Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys Router keeps knocking me offline when I change settings?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys Router keeps knocking me offline when I change settings?

Old 14-02-2006, 06:49   #1
Simcut
Inactive

Services: 120mbit Virgin Media Cable Sky Digital Package (Sky+)
Simcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about them
Unhappy Linksys Router keeps knocking me offline when I change settings?

Hi guys,

I bought a Linksys BEFSRv4 or was it v5 about 2 weeks ago.

Question I had was, everytime I change a setting in the router configuration and click save settings, it comes up with a message in the bottom right of the screen saying "network cable unplugged" and it came up with my local area network icon with a red cross through it, then about 4/5 seconds later the red cross disappears and the connection stabilises again.

This is quite annoying as it closes my MSN Messenger or my mIRC.

Is there a way of stopping this happening? its driving me barmy :/ this even happens when I do something like add ports to the port forwarding screen, this didnt use to happen on my Belkin router :/

Thanks.
Simcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2006, 07:57   #2
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
Re: Linksys Router keeps knocking me offline when I change settings?

are you connecting by wireless when adjusting these settings? if so it's probably because it's doing a quick reset of the router when the settings are changed which momentarily drops the wireless connection.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 08:32   #3
Simcut
Inactive

Services: 120mbit Virgin Media Cable Sky Digital Package (Sky+)
Simcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about them
Smile Re: Linksys Router keeps knocking me offline when I change settings?

Nope, Im using a wired router mate
Simcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 09:27   #4
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

I have the linksys wireless G router and dont experience this problem. perhaps because yours is an older model?
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 09:52   #5
Pø†øƒGøLÐ
Inactive

Services: 10meg BY Cable
Pø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via MSN to Pø†øƒGøLÐ

It could be the firmware your router is using. I have the BEFSX41 and have a similar situation, but when I upgraded the firmware the problem ceased.

I did downgrade the firmware tho as the older firmware suited my needs better, and decided to just "live with the problem".
Pø†øƒGøLÐ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 09:59   #6
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

As etccarmageddon says, the firmware running is just running a reset as the quickest way to ensure the config changes have been made.

I wouldn't have thought it'd make much difference on wireless or wired - the whole lot will be bounced. My guess is that the status light (the WRT54G uses the power light to indicate status) is flashing while your disconnected at this point as well.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote