Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Intermittent access between computers on network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Intermittent access between computers on network

Old 15-10-2006, 20:18   #1
Anastasis
Inactive

Anastasis is an unknown quantity at this point
Intermittent access between computers on network

A few weeks ago I bought a laptop plus a Linkysys WRT54G wireless router so as to be able to share NTLWorld Internet access with my main PC.

Both computers connect to the Internet without problem, but I have had problems with the two computers connecting together for file sharing between the two and for using the USB printer connected to my main PC.

I have set sharing permissions on the folders I want to be able to "see" on each computer (in addition to the standard XP home "shared folders").

Both computers use a Norton Firewall rather than the built-in XP option which has been disabled. On both computers I have gone into the Personal Firewall configuration and used the wizard on the Networking tab to set a Trusted Zone. This has configured the zone on each to be the following:

Main PC:
IP: 198.168.1.0
Mask: 255.255.255.0

Laptop:
IP: 198.168.2.0

I have done an ipconfig on both computers and they report the following:

Main PC:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Laptop:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

As I write now, both computers can "see" each other, but I have other times as earlier this afternoon, when they don't, but I haven't changed anything.

Is the configuration I have correct? If so, why am I getting this intermittent access between the computers via the router when the connection on both out to the Internet always works?

Also, from time to time, I have another laptop that I use and I would like that to also be included in the network when at home. That too has Norton Firewall - should I be configuring that any differently than using the Norton Firewall wizard to create the Trusted Zone?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice on this.
Anastasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-10-2006, 20:24   #2
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Re: Intermittent access between computers on network

Not sure, but why would the IPs in the trusted zone be different from the actual IPs as reported by ipconfig?

Can you enter the actual IPs manually to be in the trusted zone?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 20:25   #3
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

What do you mean by "cannot see each other". Can they not ping, or do you mean you cannot browse to the other PC? Or something else?
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 20:56   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Are they both connected wired, or is one wireless. If using a mix of wired and wireless make sure your router's configuration uses infrastructure mode.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 21:36   #5
Anastasis
Inactive

Hello all - thanks for your replies on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Not sure, but why would the IPs in the trusted zone be different from the actual IPs as reported by ipconfig?

Can you enter the actual IPs manually to be in the trusted zone?
Yes, IPs can be entered manually into the Norton Firewall networking configuration, either an individual IP, or a range of IPs, or using a network address and subnet mask.

Would I be setting this manually and if so, what do I need to set to allow for both my main PC and laptop plus any other laptop I may bring home and want to allow to connect into my network?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencreeper View Post
What do you mean by "cannot see each other". Can they not ping, or do you mean you cannot browse to the other PC? Or something else?
When I say they "cannot see each other" (sorry probably a silly expression), I cannot browse to the other PC in My Network Places or connect to it in Add Network Place. I haven't tried pinging when they are in this state, so I don't know if that would show something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C View Post
Are they both connected wired, or is one wireless. If using a mix of wired and wireless make sure your router's configuration uses infrastructure mode.
The main PC is wired into the router, the other is wireless. I have looked on the various tabs of my WRT54G's configuration but cannot find anything about "infrastructure mode" - sorry, do you know where would I check and set that. I've looked in the user manual too and it doesn't seem to mention this mode.

Thanks all.
Old 15-10-2006, 21:42   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasis View Post
configured the zone on each to be the following:

Main PC:
IP: 198.168.1.0

Laptop:
IP: 198.168.2.0
Well that looks wrong to me.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 22:04   #7
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Would I be setting this manually and if so, what do I need to set to allow for both my main PC and laptop plus any other laptop I may bring home and want to allow to connect into my network?
I'd set 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.10(x-1) where x is the number of PCs connected...
Old 15-10-2006, 23:03   #8
greencreeper
Inactive

greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

If you go to Start... Run... and type the IP address of the PC, what happens? If you type the name of the PC, what happens?
Old 15-10-2006, 23:21   #9
Anastasis
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by [LEFT
Cobbydaler[/left];34137620]I'd set 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.10(x-1) where x is the number of PCs connected...
OK, I will try that instead of the automatic setting from the Norton Firewall wizard. I presume I need to do that on each computer that I want to include in the network? I still do not understand where this "infrastructure mode" fits in or how I set it on my
Linksys WRT54G router.

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

Quote:
If you go to Start... Run... and type the IP address of the PC, what happens? If you type the name of the PC, what happens?
I tried both, but think I must be misunderstanding your instructions on this as isn't this the way to "run" a command such as an executable or batch file?

I get an error with both saying, "Windows cannot find 'xxxxxxxxxx'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search." (where 'xxxxxxxxx' is the IP address or name of my PC).
Old 16-10-2006, 00:08   #10
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The main PC is wired into the router, the other is wireless. I have looked on the various tabs of my WRT54G's configuration but cannot find anything about "infrastructure mode" - sorry, do you know where would I check and set that. I've looked in the user manual too and it doesn't seem to mention this mode.
The user manual discusses this in Chapter 2: Planning your Wireless Network. Having said that I can't see where in the manual you are told how to change the setting.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 06:21   #11
greencreeper
Inactive

Quote:
I tried both, but think I must be misunderstanding your instructions on this as isn't this the way to "run" a command such as an executable or batch file?

I get an error with both saying, "Windows cannot find 'xxxxxxxxxx'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search." (where 'xxxxxxxxx' is the IP address or name of my PC).
That's me being vague. Effects of a bottle of Riesling. I meant, type two backward slashes, then the name/IP address: \\mypc and \\10.9.8.7
Old 16-10-2006, 07:38   #12
Anastasis
Inactive

Quote:
That's me being vague. Effects of a bottle of Riesling. I meant, type two backward slashes, then the name/IP address: \\mypc and \\10.9.8.7
That's OK, I hope it was good!

On my main PC it brings up a My Computer type window. On my laptop this morning it comes up with an error saying, "The network path was not found". In this state, the two computers cannot "see" each other again as per my earlier description.
Old 16-10-2006, 08:11   #13
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C View Post
The user manual discusses this in Chapter 2: Planning your Wireless Network. Having said that I can't see where in the manual you are told how to change the setting.
I think you set infrastructure/ad-hoc mode in your NIC's configuration software...

I'd be surprised if it was set to ad-hoc, infrastructure's usually the default.