Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | bbc hd/bcc1hd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

bbc hd/bcc1hd

Old 27-10-2010, 12:31   #1
cwj2008
Inactive

cwj2008 will become famous soon enoughcwj2008 will become famous soon enoughcwj2008 will become famous soon enough
bbc hd/bcc1hd

BBC HD has been moved to 187, and on 108 now is a slate showing BBC1HD
starting on the 3rd of nov
cwj2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-10-2010, 20:17   #2
bensden
Inactive

Services: XL TV M Broadband XL Telephone. Samsung V+
bensden is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: bbc hd/bcc1hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwj2008 View Post
BBC HD has been moved to 187, and on 108 now is a slate showing BBC1HD
starting on the 3rd of nov
I just hope the new BBC HD has subtitles. Unlike ITV HD which I still can't watch due to hearing problems.
bensden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 20:23   #3
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Do any series links for BBC HD have to be reset? Someone on DS suggests that they do: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s....php?t=1376285
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 23:04   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan View Post
Do any series links for BBC HD have to be reset? Someone on DS suggests that they do: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s....php?t=1376285
They should be fine. It doesn't use the channel number to make recordings.

If in doubt, just check in Planned Series.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 23:15   #5
Physci
cf.member

Services: VIP
Physci is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
They should be fine. It doesn't use the channel number to make recordings.

If in doubt, just check in Planned Series.
Ha, just had to reset my Mad Men series link - realised it was not recording just in time!
Physci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 00:37   #6
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Just noticed that certain series records such as Strictly Come Dancing and Graham Norton that were on BBC HD have now dissapeared as they are now on BBC1 HD. Had to reset them. Beware.
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:48   #7
Moonblade
Inactive

Services: V+ box, XL TV
Moonblade is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing I noticed was that QI one BBC 1 HD is upscaled, but is in HD on BBC HD. Very odd...
Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:37   #8
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonblade View Post
One thing I noticed was that QI one BBC 1 HD is upscaled, but is in HD on BBC HD. Very odd...
Thats clever as BBC 1 HD does not appear to be transmitting yet

I have just looked on the EPG and on a quick glance cant see anything marked as HD or upscaled (as ITV 1 does).
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:46   #9
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
Thats clever as BBC 1 HD does not appear to be transmitting yet
It's testing on satellite.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 15:09   #10
bensden
Inactive

Services: XL TV M Broadband XL Telephone. Samsung V+
bensden is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensden View Post
I just hope the new BBC HD has subtitles. Unlike ITV HD which I still can't watch due to hearing problems.
Well as I feared there are no subtitles on BBC1 HD, Those of us who need them, are now worse off than we were before, when BBC HD channel carried the apprentice & various other popular programs we got subtitles,now these have transferred to BBC1 HD we have even lost these. I think this must be a Virgin problem because all the program info from BBC says that subtitles are available, I hope Virgin sort this out quickly otherwise HD is useless to customers like me who have a hearing problem.
bensden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:45   #11
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

It looks to me that the BBC's regional programmes will continue to be broadcast in SD for a while yet, and I view the 'creative solutions' solution as a bit suspect - I think they are playing for time to offset criticism.

Given that the issue is said to be lack of money, can anyone figure out what these 'creative solutions' could be?

Having regard to the time taken so far, maybe they should skip HD and go straight to UHD!

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/10/b...solutions.html

Last edited by OLD BOY; 02-10-2017 at 10:33.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:52   #12
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It looks to me that the BBC's regional programmes will continue to be broadcast in SD for a while yet, and I view the 'creative solutions' solution as a bit suspect - I think they are playing for time to offset criticism.

Given that the issue is said to be lack of money, can anyone figure out what these 'creative solutions' could be?

Having regard to the time taken so far, maybe they should skip HD and go straight to UHD!
And how many people have UHD OB?.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:34   #13
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And how many people have UHD OB?.
My point was that by the time they get around to it, UHD will be the new HD!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:03   #14
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
From the article: "In a world where two thirds of homes have their main TV connected to the internet, we could look to the internet to provide local content in HD. Alternatively we might find a way for audiences to move more conveniently between HD and SD"

Quote:
My point was that by the time they get around to it, UHD will be the new HD!
UHD will never be HD, and will always be more expensive. If the BBC can't afford HD, they certainly can't afford UHD
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 15:00   #15
jj20x

Quote:
IHaving regard to the time taken so far, maybe they should skip HD and go straight to UHD!
For the studios yes. It makes sense to future proof any upgrades by using the latest equipment. Replacing a single HD feed with multiple regional HD feeds would be expensive and if the costs have to be covered by the regional content budget, what's the point? It's only worthwhile viewing the content in HD if there is cash available to produce the content. It would make more sense if SD simulcasting was to end, reducing the cost of providing duplicate services.

As for broadcasting in UHD, broadcasters aren't exactly being crushed in the rush to bring linear broadcasts to the masses, it's just too expensive. For something like BBC regional content, possibly a step too far.

Last edited by jj20x; 02-10-2017 at 15:33.