Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The "I want a website" Guide

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

The "I want a website" Guide

Old 07-11-2006, 07:54   #31
jorye
Inactive

jorye is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The "I want a website" Guide

thanks
jorye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2006, 10:23   #32
Luappy13
Inactive

Luappy13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M View Post
Ensure that the HTML structure is tidy and correct (i.e. use <h1>,<h2>,<h3> tags for headings and title & alt descriptions for images), get respectable sites to link to you then sit back and wait for a month or two.
Don't bother with <meta> tags, nobody uses them anymore.
Well you can slightly speed up the process by actually submitting them to the engines?? ^^

Each engine has a submission page but i recommend using
**Free**
http://www.webyield.net/webceo.html

for engine submission and keyword analysis
Luappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 18:48   #33
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Dont submit to the search engines, it usually get ignored and some search engines blacklist automatic engine submissions.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:46   #34
bernieboy31
Inactive

bernieboy31 is an unknown quantity at this point

New on the web site and browsing the posts and FWIW...

I see you recommend 123-reg.co.uk. My experinces with them have not been that good. They take forever to respond to simple requests via email and their phone number is a premium rate line and you pay good money to be left on hold. 0/10 for service in my book. Also take a look here for more infor on this provider.

Cheers
Bernie
bernieboy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:49   #35
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Hmm, I find them very quick (by internet standards) to deal with. I registered another domain on Saturday and had a problem (my own casusing changed address and fecked things up). Fired off an email and expected to hear nothing till Monday but there was a reply sat in my inbox within an hour.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 23:14   #36
999adrian
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media.
999adrian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I would recommend www.123-reg.co.uk I have been with them for several years, and yes there can be minor problems, but I prefer to stay put. Pricing is very good as well.

HOSTING.

Having organised you web you need to publish it somewhere, that's the real hard bit because often as not you don't really find out until you have taken the package on what you are in for. To cut to the chase >> Vision Internet are great. Loads of facilities at the back of the hosting package, and remember this is the motor that is going to drive your site on the net, if it's a clapped out old heap it's going nowhere. The back end facilities get really technical and include Fantastico, databases, Forums etc etc.

http://www.visn.co.uk

Take a look at the prices and the bandwidth, I'm on a Pro hosting package and it's worth every penny, previous to Vision I had a package with no support and twice the price and no facilities at all.

Leave it with you.

Cheers For Now.

Adrian.
999adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 19:57   #37
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

I'm after creating a simple website so that I can showcase some fish that I have for sale.

I've stumbled across a site that although not finished to the standard I'd like for mine but has the general layout and seems to be very easy to create.

The only issue I have is that running the site looks like it could get expensive if I get much traffic or if I want to use my own domain name.

The site that gave me the idea (and the site I'd create it through) are:

http://www.freewebs.com/cichlids-angelfish/
http://www.freewebs.com/

Now I like the ease of creating the pages and how simple it will be to mark fish out of stock or add new ones as they become of a saleable size. Is there a cheaper site that will do similar things for me but at a more reasonable cost?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 20:41   #38
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers

Really if you're running a business, or creating a website for your business (even if it's just a hobby thing) then it's a good idea to get a domain name and some paid hosting - having adverts and a free domain just doesn't look professional to potential customers.

I haven't used freewebs so can't comment on their website creator tools, but most hosts offer free templates and some kind of easy-to-use interface. Freewebs' paid services do seem a little on the pricey side, but that's probably where they get their money back from the free services.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 21:23   #39
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickendippers View Post
Really if you're running a business, or creating a website for your business (even if it's just a hobby thing) then it's a good idea to get a domain name and some paid hosting - having adverts and a free domain just doesn't look professional to potential customers.

I haven't used freewebs so can't comment on their website creator tools, but most hosts offer free templates and some kind of easy-to-use interface. Freewebs' paid services do seem a little on the pricey side, but that's probably where they get their money back from the free services.
I'm just no good at creating pages myself, spent ages trying to make three pages (in front page) with photos on them work but couldn't.

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

Is there no package I can buy that will give me the features and flexibility of the site above but I can just install on bought webspace?
Old 06-06-2007, 21:45   #40
handyman
Permanently Banned

handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star

Shaun I can do you a basic hosting account that will allow you to use a proper shopping cart for a £1 a month. If that's the sort of thing your after.

Fantastico is a piece of software offerred by most hosts and allows you to install website applications like blogs, forums and shops in 1 click. Make sure if you get paid hosting it is provided as it is great for the starter website builder.
Old 06-06-2007, 21:49   #41
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I'm just no good at creating pages myself, spent ages trying to make three pages (in front page) with photos on them work but couldn't.

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

Is there no package I can buy that will give me the features and flexibility of the site above but I can just install on bought webspace?
if you have hosting with access to cPanel you could look at the 'soholaunch' proggy available to install with fantastico. I haven't tried it, but it looks quite interesting???

<edit> must type faster
Old 06-06-2007, 23:18   #42
Shaun
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
Shaun I can do you a basic hosting account that will allow you to use a proper shopping cart for a £1 a month. If that's the sort of thing your after.

Fantastico is a piece of software offerred by most hosts and allows you to install website applications like blogs, forums and shops in 1 click. Make sure if you get paid hosting it is provided as it is great for the starter website builder.
PM sent

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
if you have hosting with access to cPanel you could look at the 'soholaunch' proggy available to install with fantastico. I haven't tried it, but it looks quite interesting???

<edit> must type faster
Looks promising. Will have a good read about both bits of software - thanks for the recommendation.
Old 05-07-2007, 14:03   #43
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

Quick question, the original guide says this forum is hosted by I-web solutions
Is that on a dedicated plan? or one of their listed shared linux/windows plans?
Seems awfully fast if on a shared plan (which is great :P)

From my own experience, if you want to register a com/net/org domain, go with Godaddy.
I've had little to no hassle with them and they seem to be the cheapest to goto
I had an associate of mine who used to work for them, he told me they make nothing from their sales of domains, which is why they're so cheap, but because of that, they try to convince you to buy other things during the registration process
But you do have full control of the domains, their control panel for managing domains is very extensive.

Hosting wise? depends on who you want to go with
There's plenty of free or cheap shared hosting plans in the UK, but once you move into the VPS/Dedicated arena, costs SOAR
If you're concerned about the cost, but want a dedicated or VPS server at a fair price...get one from the USA
But aim for a company who's datacentre is located on the east coast (lower latency/quicker response time)
My server is based in Dallas, Texas in the USA (West coast), but latency is AOK (Click link in signature to test loading time/responsiveness)

As for who to go with? check out www.webhostingtalk.com
You'll find reviews (Both bad and good) of hosting companies, you'll also find special deals posted in their "Hosting offers" forums by companies, which you sometimes don't find on their sites.

I have my own VPS, with 512mb of dedicated ram, 600gb of bandwith and a 60gb disk, it costs me roughly £21/$42 a month and is well worth it.
I use SLHost.com as my host.
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 14:08   #44
handyman
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
Quick question, the original guide says this forum is hosted by I-web solutions
Is that on a dedicated plan? or one of their listed shared linux/windows plans?
Seems awfully fast if on a shared plan (which is great :P)
AFIAK originally it was hosted elsewhere probably on a shared plan and paid for by the admins/mods. The KP from I-web offered to host the site for free which they took up. The site has advertising on it and now generates enough cash for the site to run on its own paid for dedicated sever.
Old 05-07-2007, 14:50   #45
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

Yea,it's hosted with 1&1, just noticed the link is at the bottom of the forum,
Be interesting to know what experience the server admins here have had with 1&1, because they don't tend to get rave reviews.
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote