Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | RT-N66u not capable of 300mbps?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

RT-N66u not capable of 300mbps?

Old 19-09-2017, 21:19   #16
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: RT-N66u not capable of 300mbps?

I currently get a max of 333Mb down speed through my RT N66U. (Ethernet) This is the Max allowing for overheads in my SH3 Config file. I have no reason to believe that when VM boost me to 350Mb that I wont get 360Mb or more.

Check that your firmware is up to date and that all your ports and switches are capable of gigabit speeds and that any connecting cable is Cat5e or better.

I also get over 300Mb using WiFi in the same room as my N66U.

Ethernet, but with 3 other users currently on line in the house.

Last edited by roughbeast; 19-09-2017 at 21:23.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2017, 21:43   #17
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I currently get a max of 333Mb down speed through my RT N66U. (Ethernet) This is the Max allowing for overheads in my SH3 Config file. I have no reason to believe that when VM boost me to 350Mb that I wont get 360Mb or more.
Yup, the router is capable of it, it just needs hardware acceleration.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 22:15   #18
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Where is Hw acceleration in the Rt-N66U?
Old 20-09-2017, 09:56   #19
Lee
cf.addict

Lee is on a distinguished roadLee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Sometimes even after you turn things off you need to reboot several times. I had a nightmare getting FA to turn on on mine, and since it did have barely dared touch anything (although I only use it as an AP now not a router).

Some info here:
https://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/

There is a page that shows you what is enabled, on mine it's here:

https://imgur.com/C1YQrLu

Both CTF and FA are needed, without either you won't get more than about 80mbit, CTF will get you to around 200, you need both for more.
Thanks for this. On my router for NAT acceleration I only have Enable or Disable... maybe due to a different firmware. It also doesn't show the message you have in yellow.

I can only assume that somehow FA isn't enabled (even though it says it is).

Will try a full factory reset later this morning and see if that helps.

---------- Post added at 08:49 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Where is Hw acceleration in the Rt-N66U?
LAN - SWITCH CONTROL page.

---------- Post added at 08:56 ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post

Check that your firmware is up to date and that all your ports and switches are capable of gigabit speeds and that any connecting cable is Cat5e or better.

I also get over 300Mb using WiFi in the same room as my N66U.

Ethernet, but with 3 other users currently on line in the house.
Well this proves it must be possible then.

My firmware is not the latest, as from what I've read over on the smallnetbuilder forums, the older firmware level is better. There is a guy called john who maintains this version with the latest updates.

Quote:
This is an LTS (Long Term Service) fork of Asuswrt-Merlin based on 374.43_2. This older code base has a history of being very stable, and some of the older code components may perform better in some environments. It may be a good choice for those who desire a 'set it and forget it' router solution

I do have a gigabit switch inbetween my pc and the router, but I have no problem transferring to my NAS at 110MB/s which is max gigabit speed so I don't think that's the issue.

If the factory reset doesn't help I may as well try the newest firmware I guess and see if that helps.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 12:10   #20
Lee
cf.addict

OK so I have an update with good news!

I did a factory reset on the firmware i was using which was the latest of johns LTS (374.43_27E5j9527) and then immediately ran a speedtest without changing anything. No joy, same 230mbps limit.

So decided to try the latest merlin fw (380.68_2) and lo and behold I've now got full speed!

Interestingly on the LAN - SWITCH CONTROL page it only shows CTF is enabled:

On the new version there is a nice cpu graph too, so you can see the cpu load whilst doing a speed test. Much better:

Guess I'm going to have to return the new router I ordered last night.... oops !

Last edited by Lee; 20-09-2017 at 12:27.
Old 20-09-2017, 13:46   #21
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Great! Good news. Merlin 380.68_2 you say? I might try that myself.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 14:11   #22
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
OK so I have an update with good news!

I did a factory reset on the firmware i was using which was the latest of johns LTS (374.43_27E5j9527) and then immediately ran a speedtest without changing anything. No joy, same 230mbps limit.

So decided to try the latest merlin fw (380.68_2) and lo and behold I've now got full speed!

Interestingly on the LAN - SWITCH CONTROL page it only shows CTF is enabled:

On the new version there is a nice cpu graph too, so you can see the cpu load whilst doing a speed test. Much better:

Guess I'm going to have to return the new router I ordered last night.... oops !

You may find your Wireless range reduced with the latest Merlin as it uses the newer ASUS drivers. This was the main reason John forked Merlin in the first place.
Old 20-09-2017, 15:32   #23
Lee
cf.addict

Yeah, I'll have to see how I get on i guess.
Old 20-09-2017, 15:34   #24
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Good job! Yes Asus nuked the wireless performance somewhat to placate the FCC despite them only having jurisdiction in the US.

Turning off spanning tree protocol might get you FA, but if you're happy with the current performance then yay!
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 15:43   #25
Lee
cf.addict

I've tried turning off the spanning tree protocol (read it on one of the links) but still only shows CTF.

Still, it maxes the connection at around 50% cpu, so seems like it will work