the job rather than chat... Try and make it as easy as possible for the install... so move furniture or things in the way / decide roughly where you want things before the engineer arrives, if possible make space so the engineer can park safely near the property and not 2 / 3 roads away (and if your feeling really christmassy provide a guest parking permit if needed so the poor guy/gal doesn't get a ticket).

And if possible try to think outside the "box", all engineers try to get every customer in as best as possible and as on time as possible but due to the increased work load, a little bit of "kindness" and just "niceness" go a long way.

I agree, always make the engineer welcome.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote