Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New router required to replace D Link DIR 615

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New router required to replace D Link DIR 615

Old 28-02-2013, 11:50   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
New router required to replace D Link DIR 615

My 2 year old D-Link DIR 615 router appears to have a problem. It's been a bit slow and temperemental on and off lately but first thing this morning we could get no internet access via wi-fi on either of our household laptops. I rang Virgin faults and spent an hour on the phone to India going through tests, swapping wires, trying to alter settings and them finding bad IP addresses ??? with the result that a new router is going to be sent out. At first the chap thought it might be a wi-fi issue but connecting my PC to the router via the ethernet cable didn't work either so now I'm now connected to the net via my trusty NTL cable modem via a nice long wire... lol

Being without a router for maybe a week, however, is going to be a problem since my wife and son both need to use the internet frequently for their studies so I'm thinking of getting a cheap new wi-fi router from our local Argos or Maplin to use immediately. I've no idea what VM will be sending but it'll be useful to have a spare and if it's cheap who cares. What I need is something really easy to install and reliable. Although I know it's been slated, we've been pretty happy with the D Link so don't need anything supercharged as it were. Not sure if it's relevant but we're on 20mb BB currently with no plans to upgrade that but I have no idea what the DIR 615 specs are. Anyone got any ideas what cheap modems from Argos or Maplin would suit this purpose and be at least as good as the above? In the short term it wouldn't be too much hassle to connect a couple of our pcs via cable if necessary, just want to get a service up and running ASAP

Would a Netgear N150 be OK? Seems cheap at £30

http://www.maplin.co.uk/netgear-n150...-router-390957

Many thanks.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-02-2013, 13:22   #2
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society
Re: New router required to replace D Link DIR 615

Are they not sending you a Superhub?
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 13:33   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

No idea. The rep couldn't tell me what I'd get.

Anyway I've just bought the Netgear and am trying to set it up right now.

Update:

Well, all seems to be working but being a paranoid old fart there'll always be a shred of doubt...
Old 28-02-2013, 15:49   #4
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

you've been ripped off. be sure to return it when you get your equipment through the post. so long as youve secure wifi wpa2 you should be good. firewall should be enabled from the go.

your on 20meg so youll be doubled to 60meg if you havent already been doubled. i'd call in to retentions and tell them youve had troubles all of which should of been logged from your previous call. if you havent yet been doubled then tell them your on 20meg soon to be 60meg and to save hassle could you be upgraded early. that should get your a SH sent out. you can also while your on the phone ask for your mobile number to be added onto the order/delivery of new equipment which will see you receive text messages of tracking number and ETA
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 16:17   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Yeah, routers like that are not worth more than £5 but if you need one now there's very little you can do.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 16:32   #6
Osem
Inactive

We were doubled to 20mb a couple of months ago.

Well guys, I just updated the firmware and found that the user interface now looks quite different. Also when I look at the wireless settings it's shows the region as N. America for some reason but it's greyed out and I can't change it to Europe which is what it was set at before the update. A help notice below states the region etc. must be set correctly but not how to change it?

The are selections which can be made for channel i.e. Auto or 1, 2, 3, 4.... etc. and speed i.e. up to 72mbps or up to 150 mbps but there's no advice about which to choose. It's set on Channel Auto and up to 72 mbps.
Old 28-02-2013, 16:39   #7
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

model number?
Old 28-02-2013, 16:44   #8
Osem
Inactive

Netgear wnr1000
Old 28-02-2013, 16:46   #9
thenry
Inactive

v 1/2/3 ?
Old 28-02-2013, 16:47   #10
Osem
Inactive

V3
Old 28-02-2013, 17:03   #11
thenry
Inactive

open this > http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/other/

and do as marked below in image

when you click on the boxed Firmware Version 1.0.2.54 (All regions except North America) a window will appear, click on download then another window will appear wanting registration, ignore it click on Continue without registering and the firmware will start downloading. an install guide is within the zip file.
Attached Images
File Type: png right firmware.PNG (63.9 KB, 46 views)
Old 28-02-2013, 17:13   #12
Osem
Inactive

OK downloaded it and now have a compressed .chk file in 'my documents'

What do i do with that? I clicked on it but it won't open.
Old 28-02-2013, 17:20   #13
thenry
Inactive

right click the WNR1000v3-V1.0.2.54_60.0.82.chk.zip file and extract

you then have 3 files...

WNR1000v3-V1.0.2.54_60.0.82.chk - Firmware

WNR1000v3-V1.0.2.54_60.0.82.chk_md5.txt - ignore the text file

WNR1000v3-V1.0.2.54_60.0.82NA&WW_ReleaseNote.html - release notes and install guide

Quote:
Installation Instructions:

Download/move the firmware file to a convenient place such as your desktop.
Click Maintenance > Router Upgrade.
Click Browse and locate the file you just downloaded.
Click Upload. While the firmware is loading, do not interrupt the upgrade process.
The router reboots when the upgrade is complete.
After the router boots up, log in the router again.
To check that the upgrade was successful, log in to the router again at http://www.routerlogin.net and check the firmware version.
if you can do all the above without the WAN active so no VM to router link. link to the router using LAN1/2/3/4 then link the router to the cable modem once everythings set up. dont forget to secure wifi etc.
Old 28-02-2013, 17:32   #14
Osem
Inactive

Sorry mate, clicking the file doesn't do anything just get a nessage that Windows can't open it as the compressed folder is invalid. Right clicking and hitting extract all tells me the folder is empty and that I must first copy files to this folder but it's showing 315kb. ?
Old 28-02-2013, 17:34   #15
thenry
Inactive

fail download. try downloading again. the zip file size should be 2.83MB