Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless router access control

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless router access control

Old 24-11-2008, 11:25   #1
slip
Inactive

slip is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to slip Send a message via MSN to slip
Red face Wireless router access control

Ello every1 ..
I have a situation :p
I am a student , living in a building with few more students , and theres like more of us using same wireless conection .Since i am world of warcraft user :p and rest of the "girls" is facebook and youtube addict , i go liek 2k + latencies sometimes :P

and I cant enjoy playing like that :P
So we have Thompson ST585 , and i got into it ..I found its IP , user and pass blabla..The thing i am interested in , how to limit or ban some IP adresses on it , so i can enjoy my game ,since they dont need liek so high speeds , or internet at all
I read somwhere that i can make limits from QoS ( quality of service somethin g ) but i would rather like to ban and stuff and again i've read that its possible from Firewall , banning an IP Adress =) If anyone knows something about it , i could really use some help !

i could use even only dc-ing someone from it but ban or limit would be perfect

I am asking here since theres no "serious forums" in my country !

ye sorry on ma bad english :P
slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-11-2008, 12:47   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Wireless router THREADZORS!

Are you all paying for this connection? If so what right do you have deciding who can and cannot access the internet just because it slows your gaming down?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 12:55   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Wireless router THREADZORS!

I take it you're the one paying for the connection, and therefore it's your right to choose who else can use it?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 13:05   #4
slip
Inactive

Re: Wireless router access control

owner of the place is paying and owner is my uncle...

i need halp ! for answers like that i could've look on Croatian forums (

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Are you all paying for this connection? If so what right do you have deciding who can and cannot access the internet just because it slows your gaming down?
well their facebook will be openable
Old 24-11-2008, 13:09   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

We're not Croatia forums. But we're a responsible bunch of people who don't like giving advice to people so they can go off and do something naughty.

If you want to block people altogether, why not just set WPA encryption, then don't share the password with them?
Old 24-11-2008, 13:18   #6
slip
Inactive

Well yea that would be the best choice, but i dont wanna make others (since they are mine friends, and they hate me playing wow , so 90% of my lag is be cuz they wanna gtfo me from my pc :p ) so only limit would be great, and than they can download whatever they want :P..

I know ur not Croatian forum ,that makes me " please can u gtfo from our forum" or what? :<
On our forums we always welcome foreign peeps
Old 24-11-2008, 13:22   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Anyone is welcome here, so long as they behave and don't want information in order to screw over someone else.
Old 24-11-2008, 13:27   #8
slip
Inactive

-.-

Well , this is forum where i could learn something , in this case i wanna learn what i asked for
I am not killing anyone =)

And its not screwing any1 else , the game is sensitive when someone is opening a webpage etc , he takes all the speed, that makes my game laggy !
Every1 knows what WoW is ...been playing for like 3 years , now i moved and my internet is playin with meh
Hope that someone wont judge so much , and give me some answers !
U've got beers when i come North of Watford
Old 24-11-2008, 13:53   #9
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

You need to check the contract for the renters, if it states internet access then you have to look for a way to limit bandwidth. The only ways i can see doing it is a managed switch or a proxy server, i doubt either will be simple though as this is not a basic setup. Failing that buy another connection just for yourself.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 13:57   #10
slip
Inactive

Looks like it will be easier to sneak up in their places and install net limiter :P...

Btw my avatar is missing =P
Old 24-11-2008, 14:01   #11
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

It's your funeral, i wouldn't be happy if someone did that to me.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 14:05   #12
slip
Inactive

Btw friend mentioned me that its possible with QoS to do it , anyone knows something about it ?
Old 24-11-2008, 16:13   #13
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwell View Post
It's your funeral, i wouldn't be happy if someone did that to me.
+1. In my halls of residence, I've already given one girl access (she paid me til Xmas, I was fine with it) to our internet account because someone else was being over-zealous with internet access in her flat. It's amazing how much control people think they can have over other's internet provisions.

BTW, what's your connection speed to the modem?
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 16:17   #14
EliteStatus
Inactive

EliteStatus is an unknown quantity at this point

What router have you got? on my belkin you can ether go to Mac adress Filtering of Client Ip filter.
EliteStatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 16:27   #15
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Yeah, my Belkin can do that, however I haven't set it cos first time I did, it locked me out. Had to reset the bugger.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote