Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

[Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030

Old 15-10-2017, 19:51   #436
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Petrol & diesel vehicles ban (2040).

In the last 9 years the price of LPG has more than doubled near me!
Old 16-10-2017, 19:32   #437
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
In the last 9 years the price of LPG has more than doubled near me!
IIRC it's still half the price of petrol around here but whatever fuel we use you can be sure that any price (or other) incentives HMG offers to get us all to buy into it won't last long. They have to recoup the lost fuel duty from somewhere and charging infrastructure is going to cost a fortune to install and maintain..
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 21:15   #438
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

The Government are just reacting to where the industry is going. They don't have enough power by themselves to go against the trend
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 14:42   #439
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The Government are just reacting to where the industry is going. They don't have enough power by themselves to go against the trend
Nah. This is being driven first and foremost by Govt. environmental policy and having led us all up the garden path with regard to diesel, they're no doing the same thing with electric. If they could, the car companies would carry on churning out diesels equipped with cheat devices.
Old 17-10-2017, 15:14   #440
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Nah. This is being driven first and foremost by Govt. environmental policy and having led us all up the garden path with regard to diesel, they're no doing the same thing with electric. If they could, the car companies would carry on churning out diesels equipped with cheat devices.
Many companies already announced the move to electric years before the government introduced this 2040 goal. Volvo had even said they've got an end-date for their petrol engines before 2030. Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Peugeot and BMW amongst others are all at various points in this transition. It's why as I said at the start of the thread that the 2040 announcement is rather unambitious.

Not to say it's imminent. The vast majority of cars sold are still petrol and will be so for the next few years but it seems electric is only going to go in one direction as it makes up more and more of those sales. The question is when will we get to 50%....
Old 17-10-2017, 20:36   #441
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Only hope the price of electric cars will be reasonable and that the battery tech will improve significantly.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 21:19   #442
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Many companies already announced the move to electric years before the government introduced this 2040 goal. Volvo had even said they've got an end-date for their petrol engines before 2030. Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Peugeot and BMW amongst others are all at various points in this transition. It's why as I said at the start of the thread that the 2040 announcement is rather unambitious.

Not to say it's imminent. The vast majority of cars sold are still petrol and will be so for the next few years but it seems electric is only going to go in one direction as it makes up more and more of those sales. The question is when will we get to 50%....
Being relatively young I'm sure 2040 seems like a lifetime away for you but it really isn't much time to get stuff done and it's no good praying that there'll be some timely revolution in technology which will obviate the need for hugely costly national charging infrastructure to be put in place to keep all our vehicles on the move. Who's going to pay for that do you think and what effect will that have on the real cost to us of electric vehicles? Right now the national grid almost creaks when people put their kettles during popular TV events how much worse will it be when we're all trying to charge our vehicles? A lot's going to have to be done to prevent this whole thing from turning out very costly indeed, both in terms of cash and our freedom of movement.
Old 18-10-2017, 14:17   #443
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

At the moment I am seeing at least one fully electric vehicle pass me on the road every time I go out (most common is the Nissan Leaf). One of my friends just bought one as well. It’s happening, and apparently at an increasing pace.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 14:36   #444
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
At the moment I am seeing at least one fully electric vehicle pass me on the road every time I go out (most common is the Nissan Leaf). One of my friends just bought one as well. It’s happening, and apparently at an increasing pace.
i saw a Tesla a few months back other than that all i see is traditional vehicles and a few hybrids .
Old 18-10-2017, 14:47   #445
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

I see quite a few Teslas now but this is London.
Old 18-10-2017, 17:36   #446
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

We had a Tesla owner stay with us last year. Loved having it on the driveway even if it was only for one night.

Someone local must own one as well, because I’ve seen one on the roads near here a couple of times lately.

They are very, very lovely machines, and capable of replacing a petro-fuelled car for just about anyone short of a hard working sales rep.

Pity I’ll never have the means to own one though!
Old 18-10-2017, 17:58   #447
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
We had a Tesla owner stay with us last year. Loved having it on the driveway even if it was only for one night.

Someone local must own one as well, because I’ve seen one on the roads near here a couple of times lately.

They are very, very lovely machines, and capable of replacing a petro-fuelled car for just about anyone short of a hard working sales rep.

The model S is very tasty indeed. We’ll start seeing even more of them (Teslas ) in the coming 18 months when the more accessible Model 3 hits the right hand drive markets.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 18:11   #448
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

oh yea wink wink poor guest house owner
Old 18-10-2017, 18:14   #449
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
oh yea wink wink poor guest house owner
Don't worry as l am sure the CF mods will club together to buy him one.
Old 18-10-2017, 21:50   #450
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Well as I am now retraining as a Baptist church minister I am neither going to secure a fat salary, nor win the lottery. So I guess I’d better find a house near my church so I’ll only ever have to worry about shoe leather.